NFL News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah, the Jags are pretty much off the rails after 6 weeks, and I don't see how Pederson can last the season.  Pederson was brought in to shepherd the development of Lawrence, and Lawrence is regressing badly. 

Irony alert, so did Carson Wentz! 

That team literally caught lighting in a bottle and got on a roll. 

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I would just call Haslam's bluff at that point.  Stefanski gets paid whether they fire him or keep him so he has nothing to lose except more games.  No sense in further destroying the locker room by continuing to run that turd out on the field.

Not only that but he's also screwing up HIS ability to get another job (though I'm pretty sure that most NFL people know who the toxic organizations are and take that into consideration)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yeah, the Jags are pretty much off the rails after 6 weeks, and I don't see how Pederson can last the season.  Pederson was brought in to shepherd the development of Lawrence, and Lawrence is regressing badly. 

I think the Jags basic problem is that it's a badly constructed team.  For a microcosm of this just look at their receiving corps- it's all deep threat types, and NFL defenses league wide are committing to "nothing over the top" this year.

It's the difference between having Christian Watson, Jayden Reed, Romeo Doubs, etc. and having 5 Christian Watsons.

35 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think the Jags basic problem is that it's a badly constructed team.  For a microcosm of this just look at their receiving corps- it's all deep threat types, and NFL defenses league wide are committing to "nothing over the top" this year.

It's the difference between having Christian Watson, Jayden Reed, Romeo Doubs, etc. and having 5 Christian Watsons.

Seems like Kirk is more of a slot than a deep threat WR

Apparently, the Jets players learned Saleh was fired along with the rest of us... from Schefter.  What a clown show.

Inside the Jets' split with coach Robert Saleh

This quote from Rodgers is actually pretty funny.

"It started as like a scene out of 'John Wick,' when he becomes excommunicado and everybody at the Continental gets a buzz on their phone," said quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who was in the training room. "That's literally how it was: Phone starts buzzing, and you're faced with the reality."

Edited by Mazrimiv

30 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Seems like Kirk is more of a slot than a deep threat WR

By size, sure.  But he's currently #16 among all WRs in ADOT and #15 in Deep Targets, and #11 in Air Yards on receptions.  So they're not using him like a traditional slot (by comparison Jayden Reed- who is having a good season- ranks #51, #62, and #55 in those same metrics.)

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

By size, sure.  But he's currently #16 among all WRs in ADOT and #15 in Deep Targets, and #11 in Air Yards on receptions.  So they're not using him like a traditional slot (by comparison Jayden Reed- who is having a good season- ranks #51, #62, and #55 in those same metrics.)

To me, that's more of an offensive identity/philosophy issue than roster construction issue.  Kirk has always been suited to the slot.  ARI used him in the slot on his rookie deal, and he fills the slot role for JAX.  Gabe Davis and Brian Thomas are the outside WR's for JAX.   Kirk's ADOT of 13.1 so far this season is a significant outlier for his career, and I would expect that number to come down as the season continues.  His ADOT for both 2022 and 2023 was under 10, while Reed's ADOT for 2023 was 10.3