Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, rpmwr19 said:

The NBA has always been monopolized by one or two teams. Out of the 72 years it’s been in existence, 5 teams have won 50 of the championships. The Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Warriors, and Spurs.

It’s a joke of a league because of the draft lottery, and soft cap. 

How is it a joke of a league?

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I believe he said because of the draft lottery and soft cap. But he also mentioned this:

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Out of the 72 years it’s been in existence, 5 teams have won 50 of the championships.

If that stat is true I don't know why you need anything further to explain how it is a joke of a league. That is ridiculous. I used to follow the league and enjoyed the Celtics years. The Magic vs Bird years intrigued me. Watching Jordan was great. I personally never got interested after that. It has been years since I have even watched the playoffs. I did watch a couple games of the finals one year some years back when Garnett was playing for the Celtics.

Having watched so little NBA in years I have a hard time explaining in detail how the NBA has become a joke of a league but I can reinforce his opinion by telling you that it accurately describes my opinion of the NBA.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Intentional tanking, little competitive balance, max contracts, exception levels, guys buried deep on the bench making mid to high seven figure salaries just because teams “have to spend the new TV money somewhere”, the soft salary cap, the bastardization of the game into 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 wing matchups while everyone else just stands there, allowing for one and dones for college instead of just letting those who are ready to enter right away which is taking a toll on college basketball, some flopping that makes players in the World Cup blush... 

personally just not a fun of basketball in general these days, and it starts with the AAU culture. 

Edited by rpmwr19

I’ve never been huge into basketball. I like the Timberwolves basically because it’s the Minnesota team and the easiest for me to follow. Lebron is really the only one that ACTUALLY made me watch tho. 

There is no parody in the NBA. It’s hard to feel entertained for the NBA season when you know the likely outcome at the end of the season. You look at the NFL, you have the Patriots who seem to push thru every year, but there are very few that would have predicted the Eagles winning the Super Bowl with Nick Foles as QB. 

MLB and The NHL both you can expect the unexpected and it makes it more exciting to me. 

I still think the only way to make the NBA playoffs more exciting to me is if they made them single game elimination style playoffs. There could be a chance a team then could have an upset. 

There is just no drive in the NBA to be challenged to win. 

In my opinion the NBA is at it’s best when there is a clear favorite and everyone is gunning for that team. The Bulls in the 90s, Spurs in the 00s, LeBron teams and GSW now. 

16 of the past 18 Super Bowls have been started by Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, or Tom Brady. Tons of parity in the AFC. And let’s not pretend like there’s no tanking in the NFL.

The NBA is different. The way it is organized, the way it is played, the way the cap works. If you are upset about that don’t watch it. That doesn’t mean it’s a joke of a league. At least the NBA has a real commissioner and has some integrity. 

I’m not upset by any means, I know I don’t have to watch the product, and I do like a few things that Silver has done. The player pool is what’s really holding the league back. It’s not as deep as it was a generation ago, because the amateur skill development isn’t nearly as good in my eyes. 

Sorry, I took “joke of a league” to mean that you had a vested interest and were disappointed in the product. I don’t think there is a good way to fix tanking because 1 player has the ability to take a team from The lottery to the playoffs. The NBA has taken steps to make the lottery less predictable starting next year. 

I just like that Silver has taken a progressive approach with the league, and that has made the league the 2nd most popular sport in America. We’ve gone from Malice at the Palace to having generational talents that are also great ambassadors for the sport. I think the league is in as good of shape as it has been in a very long time.

16 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Sorry, I took “joke of a league” to mean that you had a vested interest and were disappointed in the product. I don’t think there is a good way to fix tanking because 1 player has the ability to take a team from The lottery to the playoffs. The NBA has taken steps to make the lottery less predictable starting next year. 

I just like that Silver has taken a progressive approach with the league, and that has made the league the 2nd most popular sport in America. We’ve gone from Malice at the Palace to having generational talents that are also great ambassadors for the sport. I think the league is in as good of shape as it has been in a very long time.

Lebron made it the 2nd most popular sport. It's still not a very good product for the reasons already mentioned.

38 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Lebron made it the 2nd most popular sport. It's still not a very good product for the reasons already mentioned.

I guess we will have to disagree on that. I find it far more entertaining than MLB, and is as entertaining as the NHL until playoff time. 

Its the fastest paced and has the most obvious displays of athleticism in the 4 major sports. 

If the biggest concerns are salary caps/“these below average players make too much money” and tanking, that’s a pretty terrible reason to not like the sport. It also mirrors the NFL: Tons of guys making money they don’t deserve, and bad teams trying to get the top pick. Good for the NBA players IMO. The NFLPA shoud stock together and try to increase their share of the profits and move toward more guarantees. 

I will agree with the straight to the pros from HS argument, and it seems that the league is considering it. The college game will benefit as well.

The best thing the NBA has done is switched from marketing itself as a serious, competitive sports league, to just being fun and entertaining. They are embracing the star power of the big names instead of trying to water everything down for the sake of competitive balance. The NFL and MLB care more about "upholding the tradition and integrity of the game", while the NBA is about the stars and the experience. 

At the end of the day, people just want to be entertained, and the NBA seems to be doing that very well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

The best thing the NBA has done is switched from marketing itself as a serious, competitive sports league, to just being fun and entertaining. They are embracing the star power of the big names instead of trying to water everything down for the sake of competitive balance. The NFL and MLB care more about "upholding the tradition and integrity of the game", while the NBA is about the stars and the experience. 

At the end of the day, people just want to be entertained, and the NBA seems to be doing that very well. 

Maybe I’m just a different guy. Unless it’s my team I don’t like watching domination. I like seeing people get shut down, solid defense, kind of the stuff that you don’t see that’s often in the NBA anymore. Of course I like Lebron because he basically can/could do what he wanted for a while, but there just aren’t a ton of players that really are shutdown defensive players anymore

• Like 1

THere's something about playing a horrible team in the Orioles that makes even the Twins look good. Now, it isn't as if the Twins have been horrible, but certainly haven't been good.

Berrios is probably deserving of an all-star spot, but no Rosario isn't a great look for the all-star game in general. And when you put in a players from Boston and New York into the final vote, the better player in Rosario has no shot.