OC Johnny Morton is OUT; Jeremy Bates hired per Schefter

Bianconero

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

Mehta said the Jets would look to bring in a “run game coordinator” under Bates.. lol

“As the offensive coordinator for Pete Carroll’s Seahawks back in 2010, Seattle ranked 23rd in scoring offense with Marshawn Lynch averaging 3.5 yards per carry, the lowest total of his 11-year career.  Meanwhile, quarterback Matt Hasselbeck tied a career high with 17 interceptions and had a career low of 12 touchdowns (at least 14 starts) so while the numbers may not be pretty, Todd Bowles clearly sees something he likes in Bates.”

lol Damn. 

Well, this fits into the style of team I said Bowles was aiming for and I like it. 

Build a great defense and rushing attack. 

7 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

lol Damn. 

Well, this fits into the style of team I said Bowles was aiming for and I like it. 

Build a great defense and rushing attack. 

Dated. Build a great defense and find a QB that can win the game with his arm when the time comes.

Running the ball is important, but the QB still trumps all

Just now, GangGreen420 said:

Dated. Build a great defense and find a QB that can win the game with his arm when the time comes.

pretty much it. Peyton Manning won his last one when he was complete trash. Great defense and ground game saved him. 

4 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

pretty much it. Peyton Manning won his last one when he was complete trash. Great defense and ground game saved him. 

Yeah but he wasn’t “trash” he was a true game manager, I think he threw one pick in the postseason. If you want to consistently win playoff games you need good QB play. The Alex Smiths and Blake Bortles can get you there, but that’s pretty much it.

We need to find a guy that’s good enough to win the game when it’s on the line. Especially with 3-4 more years vs the Pats and the refs 

11 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Yeah but he wasn’t “trash” he was a true game manager, I think he threw one pick in the postseason. If you want to consistently win playoff games you need good QB play. The Alex Smiths and Blake Bortles can get you there, but that’s pretty much it.

We need to find a guy that’s good enough to win the game when it’s on the line. Especially with 3-4 more years vs the Pats and the refs 

I agree we need the best QB we can get, but great defense and rushing makes you a contender every year. It took the Jags from a 3 win season to a AFC champ contender with the same QB. So if it takes longer to find our franchise QB, we're still a contender and become a team top FA QB's would consider. 

We might end up with the same situation the Seahawks & Steelers had when they picked Ben & Wilson. Don't build correctly, could end up like the Lions and Chargers.

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

I agree we need the best QB we can get, but great defense and rushing makes you a contender every year. It took the Jags from a 3 win season to a AFC champ contender with the same QB. So if it takes longer to find our franchise QB, we're still a contender and become a team top FA QB's would consider. 

We might end up with the same situation the Seahawks & Steelers had when they picked Ben & Wilson. Don't build correctly, could end up like the Lions and Chargers.

I agree, which is why I have no problem not drafting a QB this year if the guy we want isn’t there. I actually think it could be beneficial in the long run, crazy as that sounds.

Just now, GangGreen420 said:

I agree, which is why I have no problem not drafting a QB this year if the guy we want isn’t there. I actually think it could be beneficial in the long run, crazy as that sounds.

Yeah, don't want to force a QB pick like the Raiders did back with Jemarcus and miss out on star players. So I would probably be mad if they didn't draft one, but I'd feel better if they're right. As of now, I want them to draft a QB in the first because I like these prospects. A lot of QBs are out there, so hopefully Macc has done his homework. Bradford, Taylor, Cousins, McCown, Keenum, Bridgewater, McCarron, Smith or Foles could be in play. I want them to double dip. 

5 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, don't want to force a QB pick like the Raiders did back with Jemarcus and miss out on star players. So I would probably be mad if they didn't draft one, but I'd feel better if they're right. As of now, I want them to draft a QB in the first because I like these prospects. A lot of QBs are out there, so hopefully Macc has done his homework. Bradford, Taylor, Cousins, McCown, Keenum, Bridgewater, McCarron, Smith or Foles could be in play. I want them to double dip. 

Joel Stave.

edit:  Bills seemingly are still high on Peterson.  Taylor stays as a continuous stop gap at qb?  I believe Foles is still under contract and he is not a starting caliber.

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

So we draft a rookie this year, let’s just say Rosen or Baker Mayfield. Who should be brought in as the vet instead? What’s the point of upgrading the “backup” vet presence? 

Why not just stick with the guy who played nearly an entire season for us and actually won team MVP? If the Jets are serious about the rookie actually getting playing time, and are able to acccurately assess him unlike Hackenberg then what’s wrong with McCown? Would you rather go after Alex Smith?

Yes starting Josh McCown for more than 6 games this year would be idiotic. But bringing him in to actual do what they brought him in to do last year definitely makes sense.

What are the chances after ANOTHER surgery McCown can come close to repeating this year. We should have learned from Fitz, whats the definition of insanity? I dont even like Alex Smith but if it comes down to him or JC, is it even debatable?

10 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Joel Stave.

edit:  Bills seemingly are still high on Peterson.  Taylor stays as a continuous stop gap at qb?  I believe Foles is still under contract and he is not a starting caliber.

If Foles is under contract, teams will knock on the eagles door for him and may offer something they can't reject. 

I mention Taylor alot because the Bills organization don't want him. Before signing him to that contract, they released info to the public about how his job is on the line and made it seem like he was a problem. The GM signs him to a deal and is fired right after. This season, they bench him while still in the playoff hunt for a QB that looked for from ready. I don't know the contract numbers, but Buffalo moving him to chase after these other QBs wouldn't shock me. 

He's very similar to Alex Smith to me. In the right system, I believe he can do a lot. Is he the best QB on the market? Nope, but I wouldn't be mad if we picked him up and drafted a QB. 

24 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Joel Stave.

That non starting caliber QB tore up the Vikings in the NFC championship last night. Hes going to get another shot somewhere without fail. Will he fail again? Maybe, but there is no question he just saved his career, if he wins a superbowl, look for a 20 million dolllar a year contract. 

I have to give Bowles props. In 3 years, he got career years from Fitz & McCown with 2 different OC's. One never called plays before and the other wasn't coaching for a while. So I'm pretty confident in the production we'll get from our next QB with Bates & Bowles.

56 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

What are the chances after ANOTHER surgery McCown can come close to repeating this year. We should have learned from Fitz, whats the definition of insanity? I dont even like Alex Smith but if it comes down to him or JC, is it even debatable?

So we should trade picks to KC for Smith to play for a season while our #6 draft pick sits for 2 years? Yeah, no thanks. It’s not similar to Fitzpatrick in the sense that we aren’t coming off a 10 win season with fake playoff aspirations. 

If we draft a rookie and want him to play next year, McCown will do just fine.

Archived