Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

the Warriors are bad this year? i thought they were top dawgs....

They were, but Kevin Durant is in Brooklyn now, and Steph Curry and Klay Thompson were injured and didn’t play for most of the season.

On 6/9/2020 at 7:16 AM, JDBrocks said:

They were, but Kevin Durant is in Brooklyn now, and Steph Curry and Klay Thompson were injured and didn’t play for most of the season.

I didn't pay all that close attention, but it seems as if without them, they were the worst team in the entire NBA...it's no wonder then why Wiggins got traded there.

55 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I haven't seen this posted here, so let me try and track down the tweet, if I can't basically MLS is doing a World Cup style tourney with group play and then the rest of the tournament.

Yeah, to start things up again they are doing a tournament in Orlando (no fans). The group stage results will count for the regular season standings. Then I'm assuming if everything goes well the season will start up again in mid-August. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens if fans aren't allowed back in the stands this year (which definitely seems likely). NFL will be fine because of their insane TV/ad contracts, but smaller sports like MLS and NHL probably aren't financially viable without ticket sales. The hundreds of minor league soccer, hockey, baseball teams around the country will be especially hit hard.

13 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens if fans aren't allowed back in the stands this year (which definitely seems likely). NFL will be fine because of their insane TV/ad contracts, but smaller sports like MLS and NHL probably aren't financially viable without ticket sales. The hundreds of minor league soccer, hockey, baseball teams around the country will be especially hit hard.

I imagine there will still be some fans in the stands...maybe not to capacity, but there will still be some there.  Statistics say that NHL teams get about 40% of their revenue from ticket sales, but they'll still be okay, because they get a lot of TV revenue from Canada, who love their sport.  It will likely affect their cap situation moreso than anything...financially, they'll be fine, but there may be some issues with some teams staying under the cap.    

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Perhaps MLS will do some sort of paid online stream for the tournament. I think that I'd pay a few bucks per game, or a bigger amount for a full slate. 

When coveted Eden Prairie receiver JD Spielman made his college choice in 2015, the Gophers already knew he wasn’t staying home. He made it official when he picked Nebraska, and the elusive playmaker has been a handful for Minnesota ever since.

Now, the U could get him in maroon and gold. Spielman entered the NCAA transfer portal on Monday, which was first reported by HuskerOnline. He took a leave of absence in March to address a personal health matter, the Nebraska program said in a statement, with head coach Scott Frost adding then they anticipated him returning for summer conditioning.

Spielman would be a candidate to help Minnesota replace the production of Tyler Johnson, who was drafted in the fifth round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Since 2017, Spielman has had more receptions for first downs and touchdowns (102) than any other player, according to Pro Football Focus. Johnson was third with 92. The rising senior who would have to sit out a year under current NCAA rules, unless he were to obtain a waiver to play this upcoming season.

Spielman, the son of Vikings general manager Rick Spielman, has career totals of 170 receptions for 2,546 yards and 15 touchdowns from 2017-19 and was on pace to break multiple Nebraska records. In three games against the Gophers, he has 20 catches for 277 yards, an average of 6.6 receptions and 92 yards a game.

Spielman’s recruiting process for the 2016 class played out with Jerry Kill as the head coach and linebacker coach Marcus Sherels as the primary recruiter for the state of Minnesota. While Spielman doesn’t have an established relationship with current head coach P.J. Fleck and receivers coach Matt Simon, the current primary recruiter for the state, he has Eden Prairie/Gopher connections in Carter Coughlin, Antoine Winfield Jr., and others.

https://www.startribune.com/j-d-spielman-enters-transfer-portal-are-gophers-good-fit-for-his-final-season/571105062/

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Spielman’s recruiting process for the 2016 class played out with Jerry Kill as the head coach and linebacker coach Mike Sherels as the primary recruiter for the state of Minnesota.

Was Mike not Marcus, right?

Marcus was still with the Vikings.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

The vikings are donating 5 million for social justice so the twins topped them and are donating 25 million

As they should, considering they have more money than the Wilfs do.  But, good for them!  :D

Edited by swede700

• 1 month later...