OC Johnny Morton is OUT; Jeremy Bates hired per Schefter

Bianconero

35 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Dude he never worked with Kubiak at all, why would he run Kubiak's offense?

He worked with Gurden, Dennison, Shannahan, Carroll (in college), Mike Tice among others but never Kubiak

Kubiak was the long time Shanny OC but left DEN in 2005 for a HC job in HOU.  Dennison became the OC that he worked with for 2 years until he became OC himself for one season in 2008. 

He never worked with Kubiak at all or Payton for that matter either.  

When he was OC for Seahawks, he tried to run Mike Shanahan offense that Kubiak had run for thousand years in NFL.

John Morton attempted to duplicate Payton's offense for Bowles last year as Bates served as qb coach for his pal.

The problem with Shanahan/Kubiak offense was cut blocking. It is illegal now. That is why we need Rick Dennison for OL coach. Dennison successfully transformed from illegal chop block to legal react for that offense.  If it is Kubiak's offense he has to get Dennison. If it is Payton's offense then never mind Dennison.

I won't be surprised if Bates drew up his own extension to WCO because Kyle Shanahan did.  However, Kyle has been around NFL continuously so he is well up to date.

3 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

We need to not use Hackenberg as a way to evaluate other coaches/players. Maybe you could question Bates ability as a QB coach, but the guy has already practically stated he doesn’t believe in Hack. So that’s his evaluation on Hackenberg. Obviously he’s tried to work with the guy but when you suck, you suck. It has nothing to do with Bates or McCown. He is simply just not a good QB. 

But it’s not just Hack. It was Petty too. I can’t say I like or don’t like Bates, bc I have to see how he calls plays 1st. But 4-5yrs away from the game previous to last season isn’t exactly a quality I like in a guy about to run our offense.

19 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

So we promoted the QB Guru himself to OC. The man who brought Hack and Petty the QBs out of the dust this season. Who wants to do the 2019 Mock with our 1st Overall?

If your going to jump dude just do it. You dont know a thing about his ability to call plays and already want to proclaim them to suck and are using Petty and Hack as the evidence lol.Go ahead and make that mock im sure the rest of us can't wait to read it. 

49 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But it’s not just Hack. It was Petty too. I can’t say I like or don’t like Bates, bc I have to see how he calls plays 1st. But 4-5yrs away from the game previous to last season isn’t exactly a quality I like in a guy about to run our offense.

Fair enough, I share the same concerns. People point to Cutlers one pro bowl season a decade ago as a positive. But the Seahawks offense was pretty pedestrian when he ran it. Still intrigued by it though.

My expectations are just super low, so it’s hard for me to get too invested in who the OC is, good or bad. until I’m confident we have a long term HC in place.  Just killing time, killing time 

29 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Former Lions QB coach Brian Callahan has interviews scheduled with Titans for OC job and Jets, a source told ESPN's

this is an interview to be QB coach apparently

I miss having Callahan here. Would do wonders for the offensive line and run game. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

If your going to jump dude just do it. You dont know a thing about his ability to call plays and already want to proclaim them to suck and are using Petty and Hack as the evidence lol.Go ahead and make that mock im sure the rest of us can't wait to read it. 

Well let's look at his ONLY year as an OC:

Total Offense:

Yards Rank - 28

Points Rank - 23

Passing:

Yards Rank - 19

TDs Rank - 28

Rushing:

Yards Rank - 31

TDs Rank - 12

Lame  in only year as an OC, 4 years out of a job, and currently the Jets QB whisperer. You're right. Our Messiah has come.

We're not a QB away from being a good team. We're a whole FO away from being a competent team and instead of going after experienced and proven OCs we're taking a shot in the dark.

26 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Well let's look at his ONLY year as an OC:

Total Offense:

Yards Rank - 28

Points Rank - 23

Passing:

Yards Rank - 19

TDs Rank - 28

Rushing:

Yards Rank - 31

TDs Rank - 12

Lame  in only year as an OC, 4 years out of a job, and currently the Jets QB whisperer. You're right. Our Messiah has come.

We're not a QB away from being a good team. We're a whole FO away from being a competent team and instead of going after experienced and proven OCs we're taking a shot in the dark.

Assuming you are referring to Bates I have no idea where you got those numbers from.  DEN was 2nd in YPG with nearly 400 and middle of the pack in scoring.

It's more like 2nd in total yard, 16th in scoring, 3rd in passing, and 12th in rushing.  That included a probowl for Jay Cutler so calling him lame in his only year as OC make no sense.  He did quite well in reality.

I have no doubt that if we felt confident enough to promote Bates to OC and so highly regarded in the organization as a QB developer (which I don't see), that Bates will have a big say so in who he wants as a QB for us next year. Just trying to see what he might like. A gun slinger? Bc of Cutler? Don't we have that with Hack? Alex Smith actually to me would make the least sense in a situation like this bc he's more of a game manager than a slinger. Which would also fuel the interest that I think he might really want Cousins bc he's more of a gun slinger than Smith. Rosen would have to be high on his list as well.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I have no doubt that if we felt confident enough to promote Bates to OC and so highly regarded in the organization as a QB developer (which I don't see), that Bates will have a big say so in who he wants as a QB for us next year. Just trying to see what he might like. A gun slinger? Bc of Cutler? Don't we have that with Hack? Alex Smith actually to me would make the least sense in a situation like this bc he's more of a game manager than a slinger. Which would also fuel the interest that I think he might really want Cousins bc he's more of a gun slinger than Smith. Rosen would have to be high on his list as well.

If I had to guess the best fits are 

1. Rosen
2. Mayfield 
3. Falk 

In that order.  If it's similar to last year than it's going to be a quick thinking and passing WCO where you need to be smart and accurate.

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If I had to guess the best fits are 

1. Rosen
2. Mayfield 
3. Falk 

In that order.  If it's similar to last year than it's going to be a quick thinking and passing WCO where you need to be smart and accurate.

I don't see why it'd be similar to last year. He's a different coach than Morton. Ya he might have picked his brain and found things he liked and will work it into whatever system he runs. But this is why I hate that he was out of football for several years before this last season. There's no way of telling what type of system he will run or anything. He was just a QB coach last season. What blocking scheme we will use. Is he going to spread his weapons out. Etc. These are all questions we have no clue about yet that needs to be cleared up before FA and all and quite frankly during the pre draft process like right now when we are sitting down with prospects. How are we selling our offense to a prospect to get excited about without knowing a thing about it? Bowles is clueless on offense even when he knows our OCs system, never mind when he doesn't know it.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Assuming you are referring to Bates I have no idea where you got those numbers from.  DEN was 2nd in YPG with nearly 400 and middle of the pack in scoring.

It's more like 2nd in total yard, 16th in scoring, 3rd in passing, and 12th in rushing.  That included a probowl for Jay Cutler so calling him lame in his only year as OC make no sense.  He did quite well in reality.

He wasn't OC in Denver - he was for the Seahawks in 2010 though.

Marshall fired as OL coach; apparently we have interest in Rick Dennison for that role. 

I think that would be an excellent hire. Connections with Bates via Shanahan coaching tree, a run-oriented coach with history of coaching QBs as well. Another hire that could attract Cousins 

Archived