Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

Could a “temporary lifesaver” agreed upon by Major League Baseball and the MLBPA jog some loose change from the pockets of the Pohlad family? That’s what commissioner Rob Manfred hopes, after the MLB announced that they are taking $75 million out of the luxury tax pool and using it to subsidize teams that have taken revenue hits via regional television deals that have gone sour.

Teams sweating finances because of their reduced TV revenue because of their RSN agreements being dropped or lowered got a temporary lifesaver this week when the union agreed to permit commissioner Rob Manfred to distribute about $75 million from their luxury tax proceeds to teams in need, maxing out at $15 million for individual teams.

“We believe this agreement should positively affect the player market by softening the impact of revenue declines, by increasing the number of clubs who have monies to spend, and by undermining the ability of clubs to weaponize recent developments in RSN markets,” the union said in a memo to players, according to The Athletic.

So, these subsidies are meant to make open up the trade deadline floodgates a little bit. Some teams will get as $15 million. We do not know how much the Minnesota Twins are set to receive, though.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-twins-news-mlb-subsidize-teams-tv-rsn-revenue-losses/?

i don't know if you guys are already discussing this (or what it even means) but i thought i'd throw it out here...

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Could a “temporary lifesaver” agreed upon by Major League Baseball and the MLBPA jog some loose change from the pockets of the Pohlad family? That’s what commissioner Rob Manfred hopes, after the MLB announced that they are taking $75 million out of the luxury tax pool and using it to subsidize teams that have taken revenue hits via regional television deals that have gone sour.

Teams sweating finances because of their reduced TV revenue because of their RSN agreements being dropped or lowered got a temporary lifesaver this week when the union agreed to permit commissioner Rob Manfred to distribute about $75 million from their luxury tax proceeds to teams in need, maxing out at $15 million for individual teams.

“We believe this agreement should positively affect the player market by softening the impact of revenue declines, by increasing the number of clubs who have monies to spend, and by undermining the ability of clubs to weaponize recent developments in RSN markets,” the union said in a memo to players, according to The Athletic.

So, these subsidies are meant to make open up the trade deadline floodgates a little bit. Some teams will get as $15 million. We do not know how much the Minnesota Twins are set to receive, though.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-twins-news-mlb-subsidize-teams-tv-rsn-revenue-losses/?

i don't know if you guys are already discussing this (or what it even means) but i thought i'd throw it out here...

I bet they get zero, when they add zero payroll. Just a hunch.

• Like 1

Another factor that I've heard is that when they went big 2 yrs ago, it failed and they missed the playoffs.  Last year, they did nothing and actually won a series.  That upped the odds on them doing nothing this year either because why bother spending any more money if you aren't necessarily going to get better results. 

Just now, swede700 said:

Another factor that I've heard is that when they went big 2 yrs ago, it failed and they missed the playoffs.  Last year, they did nothing and actually won a series.  That upped the odds on them doing nothing this year either because why bother spending any more money if you aren't necessarily going to get better results. 

I mean that's so flawed logically, no one believes that. that's just not how baseball works.

Reverse that logic: They've been overly budget conscious for 2 decades and never won a playoff series, but when they pay Buxton and Correa, they finally got over the hump.

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I mean that's so flawed logically, no one believes that. that's just not how baseball works.

Reverse that logic: They've been overly budget conscious for 2 decades and never won a playoff series, but when they pay Buxton and Correa, they finally got over the hump.

I didn't say that it wasn't flawed, but it sounds like reasonable logic for them.  Although, I'm not generally ever in favor of making a move only to make it appear that "we're trying".  That doesn't work.  Never has.

Of course, this is a completely different brand of baseball than what I grew up watching.  While analytics may be great, I think they also cloud a lot of what made baseball entertaining...strategy and personality. 

The only logic that matters to the Pohlads is how much money they can squeeze out of fans. They know that the team will still be very profitable as a mid-tier team. They've made the calculation that spending big to win a championship doesn't create enough revenue to justify the cost. So they're content to be "contenders" instead of "champions." 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

As have I, not that I went to many to begin with. If I want to check out a ball game I'll check out CHS Field and the Saints.

Growing up, my dad and I would go to 15-20 games a year, when my wife and I started going together, and up until 4-5 years ago, we’d go to maybe 10-15 games a year. 

We took our daughter to her first Twins game this year, and it’s the first game we’ve gone to in three years. And sadly, a number of the people we met over the years have followed suit.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 2:18 PM, vike daddy said:

how many Minnesotans are competing in the Summer Olympics? any of them likely to win medals?

don'tcha know....

St. Paul native Suni Lee and her teammates earned gold for the women's gymnastic team finals during the Summer Games in Paris on Tuesday. 

Lee, Simone Biles, Jordan Chiles, Jade Carey, and Hezly Rivera took home gold in the team finals in what several athletes have called a "redemption tour" after finishing second to Russia during the 2020 Tokyo Games.

https://www.fox9.com/news/st-paul-native-suni-lee-wins-team-gold-paris-olympics

• Like 3