Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

A Georgia native, the Northern Colorado quarterback product had been an exemplary student and had already lined up a position in Atlanta in his chosen career path of finance. One year ago today, he was thinking he might get a couple reps in the 2016 season, then he'd graduate and the next chapter of his life would begin.

It's funny how that next chapter isn't always chiseled into marble. Here he is, one year later, on the verge of making the Denver Broncos' final roster. With Sloter performing well in workouts and 2017 QB draft pick Chad Kelly injured, it is looking more and more like Sloter will make the opening day list for Denver as an undrafted free agent. A year ago, he wasn't even the starting quarterback at Northern Colorado and he hadn't played a whole lot of college football, period.

"I was getting ready to be the backup quarterback (for Northern Colorado), probably about this time last year," Sloter told HERO Sports on the eve of his first full-speed scrimmage with Denver on Saturday. "A couple of weeks into camp I saw that it wasn't a quarterback battle anymore and I just decided then that I'd finish out what I started and move on with my life."

https://herosports.com/news/denver-broncos-kyle-sloter-quarterback-fcs-northern-colorado-ajaj

Watched some of sloter's "highlights" from the preseason, and while it doesn't show all of his plays, he looks to do very well. Throws a nice ball, and seems to have really nice touch and accuracy. Threaded some passes in tight windows... the type of stuff that you'd hope to see Bradford doing as your starter. I'm going to take some time to watch the Broncos' preseason games just when Sloter is playing to get the whole story, but so far I think we nabbed a good player.

Watching Sloter in Denver's 4th preseason game... his stat line should look better than what it was (and it was still good). He has had several very catchable passes dropped. So far, I don't think I've seen him throw a bad pass up to halftime. He has had some timing issues where a pass could have been thrown earlier to make a catch easier, but all of his throws have been on target, and when in tight coverage the throws are in good spots. He did take a safety, but I think that has to do with him needing to become more familiar with feeling pressure. He seems to do well climbing a pocket, and has some good zip on his throws. Not afraid to throw into a tight window.

55 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

when is the last time a former PS quarterback ever became even a capable #2?

I had the same thought. The Vikings didn't feel it was worth giving him a spot on the 53 and neither did any of the other 31 franchises. That doesn't exactly give much reason to hope. QBs with potential tend to make it to the 53 man roster.

That said, I know nothing more about the guy than what I read in the last few hours. It is still possible all 32 teams are wrong and the guy will develop into a solid backup some day. For now, I just hope he'll be able to run the scout team in practice.

The Vikings announced seven players signed to the practice squad, but the list doesn’t include quarterback Kyle Sloter. The former Broncos quarterback was on his way to the Twin Cities to sign his contract, which will pay him three times the minimum practice squad salary.The team outbid Denver, Washington, Philadelphia and Atlanta for Sloter, according to Chris Tomasson of the Twin Cities Pioneer Pr ess, by offering $20,000 a week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/03/vikings-announce-seven-players-joining-kyle-sloter-on-practice-squad/