2018 Free Agents

gopherwrestler

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Who should we let walk in 2019 to afford it? Diggs, Kendricks or Barr? Or do we just go with a rookie QB and whatever veteran that is willing to sign what Keenum signed last year.

The Vikings will likely have north of $60M in cap space heading into free agency. You can hand out a good chunk of money in 2018 to keep the cap space in 2019. 

But to answer your question. Diggs, Barr and Kendricks combined are probably going to cost between $30M and $35M. That still leaves you with ~$30M in cap space. 

The Vikings are sitting in a very good spot to not only re-sign their core players, but to also land a couple of good free agents. 

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

However, I would be looking to trade Waynes for value now. It was a very much improved season from him.

I even understand that we'd be losing Waynes + Newman at the same time, but I would still do it if the trade return is fair.

And, in your opinion, what would a fair return be for Waynes?

Anything short of a 1st round pick is not getting fair return on Waynes. 

Hes a well above average starting cornerback who has improved every year. You can never have too many good defensive backs. Losing Waynes and having to replace him would very difficult, and would cost more than it would to likely keep him. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Anything short of a 1st round pick is not getting fair return on Waynes. 

Hes a well above average starting cornerback who has improved every year. You can never have too many good defensive backs. Losing Waynes and having to replace him would very difficult, and would cost more than it would to likely keep him. 

Agreed.  I wouldn't accept less than a first for Waynes if he's on the trading block.  I fully expect them to pick up his 5th year option, so whatever team that would trade for him would have him for a full year.  I'm not giving that away.  

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings will likely have north of $60M in cap space heading into free agency. You can hand out a good chunk of money in 2018 to keep the cap space in 2019. 

But to answer your question. Diggs, Barr and Kendricks combined are probably going to cost between $30M and $35M. That still leaves you with ~$30M in cap space. 

The Vikings are sitting in a very good spot to not only re-sign their core players, but to also land a couple of good free agents. 

What do you estimate Bradford,Teddy or Keenum resigning for? 

I'm not opposed to spending $10-15 million on outside free agents, I'd just prefer not to spend it all on one player. There are depth concerns at LB and CB, we might need to sign a FA DT, and OL and QB could use some work.

4 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Agreed.  I wouldn't accept less than a first for Waynes if he's on the trading block.  I fully expect them to pick up his 5th year option, so whatever team that would trade for him would have him for a full year.  I'm not giving that away.  

I wouldn't trade Waynes either. I'm not sure he's going to be part of the future because of the cost, but Kay out his five years and see what happens on the open market. If he takes a huge deal elsewhere, we should get a nice comp pick. If he comes back to us and his market is soft, see if a deal can be made. The Vikes can't keep everyone going forward.

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I wouldn't trade Waynes either. I'm not sure he's going to be part of the future because of the cost, but Kay out his five years and see what happens on the open market. If he takes a huge deal elsewhere, we should get a nice comp pick. If he comes back to us and his market is soft, see if a deal can be made. The Vikes can't keep everyone going forward.

I would be intrigued with a 2nd round pick for Waynes

10 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

What do you estimate Bradford,Teddy or Keenum resigning for? 

I'm not opposed to spending $10-15 million on outside free agents, I'd just prefer not to spend it all on one player. There are depth concerns at LB and CB, we might need to sign a FA DT, and OL and QB could use some work.

*whispers* sign Teddy for likely south of 10M, still ~12M to work with for FA....it'll be awesome

On 1/25/2018 at 3:02 AM, CriminalMind said:

We should be trading Barr early, instead of just letting him go. Take a pic out of BB, trade for value while still have 1 to 1.5 years left so your getting value back.

I would be looking to move Waynes first tho

Agreed. this is exactly what Bellichek would do. I'd look for a 3-4 team that has a mid-first round pick, and try to get a mid first and a 3rd this year, with a third next year. That's one less player they need to sign, and I'd use that money on either a DL or OL. 

I hated the Waynes pick, but at this point, you can't trade him unless you are signing two FA CBs.......one of whom will have to be really good. 

Also, 538 had a great article on how teams have finally figured out that trading picks for proven players is actually a better plan than trading proven players for picks.....

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Agreed. this is exactly what Bellichek would do. I'd look for a 3-4 team that has a mid-first round pick, and try to get a mid first and a 3rd this year, with a third next year. That's one less player they need to sign, and I'd use that money on either a DL or OL. 

Would you be using that pick on a linebacker ? We don't have anyone on the roster that could replace him

2 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I hated the Waynes pick, but at this point, you can't trade him unless you are signing two FA CBs.......one of whom will have to be really good. 

Also, 538 had a great article on how teams have finally figured out that trading picks for proven players is actually a better plan than trading proven players for picks.....

Aren't you contradicting yourself? 

21 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Aren't you contradicting yourself? 

I said I wouldn't trade Waynes, unless I could get way more back than they are giving up......

Unless you mean the Barr thing. The delta is Barr is a FA soon, and I don't think he's a great fit in this scheme (good, not great). I think they can extract extra value from him......in other words, I think he's worth more to other teams than the Vikings. I think Barr is replaable, but finding 2-3 more CBs is harder. Also, Waynes has improved (though his awful play cost them a lot before he was good), whereas Barr is good, but I don't know if he's improving.

As for how to replace Barr? Not sure right now.....I think the Vikes can be both sellers of players, and sellers of draft picks. The goal, imo, is to get a slightly better fit than Barr (and someone that won't cost as much as I think he will....its partly about money effiency for me here).

Archived