Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

16 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

This Wolves front office has done some questionable things during their tenure, but this is not one of them. 

Good move by the Wolves. 

I'll just be interested to see how they can ever get back into reasonable cap shape, however.  From what I know of him, he's certainly a solid role player, but until they're able to get rid of either KAT's or Gobert's big deals, they're always going to be in cap hell and not ever be able to sign any other quality free agents to surround Ant. 

49 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'll just be interested to see how they can ever get back into reasonable cap shape, however.  From what I know of him, he's certainly a solid role player, but until they're able to get rid of either KAT's or Gobert's big deals, they're always going to be in cap hell and not ever be able to sign any other quality free agents to surround Ant. 

If the Wolves can get Gobert to be what he was with Utah, they’ll be a solid team. 

I’m not sure what to think about KAT anymore. Personally, I’d move him. He’s talented, no doubt, but he doesn’t play hard and his dominant games are way too few and far in between. Plus, I’ve never liked the energy that he brings to the court. The Wolves always seem to have more games where they look engaged and show hustle/grit when KAT is not playing. 

Also, in regards to KAT, this is Ant’s team. Or it needs to be Ant’s team. With KAT in the lockerroom, is Ant the leader? Can KAT take the backseat role? I’m not that in tune with the Wolves to have strong opinions on that, but it’s certainly something that comes to mind. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Wolves can get Gobert to be what he was with Utah, they’ll be a solid team. 

I’m not sure what to think about KAT anymore. Personally, I’d move him. He’s talented, no doubt, but he doesn’t play hard and his dominant games are way too few and far in between. Plus, I’ve never liked the energy that he brings to the court. The Wolves always seem to have more games where they look engaged and show hustle/grit when KAT is not playing. 

Also, in regards to KAT, this is Ant’s team. Or it needs to be Ant’s team. With KAT in the lockerroom, is Ant the leader? Can KAT take the backseat role? I’m not that in tune with the Wolves to have strong opinions on that, but it’s certainly something that comes to mind. 

I'm in that same camp as you.  I'm certainly not in tune enough with them to know for certain, but KAT has always struck me as the guy who talks the talk, but never walks the walk.  He's done that his entire career.  He talks about how hard he works and how he wants to be the best, but never seems to put forth the effort to actually do so.  Based on what I hear about him, he's basically the same player he was 8 years ago when he was drafted, which is disappointing, because you'd expect to see significant growth from a guy who was 19 when he entered the league.  That significant growth has never happened, and you can't expect it to now at 27.  He's a very good player, but very good isn't good enough from a guy drafted #1 overall. 

• Like 1

KAT is a top 30 player in the NBA. But he's in the lower third (maybe sixth) of that. He whines too much on the court and lets it take him out of games when it should motivate him. He sees himself as the team leader, but the players don't rally around him. He still has the physical tools to be a top 7-8 player in the league, but he's never going to have the mental toughness and self-awareness to unlock those gifts. He's a high-end complimentary player and that's all he'll ever be. If he had Naz's heart and hustle, he'd be a Hall of Famer. 

• Like 1

When KAT said that people will talk about "how he changed the game" after he retires tells me everything i need to know about him and how out of touch he is. I honestly think they should trade both KAT and Gobert and completely reboot and build around ANT.

5 minutes ago, Sad People said:

I honestly think they should trade both KAT and Gobert and completely reboot and build around ANT.

Unfortunately, they can't trade Gobert under his current deal and they aren't going to get any quality in return for KAT based on where he's at.  He's at his lowest trade value right now. 

37 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Unfortunately, they can't trade Gobert under his current deal and they aren't going to get any quality in return for KAT based on where he's at.  He's at his lowest trade value right now. 

Did he sign a new deal when he got traded here or what?

4 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Did he sign a new deal when he got traded here or what?

No, but he's 31 yrs old with 3 yrs left (last yr is a player option which I'd have to think he'd pick up) on his deal at max money.  No one is trading for that. 

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No, but he's 31 yrs old with 3 yrs left (last yr is a player option which I'd have to think he'd pick up) on his deal at max money.  No one is trading for that. 

Didnt we trade for that? Or did his deal kick in after we traded for him? Now i know the Wolves are a poverty franchise and only the wolves would pay more for Gobert than what KD got in a trade but someone might be out there willing to trade for him. Id be fine with it even it was pennies on the dollar as long as they got out of his contract and the player.

Rocco let them have it today. I don't think motivation is the issue, but talent.

The following backup level players are regulars:

Gallo, Taylor, Kepler

Then you have the injured, bad, stars:

CC, Buxton

Then you have backups in Solano and Castro getting regular time, and Vazquez has been a bust. Oh, and AK can't hit now either.

Not sure what Rocco is supposed to do given the OF, CC, and Buxton....that's 5 starters, two that should be DFA, one a backup, and two hurt "stars.". Yikes.

The Timberwolves have reportedly contacted the Blazers about Damian Lillard. Terrible idea, in my opinion. This team needs to get cap relief and draft picks. Lillard provides neither. He's 32 and on a max deal. Him and Gobert falling off a cliff at the same time while still getting paid is a recipe for disaster. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

USMNT has looked absolutely phenomenal lately. Albeit against inferior competition, but they are smashing the teams they're supposed to smash. Very exciting time to be an American fútbol fan. 

The talent pool now compared to 4-5 years ago is incredible. Having to choose between Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson, Musah, and McKennie for only 4 midfield/winger spots is a great problem to have.

• Like 1