OC Johnny Morton is OUT; Jeremy Bates hired per Schefter

Bianconero

6 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

So we should trade picks to KC for Smith to play for a season while our #6 draft pick sits for 2 years? Yeah, no thanks. It’s not similar to Fitzpatrick in the sense that we aren’t coming off a 10 win season with fake playoff aspirations. 

If we draft a rookie and want him to play next year, McCown will do just fine.

Isnt Alex Smith a FA? I take almost any other FA QB over the glass house McCown whose 39! LOL...we bring McCown back we will get fooled....again.

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Isnt Alex Smith a FA? I take almost any other FA QB over the glass house McCown whose 39! LOL...we bring McCown back we will get fooled....again.

Who is exactly is he fooling? He’s a 6-8 game stop gap LOL

I mean, maybe if we have a little better luck this time around he doesn’t even win the job in camp 

32 minutes ago, Johnthejetsfan said:

If we go ahead and promote Bates, who would be candidates for QB coach? 

Would it be possible to sign McCown to a contract that has a player/coach role? 

We were one of those rare teams who actually had an assistant QBs coach in Mick Lombardi so could very well just promote him to QB coach

12 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Who is exactly is he fooling? He’s a 6-8 game stop gap LOL

I mean, maybe if we have a little better luck this time around he doesn’t even win the job in camp 

He’s fooling fans like yourself who think he is a good option for next year. I’m still to hear a positive in bringing him back. Like @ekill08x said, we had no real options last year. Not much money and no real shot at a QB. This year is completely different.

The fans wanting to bring him back point to his leadership, mentoring the young QBs, helping with play calls with having a new OC and his experience. 

I fail to see what evidence anyone can use to support this notion. 

- Leadership: we just had our best receiver arrested. We fell apart in the second half of most games. We threw away several leads in games.

-Mentoring: what a complete load of b.s. If anything Petty looked even worse having the guidance of Josh with him. And as for Hack; he’s no further along 12 months on. 

- Helping the OC- Well after he got fired after the one year on the job we’ve now got Bates we don’t have the same concerns moving forward.

44 minutes ago, xenajets said:

He’s fooling fans like yourself who think he is a good option for next year. I’m still to hear a positive in bringing him back. Like @ekill08x said, we had no real options last year. Not much money and no real shot at a QB. This year is completely different.

The fans wanting to bring him back point to his leadership, mentoring the young QBs, helping with play calls with having a new OC and his experience. 

- Leadership: we just had our best receiver arrested. We fell apart in the second half of most games. We threw away several leads in games.

-Mentoring: what a complete load of b.s. If anything Petty looked even worse having the guidance of Josh with him. And as for Hack; he’s no further along 12 months on. 

- Helping the OC- Well after he got fired after the one year on the job we’ve now got Bates we don’t have the same concerns moving forward.

I tend to agree with this. I think it sounds good. The only small examples of it were a better season for Robby and ASJ showing flashes (which he’s quite honestly overrated 350yds 3tds). Who else played better bc of mccown?

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I tend to agree with this. I think it sounds good. The only small examples of it were a better season for Robby and ASJ showing flashes (which he’s quite honestly overrated 350yds 3tds). Who else played better bc of mccown?

Robby was showing great signs of progression on the football field but certainly not off it. That’s where a guy like McCown could be worth his weight in gold if he kept these young guys on the straight and narrow.

Obviously it’s not McCowns fault but if the reason we are bringing him back is for leadership and accountability etc then I fail to see the point in it. 

38 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Robby was showing great signs of progression on the football field but certainly not off it. That’s where a guy like McCown could be worth his weight in gold if he kept these young guys on the straight and narrow.

Obviously it’s not McCowns fault but if the reason we are bringing him back is for leadership and accountability etc then I fail to see the point in it. 

The only way I see McCown being a good option starting next year is we we somehow got incredibly young on offense (which I don’t see haoooening, look at our past like 10 drafts). Unless we are starting a rookie RB, young WRs, young OLineman, etc. There’s no reason he should start a single game. That’s just my opinion. I can’t deal with starting a stop gap again.

The only reason McCown would be on this team is as a third string QB.  If you ever have to play your third string QB you are likely done anyway but with Josh he has shown the willingness to be a good leader on and off the field and can win a game if need be.  Not much more you can ask out of a 3rd string QB.

The question is what do you do with Hack.  As a guy who thinks he will never be a starter in this league I'd still find a reason to keep him on the roster though.  That either means he improves enough to be a backup to whoever we sign (Cousins) or draft (Rosen/Mayfield) or McCown is the 2nd string and Hack stays as the 3rd.

If we can convince Tyrod or Smith (without giving up assets) to backup our young QB then great Josh can go coach.

I prefer something like 

Rosen/Mayfield, Hack (showing signs in camp to be the backup), McCown (emergency 3rd string/player coach)

or 

Rosen/Mayfield, Upgraded Vet like (Tyrod/Smith), Hack

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

He’s most cerrtainly not fooling me sir. You want to hear the positives to bring him back to start 6 games? He already knows the system, has rapport with the players, and can easily start the season off.

If we draft a QB at 6 and you’d rather go trade picks for a guy like Alex Smith or waste cap on a more expensive backup that’s your prerogative. The team isn’t close to the playoffs still, you probably want a better stop gap in hopes that we can win more of those 6-8 games and have a shot next year. It isn’t happening. McCown is the perfect backup QB. 

And cmon, I’m not McCowns biggest fans but dogging his leadership qualities because Robby got arrested and trying to say he had a hand in Petty’s regression? LOL

are you under the impression I’m saying “Get McCown back and let’s go playoffs!” Not even close. Ideally, he loses the job to the rookie in camp.

12 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

He’s most cerrtainly not fooling me sir. You want to hear the positives to bring him back to start 6 games? He already knows the system, has rapport with the players, and can easily start the season off.

If we draft a QB at 6 and you’d rather go trade picks for a guy like Alex Smith or waste cap on a more expensive backup that’s your prerogative. The team isn’t close to the playoffs still, you probably want a better stop gap in hopes that we can win more of those 6-8 games and have a shot next year. It isn’t happening. McCown is the perfect backup QB. 

And cmon, I’m not McCowns biggest fans but dogging his leadership qualities because Robby got arrested and trying to say he had a hand in Petty’s regression? LOL

are you under the impression I’m saying “Get McCown back and let’s go playoffs!” Not even close. Ideally, he loses the job to the rookie in camp.

Why are we the only franchise that feels the need to baby every young player we bring in? Only time we start a young player is when we’re desperate at the position. Throw the young guys out there and see what they have. 

McCown should not be brought back to start, even for 1-2 games.  If we draft a guy at 6 then get him ready to start from day 1 and if we draft well and spend our 100M wisely then why shouldn't we be looking at the playoffs as a possibility.  I'm not willing to just throw away the first 5-6 games with McCown and start 2-4. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Why are we the only franchise that feels the need to baby every young player we bring in? Only time we start a young player is when we’re desperate at the position. Throw the young guys out there and see what they have. 

Don’t ask me. Ask the GM/coach why they don’t like to play young guys. 

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

McCown should not be brought back to start, even for 1-2 games.  If we draft a guy at 6 then get him ready to start from day 1 and if we draft well and spend our 100M wisely then why shouldn't we be looking at the playoffs as a possibility.  I'm not willing to just throw away the first 5-6 games with McCown and start 2-4. 

Again, ideally he’s not being brought in to start. He’s being brought in for what was supposed to happen last year but the other two guys were so god awful it didn’t happen. He was supposed to get beat out. My question to you then is, who do you prefer in that role? And does it really make that much of a difference if your trying to get the rookie ready day 1? Probably not. I highly highly doubt Bowles is looking at McCown saying “this guy isn’t good enough to be our backup.” 

8 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Again, ideally he’s not being brought in to start. He’s being brought in for what was supposed to happen last year but the other two guys were so god awful it didn’t happen. He was supposed to get beat out. My question to you then is, who do you prefer in that role? And does it really make that much of a difference if your trying to get the rookie ready day 1? Probably not. I highly highly doubt Bowles is looking at McCown saying “this guy isn’t good enough to be our backup.” 

Tyrod would be my first choice.  He may look for a place to start but if we can get him on a reasonable 1-2 year deal for backup money I'd prefer that.

Good help us if we draft a QB and he can't beat out McCown.

Archived