NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, Greg C. said:

What would be the better outcome? Brown losing all of that money or the Patriots losing all of that money? I guess either way is fine, or maybe half-and-half. A prolonged dispute would be entertaining. It's all good. 

I hope NE is forced to pay him.  That is my preferred scenario.  They should not have signed him after the crap he pulled in Oak.  

33 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does anyone still want to talk about how AB is some kind of puppet master, manipulating this whole situation to serve his own ends?

He obviously acted with intent to get out of Oakland.

He obviously was not trying to get out of NE. He just is an idiot. 

Both can be true (and are).

4 hours ago, Greg C. said:

What would be the better outcome? Brown losing all of that money or the Patriots losing all of that money? I guess either way is fine, or maybe half-and-half. A prolonged dispute would be entertaining. It's all good. 

Multiple sources suggest NE plans to withhold all of the 9M in bonus money, and AB will have to go after them through the NFLPA or in court to get it.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He obviously acted with intent to get out of Oakland.

He obviously was not trying to get out of NE. He just is an idiot. 

Both can be true (and are).

Depends on how early you think he was self-sabotaging his stay in OAK.  If you want to say he was deliberately acting to get out of OAK the last few weeks of camp, I have no issue with that.  I've read multiple posts suggesting he never intended to play there this season, and this "plan" to flake out has been in the works from the day he landed there.  I don't buy that at all.  At it's core, this is about a guy who can't control himself, and has been (deliberately or not) booted from three different teams in 6 months as a result.

25 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Depends on how early you think he was self-sabotaging his stay in OAK.  If you want to say he was deliberately acting to get out of OAK the last few weeks of camp, I have no issue with that.  I've read multiple posts suggesting he never intended to play there this season, and this "plan" to flake out has been in the works from the day he landed there.  I don't buy that at all.  At it's core, this is about a guy who can't control himself, and has been (deliberately or not) booted from three different teams in 6 months as a result.

I'm not going to try and divine what's in the mind of another person. Not a skill I possess.

I maintain that if OAK was so inclined, they could have brought AB in and "resolved" the fine matter - which is what set him off. Besides the feet issue, the helmet issue and I cant think of another......the fine(s) is what got the ball rolling.

Plenty of NFL players have accumulated all sorts of fines - very often associated with "I really dont want to be involved in training camp, so......" and I'd wager many were higher than AB's total. The resolution (dismissal/reduction/payment) of those fines didnt result in the player being cut/released. 

Over time, ABs had all sort of "confrontation" with coaches of differing stripe. It may have lessened the market of interested organizations - but it didnt zero it out and he wasnt cut from any organization as a consequence. If desire was there, that hatchet could have / would have been buried with a handshake. Permanently buried? Who knows. It's all guesswork.

But I think OAK saw the civil penalty / sexual matter on the horizon - weighed hassle in versus money out - saw an opportunity to cut bait clean - and took it.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does anyone still want to talk about how AB is some kind of puppet master, manipulating this whole situation to serve his own ends?

Theory still holds!

His goal was to trade 30 million for a few contested mil minus legal costs. 

Edited by Uffdaswede

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

I maintain that if OAK was so inclined, they could have brought AB in and "resolved" the fine matter - which is what set him off. Besides the feet issue, the helmet issue and I cant think of another......the fine(s) is what got the ball rolling.

The fact that OAK was not so inclined is kind of the point