Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It’s still unreal to me that Thome had 600 HRs. Maybe his career just coincided with a lull in my MLB fandom, but I think it’s more that he was never considered or treated as a “great” player. He was just very consistent for a very long time. Like Rafael Palmeiro. 

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

It’s still unreal to me that Thome had 600 HRs. Maybe his career just coincided with a lull in my MLB fandom, but I think it’s more that he was never considered or treated as a “great” player. He was just very consistent for a very long time. Like Rafael Palmeiro. 

I really wasn't paying attention either (still really don't), but he always seemed to be that under the radar guy.  Agree that Palmeiro did too...the only time I really paid attention to college baseball was those Mississippi State days when he, Will Clark, Bobby Thigpen and Jeff Brantley were all on the same team.  I was a big Will Clark fan. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I really wasn't paying attention either (still really don't), but he always seemed to be that under the radar guy.  Agree that Palmeiro did too...the only time I really paid attention to college baseball was those Mississippi State days when he, Will Clark, Bobby Thigpen and Jeff Brantley were all on the same team.  I was a big Will Clark fan. 

Will Clark had one of the most beautiful baseball swings ever. Maybe only eclipsed by Ken Griffey Jr. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sad People said:

The winning team players win 6 figures each i forget the exact amount.

Well, when the average benchwarmer on a NBA team makes 7 figures, I'm not sure how much of an incentive that is...it's probably more the acclaim that may go with it then it is the actual money. 

• Like 1

It's really fun to see the young guys do their thing for the Twins. Lewis has been impactful every time he's been healthy, and Wallner is showing why he was the Minor League Player of the Year last year. Can't wait to see Julien, Wallner, Lewis, Kirilloff, and Lee in the same lineup.

Also, Kenta Maeda since June 1: 2.38 ERA, 0.95 WHIP over 49.2 IP. 

Health and FO stubbornness are the only things holding the Twins back right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Well, when the average benchwarmer on a NBA team makes 7 figures, I'm not sure how much of an incentive that is...it's probably more the acclaim that may go with it then it is the actual money. 

Well money is money. You dont think the players wont care about adding another 6 figures to their paycheck?  Games count towards the regular season record as well, IIRC, except the finals or the last couple games of the tournament

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sad People said:

Well money is money. You dont think the players wont care about adding another 6 figures to their paycheck?  Games count towards the regular season record as well, IIRC, except the finals or the last couple games of the tournament

I didn't say they wouldn't care at all, I just said it's not much of an incentive.  But, knowing the NBA as long as I have, I suppose they need all the incentive they can get to care about the regular season because far too many players don't (as it's a little more competitive in the Western Conference, it's gotten better, I don't know how it is in the East). 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I didn't say they wouldn't care at all, I just said it's not much of an incentive.  But, knowing the NBA as long as I have, I suppose they need all the incentive they can get to care about the regular season because far too many players don't (as it's a little more competitive in the Western Conference, it's gotten better, I don't know how it is in the East). 

What are you basing this opinion on? I don't see it that way at all.

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

What are you basing this opinion on? I don't see it that way at all.

You can always feel differently, but I base it on the way I've seen the NBA since Shaq and Kobe were on top of the league.  Far too often, players don't seem to play hard until the final 2 minutes of a half or lay it out on the floor until the playoffs begin.  I'm not saying it's as prevalent now as it has been, but it happens far too often for my liking.  The "load management" nonsense contributes even more to it. 

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You can always feel differently, but I base it on the way I've seen the NBA since Shaq and Kobe were on top of the league.  Far too often, players don't seem to play hard until the final 2 minutes of a half or lay it out on the floor until the playoffs begin.  I'm not saying it's as prevalent now as it has been, but it happens far too often for my liking.  The "load management" nonsense contributes even more to it. 

How closely do you watch the NBA? As a season ticket holder and avid fan I disagree. Load Management is not nonsense, and is scientifically supported. Players in the league now have played FAR more basketball in their lives than players of past eras. The wear and tear and a one and done player by the time of the draft can often be more than that of a senior in college in the past because of AAU and other schedules.

Folks that grew up watching different eras of sports have got to get over the fact that the games are different. It's not better or worse, it's just different. We are watching a historic era of the NBA right now, with more HOF caliber players and all time greats playing at the same time than just about any period in history. Complaining about effort in the NBA now like every player played every position like life or death in the 80s/90s is silly. The "physical" NBA (players fighting and trying to injure each other) was actually bad basketball - that's not part of the game, and shows less skill.

This era of the NBA undoubtedly has the highest skill level we've ever seen top to bottom. End of the bench players would have been rotation guys a couple of decades ago.

Sorry for the rant, but it REALLY irks me to have this conversation as often as I do.