OC Johnny Morton is OUT; Jeremy Bates hired per Schefter

Bianconero

14 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Again, ideally he’s not being brought in to start. He’s being brought in for what was supposed to happen last year but the other two guys were so god awful it didn’t happen. He was supposed to get beat out. My question to you then is, who do you prefer in that role? And does it really make that much of a difference if your trying to get the rookie ready day 1? Probably not. I highly highly doubt Bowles is looking at McCown saying “this guy isn’t good enough to be our backup.” 

And what evidence supports all this? We just did 3 years of Fitz and McCown as the starters for like 85% of our games. We are clearly a franchise that’s scared to play young guys, and especially at QB. But pretty much on offense in general. This is the worst part about having a HC with no job security. He’s scared to play a young guy bc that could mean 0-16. When with a vet you know you’ll atleast scratch out a few wins that might save your job.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

An what evidence supports all this? We just did 3 years of Fitz and McCown as the starters for like 85% of our games. We are clearly a franchise that’s scared to play young guys, and especially at QB. But pretty much on offense in general. This is the worst part about having a HC with no job security. He’s scared to play a young guy bc that could mean 0-16. When with a vet you know you’ll atleast scratch out a few wins that might fave your job.

There's really no evidence to support your claim though.

Geno was going to start over Fitz until the punch so you keep saying this but I don't believe it.  Fitz had to go have a career year which is why Geno never got his job back.

As for last year it was more of the same.  We wanted Hack to start and we was so awful that he could barely break the huddle in preseason with issues so we had no choice but to play the only NFL QB we had on the roster.  McCown was a small hurdle of mediocrity that should have been cleared by one of the young guys and never was.

When our new OC calls out people pushing for Hack saying this isn't triple A it's the NFL, that tells you all you need to know.

If we draft a QB in round 1 he will likely be the starter because he will likely be better then the other QB's we have. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And what evidence supports all this? We just did 3 years of Fitz and McCown as the starters for like 85% of our games. We are clearly a franchise that’s scared to play young guys, and especially at QB. But pretty much on offense in general. This is the worst part about having a HC with no job security. He’s scared to play a young guy bc that could mean 0-16. When with a vet you know you’ll atleast scratch out a few wins that might save your job.

Soo you want no vet?

19 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Tyrod would be my first choice.  He may look for a place to start but if we can get him on a reasonable 1-2 year deal for backup money I'd prefer that.

Good help us if we draft a QB and he can't beat out McCown.

Well this is kind of my point. If we are just looking for a “measuring stick” I don’t see how McCown would not work. It makes sense for both sides. I think if a guy like Tyrod is signed to be a backup, he’s going to be a highly paid backup coming off 2 full years of starting experience. If that kind of security is worth it to you then sure, I don’t think it’s necessary. I also don’t want Bowles to get too comfy with a guy like Tyrod and bench the rookie until week 14 when we are finally eliminated. I can absolutely see this coaching staff stunting a young QBs growth.

All I’m saying is there is very very little chance that Bowles does not see McCown as a backup level QB, hell he would probably name McCown starter the second he’s signed if he could replicate last year, which he won’t. There is absolutely no way Todd Bowles views McCown as a 3rd string guy at best.

In any scenario, if the rookie isn’t playing by half way though  we are screwed anyway, barring some unlikely scenario in which we are winning with whoever starts off the year (ideally the rookie though) 

I'm fine with McCown as 1 of the 3 QB's on the roster I just want 1 to be Rosen/Mayfield.

I see your point with Tyrod because I do see him as good enough to win with if let say he was QB on this Jags, PHI, MIN type team with a good defense and running game.

If we waited on Jackson until round 2 or trade back into the end of round 1 for him then I'd 100% want Tyrod because of the easy transition from him to Jackson once he is ready.

I just want Rosen or Mayfield though.  If we have 1 of them then IDC who else in on the roster McCown, Fitz, Hack whoever.  

There isnt going to be a demand for Josh McCown regardless of what we do with our Quarterback situation. Its Josh McCown, hes decent, but 39 and always hurt and he'd likely look to come back here regardless. He should really be a last resort. If we look to Kirk Cousins and we miss out, I would at least like us to take a look and younger options whether its for competition or a stop-gap for a rookie QB who may or may not be ready week 1. If the goal is to trade up to select Rosen, than yeah give me McCown who will know his role, be a great mentor. If its Josh Allen (hypothetically), well I would be more inclined to try and add an Alex Smith (cost contingent of course) or Teddy Bridgewater who can come in an play and maybe even start for more than a year, while Allen develops. 

What I dont want is Josh McCown starting our season again, there will be absolutely no excitement. However I do understand he is a complete class-act, a terrrific mentor and will make a great coach someday (QB coach obviously), but if he is your opening day starter, with #6 overall pick and some assets, and $100 million to spend, the GM has failed astronomically. 

I still think, regardless of whether you think hes elite or just good but not great, Kirk Cousins should be the ideal way to go if he isnt franchised. Just my pennies. 

6 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

He’s most cerrtainly not fooling me sir. You want to hear the positives to bring him back to start 6 games? He already knows the system, has rapport with the players, and can easily start the season off.

If we draft a QB at 6 and you’d rather go trade picks for a guy like Alex Smith or waste cap on a more expensive backup that’s your prerogative. The team isn’t close to the playoffs still, you probably want a better stop gap in hopes that we can win more of those 6-8 games and have a shot next year. It isn’t happening. McCown is the perfect backup QB. 

And cmon, I’m not McCowns biggest fans but dogging his leadership qualities because Robby got arrested and trying to say he had a hand in Petty’s regression? LOL

are you under the impression I’m saying “Get McCown back and let’s go playoffs!” Not even close. Ideally, he loses the job to the rookie in camp.

He has got ‘some fans’ fooled, If your not then cool no worries. 

It’s probably the same fans who wanted to bring back Fitz although at least he did get us 10 wins.

Your saying what’s the point in a better more expensive bridge qb. Well if we can bring in a qb with upside and a good history in the league then why not. Bradford, Taylor, Smith, Bridgewater, Kennum etc all have done more than McCown and are also many years younger. They offer better quality and have the opportunity to take us into the playoffs. 

To say we can’t get to the playoffs with all the cash and draft picks is extremely Debbie downer. I think if we are smart and effective this offseason we will be right on the cusp of a playoff place. That’s my opinion. 

I just see mediocricy with McCown and no upside. He’s good enough to get you 3-5 wins, which puts you out of the top 5 picks and also nowhere near the playoffs. I’d rather start Hack and fall on our face and get a top 3 pick next year or build the team up and get a second tier qb with upside. Build a winning culture and throw every resource available to get a franchise qb.

I’m not saying McCown isn’t a good guy because he is. But he’s shown nothing in bettering the young QBs around him and offers no upside. That’s why I think its horrendous to bring him back. 

IMO this team has to go after a QB in FA that's legit or trade for a QB that's under 30. This older vet QB thing for development and leadership stuff has to end. Like I stated I'd be all for bringing a guy like McCown back if we drafted a QB at 6 or trade up for 1, but I'm not bc of this regime. I still absolutely think they'd start McCown until we were eliminated from the playoffs and give us the same McCown gives us the best chance to win stuff. You can really sub in and older QBs name into what I just, and I'll think the same. So what's the best way to eliminate that? Don't have any old QBs on the roster. Make it a Rookie QB vs Hack vs (whoever we could target under 30) battle.

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

He has got ‘some fans’ fooled, If your not then cool no worries. 

It’s probably the same fans who wanted to bring back Fitz although at least he did get us 10 wins.

Your saying what’s the point in a better more expensive bridge qb. Well if we can bring in a qb with upside and a good history in the league then why not. Bradford, Taylor, Smith, Bridgewater, Kennum etc all have done more than McCown and are also many years younger. They offer better quality and have the opportunity to take us into the playoffs. 

To say we can’t get to the playoffs with all the cash and draft picks is extremely Debbie downer. I think if we are smart and effective this offseason we will be right on the cusp of a playoff place. That’s my opinion. 

I just see mediocricy with McCown and no upside. He’s good enough to get you 3-5 wins, which puts you out of the top 5 picks and also nowhere near the playoffs. I’d rather start Hack and fall on our face and get a top 3 pick next year or build the team up and get a second tier qb with upside. Build a winning culture and throw every resource available to get a franchise qb.

I’m not saying McCown isn’t a good guy because he is. But he’s shown nothing in bettering the young QBs around him and offers no upside. That’s why I think its horrendous to bring him back. 

I get it, that’s cool but I don’t really consider it “Debbie downer” any more than I do objective when mostly everyone outside of this forum doesn’t expect anything from the Jets next year. Being smart and effective is easier said than done considering 3 years in and we don’t have many pieces. If we suddenly figure it out this offseason then great, but until actual results come then it is what it is. 

I understand what Josh McCown is. Obviously this is all assuming we draft a QB early. Like I’ve said a few times now, I don’t expect him to play the entire season. Again, ideally he doesn’t play at all. I want him (or any veteran for that matter) to compete with the highly touted rookie (that we may have just traded a boat load for) or start a few games to begin the season until the rookie is ready. I would of rather fell flat on my face with Hack too, but we’re a season late for that now. 

The guys you just listed don’t really offer any upside, except maybe Bridgewater. All those other guys, everyone knows what they are. Fringe starters in the league and that’s how they’ll get paid, and most of them will probably be looking to start. I personally don’t think it’s worth it at all to waste that cap (or picks in Smith’s case) on a guy we know their ceiling while we just picked a QBOTF up early in round 1. 

8 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

So we promoted the QB Guru himself to OC. The man who brought Hack and Petty the QBs out of the dust this season. Who wants to do the 2019 Mock with our 1st Overall?

Walter had 2020 draft mock. He gave us Clemson's OLB Clelin Ferrell after Mayfield this year.

As for 2019 if Jets were strikeout at qb, Drew Lock or Jarrett Stidham may get first nod.

Archived