2018 Free Agents

gopherwrestler

I'm a bit cautious on the free agency front. I don't usually like spending big money on other peoples' rejects.

There are a few circumstances where it can be fine, but usually the reason a player makes it to free agency as to do with the player himself. If it's team/scheme/money related, I'm more open to the idea, but they still have to come in at the right price point.

I'm so torn personally on the Kirk Cousins dilemma. I still lean towards the 'no' crowd, but I also don't want to completely dismiss him either.

Something to consider: one of the fears most have around signing Cousins is that the team could lose one or two defensive studs. While true, do we no longer trust Zimmer and Spielman to identify defensive talent to bring in as a replacement?

Might as well bring Tim Tebow in too if the team is going to bring in Manziel. Once you have brought the circus to town how much can it hurt to add another clown to the tent?

For clarity, I am strongly against bringing either Johnny Manziel or Tim Tebow to camp or even in for a tryout. 

10 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Where has it been said they're going to bring in Manziel?

by using the conjunction "if," the author in no way states he sees it as a certainty or even a probability the second clause is true, ie: Manziel will be brought in for a tryout.

if the author assumed an assuredness in his statement, he would have used "when."

I think the thought process of losing 2 defensive studs if we sign Cousins is unfounded.

Has anyone actually ran the numbers or is it just assumptions? Worst case scenario, we need to move 1 defensive stud for a draft pick early while they have team control... BB has been doing that for a long time.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

I think the thought process of losing 2 defensive studs if we sign Cousins is unfounded.

Has anyone actually ran the numbers or is it just assumptions? Worst case scenario, we need to move 1 defensive stud for a draft pick early while they have team control... BB has been doing that for a long time.

BB also has had the greatest QB the sport has seen to fall back on. 

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

Where has it been said they're going to bring in Manziel?

This strikes me as kind of a bizarre question but to answer it I haven't seen or heard that stated anywhere. Why do you ask or think that I would know where it was stated if it was indeed stated?

ESPN has listed all three Vikings free agent quarterbacks in their top 50 currently available free agents. Case Keenum is list fifth, Sam Bradford is 18th and Teddy Bridgewater is 23rd. Considering that there are 32 teams in the NFL, to have three guys from the same position from one team in the top 23 has to be unprecedented.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Are-Minnesota-Vikings-tag-and-trade-candidates-115111278

6 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Why do you ask or think that I would know where it was stated if it was indeed stated?

Your comment was "if they are going to bring in Manziel," which I interpreted as you thinking they were going to.

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

ESPN has listed all three Vikings free agent quarterbacks in their top 50 currently available free agents. Case Keenum is list fifth, Sam Bradford is 18th and Teddy Bridgewater is 23rd. Considering that there are 32 teams in the NFL, to have three guys from the same position from one team in the top 23 has to be unprecedented.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Are-Minnesota-Vikings-tag-and-trade-candidates-115111278

Kind of hoping an idiot team gives Keenum comparable money to Garappolo just for the sake of receiving a high comp pick. Hopefully Bradford gets paid too to help balance out the Vikes FA acquisitions.

8 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Do comp picks get cancelled out if you sign a player at a different position?

For example, if we sign Sheldon Richardson, would that negate losing Keenum? Or would that not matter because it is two different positions?

I believe positions are irrelevant...it's a straight 1-for-1.  

If the Vikings are going to spend money, I’d much rather see them go after the 26 year old, 1st team All Pro guard and make him the highest paid at his position. Rather than make a mid tier starting QB the highest paid player in the league just because he’s the “best available” at a position that’s lacking around the league. 

Archived