OC Johnny Morton is OUT; Jeremy Bates hired per Schefter

Bianconero

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I think it's gonna be DeFillipo, Bowles is obsessed with dude.

I'm right there with you. Some agreement (with someone) must've been come to spark the Morton firing. If it's internal, we would have already announced the promotion. 

18 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

I'm right there with you. Some agreement (with someone) must've been come to spark the Morton firing. If it's internal, we would have already announced the promotion. 

I agree too I think it is DeFillipo. This would put the jets in a great spot if they decide to can Bowles next year and move DeFillipo to HC. 

25 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

Yup along with no recent connections to anyone else(Haley, etc.) Bowles must know he has his guy because you don't just can Morton to can him.

I can’t really think of a reason why I’d take this job if I was DeFillipo. He’s going to have the same offers with more stable organizations. No surprise they are going with Bates.

Same with Haley. I don’t see any upside here really for those 2 guys. It sucks but the Jets are what they are. It’s not an attractive place 

19 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

So much for that logic.  Bates is in according to Schefter.

Logic... wishful thinking... a glimmer of hope. Not here with the Jets. 

I really hate seeing the Patriots have success for this long...... 

Does this mean McCown returns or is this a drive to bring up Hack? I imagine as the QB coach he would be the easiest play caller to ease him in?

Or they really just think hes that good.

I just want us to be aggressive. If anything was proven yesterday and we have seen it for years, big leads mean nothing. Sitting on the ball and trying to run the clock out is a losing formula. Attack attack attack. Jacksonville thought they could run the clock out and didn't put the game away. Had they attacked and scored more points the refs would have been less relevant.

I’m ok with Bates being promoted. Has a good football mind, is QB centric, and keeps continuity. As many media members have hinted at, Bates may very well have been the “architect” of our offense, with Morton calling the plays and handling the day-to-day duties as coordinator. 

One rumor I heard was that Bowles really wanted Bates to coordinate the offense even before hiring Morton, but it was Bates who preferred to be a QB coach after taking 4 years away from the game. He and Morton were familiar with eachother with Morton playing the role of coordinator and Bates being the “QB/AHC”. Once it became apparent that Bates was fully committed to the game and that there were differences between Morton and others in the organization, it opened the door for Bowles to make his preferred transition. They waited primarily out of respect for Morton and to quietly give Bates time to ***** whether he was all-in on coaching. I get the feel that had we retained Morton, Bates would’ve been promoted to “passing game coordinator” anyhow. 

Hopefully the continuity will be a good thing for us. I think the scheme is a great one despite what the stats suggest. Add a few more pieces and the unit can vastly improve overnight. 

6 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

This definitely means McCown will be back in some capacity 

Hopefully as a third string/QB coach.  He'd be a fine 3rd string QB with his knowledge of the offense and ability to win a game if you were in a desperate situation.  Anything else would be a disappointment.

I don't know if I like this or not. I'm just hoping that it works out. This might be a sign that Hack is ready to move up the ladder with his QB coach. I can see the jets drafting a QB in the top 3 rounds. If Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield fall they will pick one at 6. If they don't fall look for the jets to grab Falk, Rudolph type guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. I think they stay away from Allen because he is almost like Hack. The jets will open the season with McCown, Hack and Rookie. Bates and Bowles will let all three battle it out and see who wins. I still think Hack is the guy they want to win the battle. I think he has improved and they are trying really hard not to throw him out there and destroy his career. Moving Bates to the OC will make it easier for Hack who has been beat down by the media since he was drafted. 

I’m torn on this. Obviously I hope he’s a good coordinator, but fact is he has no experience. And the part that really worries me, is that Bowles likes him. Bowles is clueless on offense and wouldn’t know a good offensive mind if it was right in front of him. We better hope this guy is the next Hackett or something bc he haven’t had a good offense in like 13yrs.

Archived