2018 Free Agents

gopherwrestler

17 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Burton would provide something at the tight end position we don’t really have. He’d be a nice signing to work with Morgan as a #2 TE tandem. 

He will probably end up costing $4-$6m per year. Not worth it for a rotational backup TE. I'm fine with Bell in that role.

47 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

That’s if Rudolph is kept past this year.

Why wouldn’t he be? 

I just don’t understand the desire to move on from Rudolph, or cut his salary on this board. He’s a 2x pro bowler and has the 4th most touchdowns by a TE since 2011, only behind Antonio Gates (HoF), Rob Gronkowski (HoF), and Jimmy Graham. 

Getting rid of Rudolph will just lead you to chasing the production he’s already achieving. 

12 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Unless Treadwell turns things on next year, we need another receiving threat. Burton as a flex tight end would mesh on the field very well with Rudolph in-line with Diggs and Thielen. 

I don’t think it’s whether or not Treadwell turns it on. No receiver you add is going to do anything if the quarterback doesn’t look in their direction. Which was the case for Treadwell, Wright, and Floyd, who all got open consistently, they just didn’t get looked at. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Getting rid of Rudolph will just lead you to chasing the production he’s already achieving. 

and also, at least for now, he has a significant "veteran presence" that helps team morale and cohesiveness. we might lose that with his replacement.

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Why wouldn’t he be? 

I just don’t understand the desire to move on from Rudolph, or cut his salary on this board. He’s a 2x pro bowler and has the 4th most touchdowns by a TE since 2011, only behind Antonio Gates (HoF), Rob Gronkowski (HoF), and Jimmy Graham. 

Are we trying to keep him past this contract. Also even with paying Burton $6M having an athletic TE to be on top of Rudolph could only make this team even better.

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Are we trying to keep him past this contract.

Again, why wouldn’t they be?

And, yes, while having an athletic tight end to add with Rudolph would be great, I don’t see how adding a player who’ll likely only play 67% of the snaps for a top 20 tight end contract is a wise allocation of resources. Especially when a guy like Burton doesn’t really add anything special. I’m sure a 6’2” 235 pound tight end with a 30” and 4.6 speed can be found all over the place, and for a lot cheaper. 

43 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

does our Offensive Coordinator run a lot of 2 TE sets? 

Probably not much more than we saw this last year. The non-starting TE saw about 40% of the offensive snaps in Philadelphia in 2016 and 2017, as well as in Cleveland in 2015. This last year the Vikings’ no -starting TE saw 35% of the offensive snaps. 

11 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Probably not much more than we saw this last year. The non-starting TE saw about 40% of the offensive snaps in Philadelphia in 2016 and 2017, as well as in Cleveland in 2015. This last year the Vikings’ no -starting TE saw 35% of the offensive snaps. 

It did seem as if they were bigger parts of the passing offense though. Morgan and Bell combined for 13 receptions for 114 yards. I would love to see them bring in Burton to create more mismatches. I really like Rudolph, but he doesn't do a lot to scare anyone vertically up the seam. 

2 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

At this point, there's absolutely nothing to lose by giving him a shot in training camp.  I'd actually have no issue with it at this point...and of course, the new OC is very familiar with him.    

Archived