Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

On 5/23/2024 at 5:45 PM, VikeManDan said:

"It was a rough film session," Finch said matter-of-factly. "I told the guys, 'It's been a long time since I've been this disappointed in your effort. Your performance, your attitude, your application and attention to detail just wasn't there.' The Western Conference finals started. Not sure if they got the memo. But they got it this afternoon."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40205703/timberwolves-rough-film-session-finch-g1-loss

Get after 'em Finchy, I love this line!

I love what coach Finch said also but clearly that only goes so far.

Derek Lively and Gafford are absolutely destroying the Wolves and if both those dudes are going to get that kind of production with Luka and Kyrie each having 20-30 a game each, Wolves will have a hell of a hard time winning the series or even a game because they have zero advantage in the paint.  What Gafford and Lively had 30 points, 14 boards and 5 blocks combined and out of 16 shots made 14 of them!  What 8 of those were dunks possibly!

Way too easy to score that many points in the paint by just dunking it.  Sucks but Rudy is getting ripped up in the pick and roll and even at the rim.  One would think they got no shot but he cannot even get his hands on the ball and sadly they are putting Rudy in offensive situations to take advantage of being the bigger team but he is such a poor offensive player.  He and Towns are so uncoordinated in the paint, Towns flops around and is out of control and Rudy if it is not a dunk struggles even with little shots.

Dallas is an impressive defensive team no question, they switch so well and are so active.  The Wolves rotated and passes the ball around against Denver and they got tired, they are doing that against Dallas and they are not getting tired at all.  And I still say it sucks the Wolves have no quality guard depth to put in, where Dallas has Hardy and they can put him in a few minutes and he gets 8 points and provides energy, put in Green and he gets a few points.  Wolves have to think about going smaller and sadly almost never playing Towns and Gobert at the same time.  Almost should start Reid and bring Towns in off the bench.

Also stinks Anthony Edwards is not playing great, even with attacking he still shot poorly.  Either way he has to keep attacking the rim no question about it and getting into transition is a must.  Minnesota was playing great when they could get into transition but then Dallas started to run also and that turned the game around.  Edwards is not playing confidently, especially late you could just see it in his face, he was scared and it showed.  Where Luka was a killer, great game by him despite what appears to be an injury.

If anything a good learning experience potentially for the Wolves and Edwards against what should be the soon NBA Champion if things keep going like they are.  Doubt Boston could beat Dallas who is playing great.  

"On Friday night, the Dallas Mavericks and Luka Doncic delivered under extra pressure, scoring the biggest postseason win by a Texas team in Minnesota since Drew Pearson got away with pushing Nate Wright to the ground."

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/success-of-dallas-area-mlb-nba-nhl-teams-puts-more-f-king-pressure-on-cowboys

The NBA admitted Saturday that there was one missed call in the final minute of the Dallas Mavericks' dramatic 109–108 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves in Game 2 of the Western Conference finals on Friday night.

With 50 seconds left and the Timberwolves leading 108–106, guard Anthony Edwards passed the ball to forward Jaden McDaniels near the baseline. McDaniels jumped up to catch the ball and when he landed, he was surrounded by Mavericks stars Kyrie Irving and Luka Dončić.

McDaniels lost the ball out of bounds. It was initially ruled Timberwolves basketball, but Mavericks coach Jason Kidd challenged the play and won, flipping possession back to Dallas.

However, the NBA's Last Two Minute Report stated a foul should have been called on Irving for slapping McDaniels's forearm to force the ball out of bounds.

"Irving (DAL) makes contact with McDaniels' (MIN) forearm, causing him to lose control of the ball," the report stated.

If the foul on Irving was called, it would've bumped Minnesota to the bonus and McDaniels would have been awarded two free-throw attempts with a chance to extend the Timberwolves' lead to four with 47 seconds left.

https://www.si.com/nba/nba-admits-refs-missed-foul-call-final-minute-timberwolves-mavericks-game-2?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3nmNDO-drVQo1lD4Q09WSG94h-i60xVFZeRdqLzISG6IXjjK48KR3OuLY_aem_AWA1ZsZdIOSzdKRfxCDz04nBnTOOJMzrZ9pwmmb-oXxZ3UApmvrmXzwZ7pl2f5d1Q0GGlWWqxhA99V4pHfdWQsqp

Who is the closer on this team? Coaching is part of this. Awful final minutes in both games -- especially considering the leads at home. Ant and Towns are going to have a lot to answer for if they don't show some life.

19 hours ago, babababa said:

Who is the closer on this team? Coaching is part of this. Awful final minutes in both games -- especially considering the leads at home. Ant and Towns are going to have a lot to answer for if they don't show some life.

Edwards by far because he is the only one who can get his own shot.  And like the announcers say on TNT and everywhere else, Kyrie and Luka are the two best closers in Basketball right now because they can get their own shot at any time and are great in late game situations because of that.

Apparently Anthony Edwards is going to shoot a lot more in game 3, we will see.  I just hope they are not mostly 3 pointers.  

Towns can take late game three point shots I guess and hit them but creating his own shot, he has been pretty wild in his ball handling and not controlled at all.  Crazy to think but Towns is totally playing awful against what PJ Washington/Gafford/Lively.  And what Edwards/Towns are getting outscored the past two games by Luka and Kyrie by what 44 points the past two games...

30 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

T-Wolves down by 8 at halftime, i see.

how is the game going? more so than just the score, that is....

Ant is finally attacking the basket consistently, has only attempted 2 three pointers in the game and Lively is out so that is helping the Wolves a ton.  

Also helps that they took Edwards off Irving defensively and are rotating others in that spot which keeps Edwards fresh.  Still not sure any of this happens if Lively does not get hurt.  

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The Wolves used up all of their fight in Denver. I don’t expect that they will put up much resistance tomorrow. 

Yeah it stinks after such a great season, clearly their defense is not that good and ever since Dallas traded for Washington and Gafford their defense is technically better than the Wolves the last 25 games or so.

Dallas is generally been the more physical team, the more motivated team, the more poised team and the more passionate team.  So obviously yeah they have won every game.  Crazy to say but Dallas is more physical, Luka can push around and do basically anything he wants and Kyrie can finish over anyone on the Wolves as well.  

I hope they play Kyle Anderson way more this next game, he was one of the few outside of Edwards that seemed like he at least had a pulse.  Will be curious what they do with Towns and Gobert, yes they were made to beat Denver but clearly Dallas could be the new King of the West.  And not sure Towns or Gobert are good enough offensively when it matters.  Curious what the team would be like with say Bam Adebayo instead of Towns, a dude who is far more athletic, versatile offensively and defensively and far more coordinated in general.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

And not sure Towns or Gobert are good enough offensively when it matters.

KAT has been historically bad in the WCF and Gobert just seems to lack any alpha mentality on the offensive end.

Hoping we can avoid the sweep but I'm not certain it ultimately matters. Our inability to close games out has killed us.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

KAT has been historically bad in the WCF and Gobert just seems to lack any alpha mentality on the offensive end.

Hoping we can avoid the sweep but I'm not certain it ultimately matters. Our inability to close games out has killed us.

Gobert really isn't that type of player offensively, his points are mostly going to come from being tall and close to the basket. He's not a go-to player. Towns is the one we count on to score and hurts when plays like he has.

Edited by Worm Guts
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Gobert really isn't that type of player offensively, his points are mostly going to come from being tall and close to the basket. He's not a go-to player.

I agree but I'd still like to see him try and attack more when he is that close. He's missed some easy, or should be easy, buckets for an NBA player.

As you say KAT has been way more impactful, in a negative way.

• Like 1