Nintendo Switch Thread

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Switch worth getting? And any Pokémon games coming out besides the let’s go one?

There should be a main Pokemon entry coming out late next year on Switch. Just the Let's Go games for now.

3 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Bought the Switch a few weeks ago. It's cool and all. I just think of it as a adult Gameboy. I bought it for nostalgia reasons as well. Loved Mario Tennis as a kid and planned on buying Pokemon till I heard it was a glorified version of the "Go App" garbage. But I also got Smash Bros coming out end of the year so that will be an instant cop. Because Roy's our boy. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase even though I've used it maybe 2 hours top. Thinking the new online vault with the NES games will make it more interesting, too.

I have a question though...

Do anyone really use it in Dock Mode? I tried it and hated it. Just felt like it really wasn't meant to be played on the big screen, lol 

I mostly use the Switch docked. Just more familiar to me.

9 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Do anyone really use it in Dock Mode? I tried it and hated it. Just felt like it really wasn't meant to be played on the big screen, lol 

My kids and I do it all the time.

For single player games, sure, use it "Gameboy" mode (it's great when Dad wants the TV for football!). But for in-person multiplayer games (like, I dunno, Smash)? You really want to try that with a 4" screen?

Edited by Woz
Updating for football point
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Anyone going to get Pokemon Lets Go? From what ive read it's basically a remake of Yellow with Switch Graphics, Two Players at same time is an option, Can import Pokemon from Pokemon Go (Don't care about this), One New Pokemon, and Sun/Moon Aloha Evolutions will be in as well.

I'm going to be getting it.  I'm actually looking forward to it.  I think it's been receiving a lot of unwarranted hate.

10 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

I'm going to be getting it.  I'm actually looking forward to it.  I think it's been receiving a lot of unwarranted hate.

Agreed. People are treating it like some knock off the Pokemon Go game. The only relations it has to Pokemon Go are the way you catch pokemon, might have to use your arm (probably can use traditional style as well), and can import Pokemon from Pokemon Go.

Besides that, it's not gonna be anything like your travesty that is Pokemon Go. It will be just like any other Pokemon game with Gyms, Badges, Level Up, Story, Six Pokemon usable, etc etc. People are hating that it's a Yellow remake, but like I stated before, these will 1) Switch Graphics, 2) Not a 100% remake, 3) Aloha Forms, 4) One New Pokemon, 5) Multiplayer with the Joycon, two characters on screen.

Number 5 is actually very important to me, my girlfriend and I can play with two characters, same game, and same screen. That is absolutely awesome. Basically do the journey together.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Woz said:

For single player games, sure, use it "Gameboy" mode (it's great when Dad wants the TV for football!). But for in-person multiplayer games (like, I dunno, Smash)? You really want to try that with a 4" screen?

This. Mario Kart looks glorious in HD on a big screen TV. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 10:51 AM, BayRaider said:

Anyone going to get Pokemon Lets Go? From what ive read it's basically a remake of Yellow with Switch Graphics, Two Players at same time is an option, Can import Pokemon from Pokemon Go (Don't care about this), One New Pokemon, and Sun/Moon Aloha Evolutions will be in as well.

I have like a dozen coworkers who preordered it, so I'm going to give it until like a week after release, see what they say, and decide to buy it or not. I'm cautiously optimistic.

On 9/27/2018 at 10:55 AM, Woz said:

In my house it consistently goes both ways. Docked and handheld.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2018 at 2:37 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Teach me how to MOBA. I've heard fo them but couldn't tell you what one is.

Nowhere near enough room here or time to go into too much detail about "MOBA-ing", but i can explain the basics. A MOBA is a multiplayer online battle arena game. Most games played are 5 vs 5. Each player picks a hero/champion/character (sometimes in a draft type of format). Each hero posesses unique traits and abilities. There are Tanks (beefy high HP types), mages (magic users, burst damage), marksmen (ranged DPS), assassins (melee burst damage, for ganking) and more. There battlefield consists of three lanes and the jungle between the lanes. Each team has a Core/Base and three defensive towers on their side of the map. The object of the games are to gradually push down the lanes against the opposing team, destroy their towers (and kill there heroes along the way), and eventually destroy their tower.

There are tons of strategies and ways to play. Different games cater to different strategies, but most follow some universal "rules"; ie: Don't over extend when laning, when off lane (usually the left hand lane which a lot of the time is 1vs2) harass but don't know when to back off or even give up your tower, communicate with your jungler, etc.

DOTA 2 and League of Legends are the most popular PC MOBAs. SMITE has become very popular on consoles. But Arena of Valor has cornered the mobile market and is one of the most played games (according to monthly play numbers) in the world (the chinese market helps a lot with this), not just for MOBAs. AoV is the same kind of game as LoL or DOTA2, but Where LoL or DOTA is Coca Cola, AoV is more like Diet Dr. Pepper. It's much more fast paced and a bit more accessible. Were games for LoL and DOTA on average run 1hr+, most games of AoV are done in 15-20 minutes. Still VERY fun, it just moves quicker. It runs beautifully on Switch, and has had the system and heroes tweaked for consoles. Their website and Youtube provides tons more in depth videos and everything you would want to know for getting into the game.

• Like 1