OC Johnny Morton is OUT; Jeremy Bates hired per Schefter

Bianconero

41 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

The ideal would be Arians, but I don't think he'll come out of retirement.

he might come by for a consultant role. Similar to what we did with Tom Moore.

My gut says it's Haley. If our top goal was to promote Bates, we would have done it sooner. With Haley out, you can get him or promote Bates. With Haley working with each other before, just seems like the guy he would go for. Here is a big plus with him, he might play a big part in recruiting L.Bell if we want him.

What if the plan is to bring in Haley to not only improve the play calling, but to recruit L.Bell then have Bell help recruit his fellow Mich State alumni Kirk Cousins to join him? Then get a center via draft or free agency.

That could change everything.

Just now, rickyt31 said:

What if the plan is to bring in Haley to not only improve the play calling, but to recruit L.Bell then have Bell help recruit his fellow Mich State alumni Kirk Cousins to join him? Then get a center via draft or free agency.

That could change everything.

Now your talking ricky

DeFlippo is having a 2nd interview with the Cardinals for the HC job. If he doesn't get the job, then I think we have a shot. Sadly, I can't imagine the team fired an OC for the chance we might get our top OC target, let alone one who would probably leave for a HC job in a year or 2.

My guess is that they are looking at someone with close ties to Arians, possibly from the Arians-Bowles staff in Arizona. I think Bowles wants someone he knows well and has worked with before after his last OCs.

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I still don't think this makes much sense. Don't really care if he wasn't best friends with the players/coaches, he was our best OC since Charlie Weis. 

Anyway, Haley is a strong candidate; I think he's an excellent coordinator. I don't know about DeFillipo, but he was our top candidate last year (PHI blocked us from interviewing him) and he's apparently an excellent developer of QBs. If Bates truly doesn't want the job and we can't land one of those two, we should be very very concerned. 

Why do you think he was good?  Stats don't point that way.  Eyeball test doesn't point that way.  I understand he did not have a top talent but I question many of his game plans and play calling.  Especially in the red zone

3 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Why do you think he was good?  Stats don't point that way.  Eyeball test doesn't point that way.  I understand he did not have a top talent but I question many of his game plans and play calling.  Especially in the red zone

Are you serious? Josh McCown, of all people, had a career year under Morton. Robby Anderson established himself as a legit deep threat. All three running backs showed flashes. The O-line held up. ASJ was resurrected from the dead. I could go on. 

I simply do not understand this one. Why keep Bowles over Morton? If that was the issue, then we kept the wrong guy. Why was there a beef between the OC and HC? Maccagnan did not consult with Bowles before hiring Morton? Did Bowles think he could have done better this past season with some other OC? Does he think Josh McCown could have played any better?

The OC handled the offense, and the offense overachieved. The HC handled the defense, and it continues to underachieve. So naturally, we get rid of the OC.

This is really discouraging. You guys really think big-name free agents are going to want to come to this dysfunctional outfit? Get real.

This is pretty much the worst thing that could have happened this off-season. I'm so discouraged right now. 

2 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Are you serious? Josh McCown, of all people, had a career year under Morton. Robby Anderson established himself as a legit deep threat. All three running backs showed flashes. The O-line held up. ASJ was resurrected from the dead. I could go on. 

I simply do not understand this one. Why keep Bowles over Morton? If that was the issue, then we kept the wrong guy. Why was there a beef between the OC and HC? Maccagnan did not consult with Bowles before hiring Morton? Did Bowles think he could have done better this past season with some other OC? Does he think Josh McCown could have played any better?

The OC handled the offense, and the offense overachieved. The HC handled the defense, and it continues to underachieve. So naturally, we get rid of the OC.

This is really discouraging. You guys really think big-name free agents are going to want to come to this dysfunctional outfit? Get real.

This is pretty much the worst thing that could have happened this off-season. I'm so discouraged right now. 

Very serious. 

25th in scoring, 28th in total yards, 29th in first downs, 24th in passing yards and 19th in rushing yards not to mention 23rd in 3rd down conversions.  Not successful. I guess you can say they overachieved as we did not finish 32nd like everyone thought but these are not numbers to write home about.

Anderson is product of more opportunities due to playing time increase with the loss of Decker, Marshall and Q.  In 2016 he had 42 rec on 78 targets and this year he had 63 rec on 114 targets - comparable numbers.  ASJ cleaned up his life and dedicated himself to football not drinking but his numbers where not great - 13th in receptions, 26th in yards and tied for 21st in TDs for a TE, not numbers that are great frankly.  Powell was better under Gailey.

Bottom line, our offense was not productive and did not score many points.  If they guy also was not with the program then they did the right thing.

There's speculation that Morton didn't run the ball enough for Bowlers liking. You here this complaint all the time from Defensive minded. H C's.

All I know is for the first time in forever the Jets were frequently  going out in their first possessions and scoring T D' s. I honestly would rather they promoted Morton and dumped Bowles. In our gut, we all know he's not going to bring the results we want.

Archived