2018 Free Agents

gopherwrestler

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Rudolph has been one of the better tight ends in the league, I just don’t see any reason to look to cut him. 

His last year he has a cap hit of $7.7M and would be able to basically Flip him for the same contract we could give to Burton who is younger and more athletic. 

While I wouldn’t hate it, it might not be a terrible deal after the next year if we need to make salary room to sign a QB to a long term deal and keep one of the core players

43 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Beau Allen is a FA at DT, who happens to be from Minnetonka. 

I think he’d be an excellent addition to the DT rotation, maybe a replacement for Shamar Stephen if he leaves in free agency. 

Thanx 4 the 411.  I was more worried about replacing S Floyd, an UT, than a NT type guy.  I apologize that I don't know/ didn't use the proper '#-tech' terminology for different DTs.

There could be value in signing Allen, for (more) depth at NT, whether or not S. Stephens is re-signed. 

8 hours ago, Purplexing said:

^ are there any Iggles FA OGs ?  DTs?

Why would the DeFilippo hire lead us to add an Eagles DT? DeFilippo didn't have anything to do with the defense there, and he won't here either.

4 hours ago, Klomp said:

Why would the DeFilippo hire lead us to add an Eagles DT? DeFilippo didn't have anything to do with the defense there, and he won't here either.

Correct.  He knew the DL because they practiced against the OL.  Didn't coach them, but knows their skill set. 

19 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

His last year he has a cap hit of $7.7M and would be able to basically Flip him for the same contract we could give to Burton who is younger and more athletic. 

While I wouldn’t hate it, it might not be a terrible deal after the next year if we need to make salary room to sign a QB to a long term deal and keep one of the core players

I see what you did there!

14 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

meanwhile, the rosters of the Rams, Cincy, and Cleveland got ravaged.

not sure how i feel of Richard Sherman going to the Packers.

Just a big mouth that really doesn’t have much left. He has been on the decline. This past injury doesn’t help that.

even with that he probably would be the best CB on that roster.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

here is some fun. I’d be willing to also bet Arik Armstead will hit the trade block. If we could get him for 3rd, hell I would give up a 2nd for him. 

He is just no longer a fit in the defense the 49ers are trying to run.

He is he a fit for our defense?

The Eagles have several players who are either free agents or potential cap casualties who would fill needs for the Vikings. Let’s have a look…

RB, Darren Sproles 

The veteran running back missed all but three games this season, but he’s been an effective rotational back into his 30s. In 2016, the former Chargers and Saints star ran for 438 yards at 4.7 yards per carry and caught 52 passes for the Eagles. With Jerick McKinnon likely to depart, the Vikings will be looking for an affordable pass catcher out of the backfield.

TE, Trey Burton

One of the heroes of the Super Bowl, Burton has proven that he can be a valuable role player. In 15 games as Philadelphia’s No. 2 tight end, he caught 23 passes on 31 targets for 248 yards and five touchdowns. The Vikings have two quality tight ends in Kyle Rudolph and David Morgan, but haven’t found a speedy tight end despite drafting two in the last three years. Burton ran a 4.62 40-yard dash at the Combine in 2014.

WR, Torrey Smith

The Vikings signed Michael Floyd in search of a deep threat receiver and did not get much from him. Smith led the NFL in yards per reception in 2015. He only grabbed 36 passes this year, but caught 13  in the playoffs for 157 yards. Right now the Vikings have Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen and Jarius Wright locked into roles, but the outlook for Laquon Treadwell and Stacy Coley is unclear. They could use another veteran. Smith is still under contract, but can be released with zero penalty.

TE, Brent Celek

At one time, Celek was one of the premier tight ends in the NFL, but he’s fallen down the depth chart, catching only 27 passes over the last two years. Even into his 30s, he’s been incredibly durable, playing 16 games every season of his 11-year career. Celek wouldn’t bring the Vikings speed from the position, but he would add another weapon to use in sets with three tight ends. Celek could also be a cap casualty.

RB, LeGarrette Blount 

We all keep getting older, but Blount plays like he doesn’t age. While many running backs fade into their late 20s, Blount keeps trucking. In 2016 he scored 18 touchdowns for the Patriots and this year he gained 4.4 yards per rush and gave the Eagles 766 yards as part of a rotation. With Dalvin Cook returning, it wouldn’t appear the Vikings need a ground-and-pound back, but one of the lessons the Eagles taught us is that contending teams can never have enough good players rotating in.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/02/5-players-follow-new-oc-defilippo-minnesota/

Archived