OC Johnny Morton is OUT; Jeremy Bates hired per Schefter

Bianconero

Wouldn't surprise me if Carpenter is cut or traded. Regardless if we hire Dennison or not, it appears we're going all in on the ZBS, as opposed to the inside-out hybrid scheme we ran last year, and Carpenter is not nearly as effective in the ZBS. 

I'd be happy to take fliers on Pugh and Richburg in FA. Both have been the best of the Giants OL for the past 3-4 years, but injuries and position changes set them back in 2017. Considering how much cap we have this year, might not be a bad idea to sign both to 1-year "prove-it" deals worth somewhere in the range of $5-10 million. 

On 1/25/2018 at 9:25 AM, Bobby816 said:

My point is that having good guys bookending you makes you better on an OLine. Johnson was so bad last year that both OGs I think graded worse than the talent. But it will be interesting to see if we switch to a ZBS now. That changes things.

Johnson should have never been brought back, but WInters has never been good either. Adding a real center will help and I have a feeling anyone we bring in would be better than winters too, that guy sucks and has always sucked. 

37 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Johnson should have never been brought back, but WInters has never been good either. Adding a real center will help and I have a feeling anyone we bring in would be better than winters too, that guy sucks and has always sucked. 

Well I find it far fetched we are replacing both OGs and C in 1 off season. Winters contract is hard to move, so more than likely he will still be our starting RG next season. I think we for sure upgrade at C and LG though via FA and draft. Looking at these teams that have rebuilt there OLine there been a lot of success for those teams (Dallas, Jacksonville, Oakland, Minnesota). Their short comings if they haven’t been successful weren’t bc of the OLine.

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Yep. Wouldn't be shocked if we pursue Tyrod. Also, Carp is definitely gone. Need to get more athletic on the o-line. 

Definitely. See us also looking for a One-Cut style back that would fit in schematically.

Archived