Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

On 7/4/2018 at 11:40 AM, gopherwrestler said:

There is no parody in the NBA. It’s hard to feel entertained for the NBA season when you know the likely outcome at the end of the season. You look at the NFL, you have the Patriots who seem to push thru every year, but there are very few that would have predicted the Eagles winning the Super Bowl with Nick Foles as QB. 

There certainly is lots of parody in the NBA, just no parity.  :D

• Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 12:04 PM, JDBrocks said:

In my opinion the NBA is at it’s best when there is a clear favorite and everyone is gunning for that team. The Bulls in the 90s, Spurs in the 00s, LeBron teams and GSW now. 

I can understand that opinion, even if I vehemently disagree.  I think the NBA has been a joke since the Bulls in the 90s.  The NBA was at it's best in the 80s, because despite the few teams that actually won the title, the league was far more competitive throughout.  And that's when it's at it's best.  The league as it is right now, when you definitely know who's going to be in the finals during the previous offseason and it's really non-competitive for the most part, when the only reason the records are close is because the teams at the top don't really give it their all, that's when it's a joke.  

You can say it's the talent pool and that's certainly a huge factor, but by the time those players are developed, they leave their team and join the super-teams because the Bird rights are no longer a factor to keep players there because the money everywhere is so huge...that's not the way to run a league for long-term success, at least in my opinion.  

As far as the straight to HS issue, I think the rule should be similar to that of MLB.  You can go straight to the NBA out of HS, if you're qualified, but if you go to college, you have to be there for 2 or 3 years.  The one and done rule ruins both the college and NBA games.  

Edited by disaacs

Twins with five wins in a row now. That was a fun game to watch yesterday. While it might not be as exciting as a lot of HR's for some people to watch, having two pitchers dealing like Berrios and Duffy were, that was impressive. Now if the Twins can just sweep the Royals and go to 7 wins in a row before the Rays leading into the break, that would be great. Though, even if they win out into the All-Star break (unlikely), they'd still be a couple games below .500. Mainly, I just want the Twins to end the season around .500.

• Like 1

I prefer we don't trade Escobar, I'd like to keep him around because I could see him being 3B for a little while. Dozier though should get traded, even if it isn't a great value with him right now.

Dozier and Lynn are the two players I want to see traded. I'd also strongly consider trading Grossman. And I'd trade Morrison too, but there would never be any takers.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

I prefer we don't trade Escobar, I'd like to keep him around because I could see him being 3B for a little while. Dozier though should get traded, even if it isn't a great value with him right now.

Dozier and Lynn are the two players I want to see traded. I'd also strongly consider trading Grossman. And I'd trade Morrison too, but there would never be any takers.

Trade anyone and everyone that has actual trade value...Mauer included.  Get him to waive his no-trade clause.  

22 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Trade anyone and everyone that has actual trade value...Mauer included.  Get him to waive his no-trade clause.  

The no trade clause was really dumb. I hope they don't ever put that in a players contract ever again!!

• Like 1

I believe even if the Twins hadn't put the no trade clause in, he would actually have a limited no trade clause now because of how long he's been with a single team. The MLB has at least had, and might still have, some odd rules around that.

37 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I believe even if the Twins hadn't put the no trade clause in, he would actually have a limited no trade clause now because of how long he's been with a single team. The MLB has at least had, and might still have, some odd rules around that.

Agree, if still accurate, they had the 10/5 rule (10 years in the majors, 5 with the same team) which always gave them a limited no-trade clause.  Back when I actually paid close attention, I believe it might have been Hrbek that they couldn't unload because of the 10/5 rule and it may have also been why Gaetti was under contract only through Year 9 (and then he walked).

5 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Dozier would be hard to trade but would probably be for the best. Too bad we haven't gotten to see Nick Gordon play yet

Trade Mauer to the Yankees (if he agrees). They need a 1B and he has a legit chance at a title there. Sign him back in the off-season to a retirement contract for 1-2 years.

Get rid of Dozier. Put Polanco at 2nd (he's better there) and if you keep Escobar, play him at SS and the Astudillo kid at 3rd.

If you trade both Escobar AND Dozier. Still have Astudillo and Polanco up the middle, call up someone to play 3rd (if Sano is still being punished) until September. Then call up Gordon for September call-ups (no sense in burning a year for a lost season), put him at short, Polanco at 2B, and whomever, Sano, or Astudillo at 3rd.

Get rid of Morrison via flat out DFA and call up another corpse to play 1B if Mauer is gone.

Then in 2019 you have: 1B-Mauer, 2B-Polanco, SS-Gordon, 3B-Sano, RF-Kepler, CF-Buxton, LF-Rosario

In 2020-2021, with Lewis knocking at the door you move Polanco to 3rd, Sano to 1st, Lewis at SS, and Gordon at 2B.

Such a wicked, wicked infield....it'll never happen but it'd be fun.

In return for trades...pitching and catchers should be the goal.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

15 hours ago, disaacs said:

Agree, if still accurate, they had the 10/5 rule (10 years in the majors, 5 with the same team) which always gave them a limited no-trade clause.  Back when I actually paid close attention, I believe it might have been Hrbek that they couldn't unload because of the 10/5 rule and it may have also been why Gaetti was under contract only through Year 9 (and then he walked).

Also, when the Twins traded Rick Agularia in the last year of his deal in the mid 1990's and then signed him back the following off season. That was for the same reason.

12 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Then in 2019 you have: 1B-Mauer, 2B-Polanco, SS-Gordon, 3B-Sano, RF-Kepler, CF-Buxton, LF-Rosario

Much more likely if you were to move Dozier that Polanco would stay at SS and Gordon would move to 2B. Less movement the better for Polanco who is comfortable at SS and has a similar skillset at SS that Gordon does.  I could also easily see the Twins not resigning Mauer and him just retiring at the end of the year and moving Sano to first base as soon as 2019. My guess for the 2019 INF would be: 1B - Mauer, 2B - Gordon, SS-Polanco, 3B-Escobar, RF-Kepler, CF-Buxton, LF-Rosario, DH-Sano

12 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

In 2020-2021, with Lewis knocking at the door you move Polanco to 3rd, Sano to 1st, Lewis at SS, and Gordon at 2B.

This is the ideal INF of the future though.

4 hours ago, The Gnat said:

This is the ideal INF of the future though.

That'd be a perfect infield. Besides, Sano....you have infinite athletic ability and the range would be insane. Then you add in a speedy outfield with Eddie, Buxton, and Kepler.....you have an amazing defense.

i hear too many rumors/rumblings on talk radio that once Lewis comes up, they might find Gordon expendable to put in a trade.

On 7/5/2018 at 4:28 PM, Heimdallr said:

https://streamable.com/gaabr

3 absolutely stunning goals from my boy Darwin Quintero for the Loons' first MLS hat trick. The amount of skill it takes to just chip it over the keeper from distance right into the top corner of the net (3 times!) is ridiculous. That first one was with the outside of his foot, just curling back into the top corner. Unreal. He also had an incredible pass to send Ibarra on a breakaway for his goal too.

Toronto's goalkeeper had this to say after the game: “He got me. That f***ing Darwin boomed me.” Irwin added, “Hes so good,” repeating it four times. He said he wanted to add Quintero to the list of players he wants to practice with this summer.

On 7/5/2018 at 7:19 PM, rpmwr19 said:

who?! ?

Darwin Quintero the guy with more twitter followers than Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, and Dalvin Cook...Combined ;)

• Like 1