Demario Davis VS Joe Schobert

Mind Character

The leadership void created from the trading of Demario Davis for Calvin Pryor (now out of the league) and the release of Joe Haden was a shock to the system in Berea as both players were the one's responsible for organizing defensive meetings, film sessions, breakdown huddles post practice, and driving the spirit of work and competition in practice and in the weight room. We all know Joe's injury history, but few really thought much of Demario's on field impact. Their departure left Christian Kirksey, Jamar Taylor, and Danny Shelton as the primary leaders on a young team.

On the season, Todd Bowles credited Demario for changing the expectations and culture of the Jets defense for this year and called Davis "our culture leader."

Davis was too bulky in the 34 scheme so he cut 17 pounds and came back to Cleveland a different athlete more suitable for the 43.

Schobert had a good year and was named to the pro-bowl, but graded out 23 spots lower and 10 pts lower than Davis due to missed tackles, issues in pass coverage, issues with run fits, and less impact plays and TFLs.

==========================================================

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/joe-schobert/10733

Joe Schobert

2017 PFF Grades
Overall    77.4
     #32 LB

TCKL

SCK

FF

INT

TFLs

------------------------------------

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/demario-davis/7079

Demario Davis

2017 PFF Grades

Overall     87.3
   #9 LB

TCKL

SCK

FF

INT

TFLs

I'm in the minority opinion that JoeScho is somewhat overrated and thought we would have definitely been better with Davis.  But we were so terrible anyway though and I prefer Schobert going forward.  He may be pretty athletic but he's not good in coverage and undersized in a way that can't change in the weight room.  I think he could be D'qwell Jackson level and he was pretty good, I think standing 8-9 yards back inflated his tackling stats a lot but he came downhill great on the outside runs.

Let's see, do we want:

A guy with almost identical production as Schobert, who is older, has less upside, and costs more

OR

A guy who is under 25 who came in leaner, more athletic, and was a Pro Bowl alternate this year that costs a lot less

The Browns have made some BAD personnel decisions, but this isn't one of them and I can't believe anyone would argue differently.

Archived