Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

41 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agreed.  That's why the Vikings need to keep winning...maybe Cleveland will hire someone else.  

If Cleveland really McDaniels, the hiring of Rhule May speed their process up. They aren’t going to want to possibly lose McDaniels to NY. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

If Cleveland really McDaniels, the hiring of Rhule May speed their process up. They aren’t going to want to possibly lose McDaniels to NY. 

Well, unfortunately they don't have to worry about that now, since the Giants hired someone no one has ever heard of.  :D

With Joe Judge being hired in NYG....that leaves Stefanski with only one opening (Cleveland) and they've already interviewed 3 and have 3 more to go (including Stefanski Thursday). Cleveland said they want to hire the coach by Saturday afternoon (around when the Vikings play).

We might get him for another season,

12 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

With Joe Judge being hired in NYG....that leaves Stefanski with only one opening (Cleveland) and they've already interviewed 3 and have 3 more to go (including Stefanski Thursday). Cleveland said they want to hire the coach by Saturday afternoon (around when the Vikings play).

We might get him for another season,

I wonder why he’d even want the job at this point. They’ve already turned him down once, just last year. There’s no stability with that team and you’ve got to deal with a number of personalities. Mayfield regressed significantly. does Beckham even want to be there? what Garrett’s status? There’s some talent to work with but it could also be another ugly year for Cleveland.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

And the players in Cleveland may not be inspired by his hire either.  They may have to go hire McDaniels as a big name to inspire their players to not clamor to be moved.  

I just don’t know how you could sell another first time head coach, with only 1 year coordinator experience to the fans or the players. 

Personally, I think a guy like Jason Garrett would be the best option. But McDaniels is probably the biggest name available. 

30 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I just don’t know how you could sell another first time head coach, with only 1 year coordinator experience to the fans or the players. 

Personally, I think a guy like Jason Garrett would be the best option. But McDaniels is probably the biggest name available. 

Why would McDaniels want to go there? I feel like he’s waiting for the perfect opportunity. Garrett is possible, he’s a bigger name but ultimately probably goes the way of Mike McCarthy and takes a year off.

7 minutes ago, since72 said:

This is the thing.  If we fired Zimmer because he’s not able to get us to the Super Bowl, who would we be interviewing?  🤔

McCarthy.  McDaniels.  Garrett.  Judge.  

yippee.

Stefanski? You’re not likely going to go out and hire a proven coach. even Bill Belichick didn’t make it in his first stint as HC. 

17 minutes ago, since72 said:

This is the thing.  If we fired Zimmer because he’s not able to get us to the Super Bowl, who would we be interviewing?  🤔

McCarthy.  McDaniels.  Garrett.  Judge.  

yippee.

Dude stop.

You purposely list those coaches but you leave out the true coaches that can carry this team a lot farther than all of those and Zimmer.

Freddie Kitchens is the coach to lead the team into the next decade but to make your point, you didn't list him.

I don't have the same optimism about Stefanski's potential Head Coaching career as others do.

I didn't purposely leave out anyone.  I was just listing coaches that are actually being hired right now or have been thrown around as finalists for open spots.  I don't even know who half these guys are.  About all I know about Kitchens is that he was fired from the Browns and hasn't been hired by anyone else yet, even though the only open spot left is the Browns.

Just my opinion (as a casual fan, I've never pretended to be anything else), given the head coaches that are being hired right now (to replace fired coaches), I'm glad we're not looking for a head coach.  The selection looks pretty dismal to me.  Except for Washington maybe.   But even there, I don't think Del Rio and Rivera are a improvement from Zimmer.

I'm sure there are coaches out there that are better than Zimmer.  Just seems odd that the Panthers, Cowboys, Browns, and Giants aren't hiring them?  Rather settling for inferior coaches???

7 hours ago, since72 said:

I don't have the same optimism about Stefanski's potential Head Coaching career as others do.

I didn't purposely leave out anyone.  I was just listing coaches that are actually being hired right now or have been thrown around as finalists for open spots.  I don't even know who half these guys are.  About all I know about Kitchens is that he was fired from the Browns and hasn't been hired by anyone else yet, even though the only open spot left is the Browns.

It was sarcasm 

• Like 2

I'm not sure who Cleveland will hire, but I expect a similar contract to what Rhule got, with at least 5 years on the deal so whoever it is will be there for 3 or 4 years, guaranteed. Even if things don't go super well for a year or two (see Kyle Shanahan in SF), the Browns needs to focus on building culture and their play in the trenches. if they ever want to be more than a fringe Wild Card team.

15 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

I'm not sure who Cleveland will hire, but I expect a similar contract to what Rhule got, with at least 5 years on the deal so whoever it is will be there for 3 or 4 years, guaranteed. Even if things don't go super well for a year or two (see Kyle Shanahan in SF), the Browns needs to focus on building culture and their play in the trenches. if they ever want to be more than a fringe Wild Card team.

That would suggest that they have to do something that they haven't done for 20 years.  I'm not sure the current owner is capable of that.  

Edited by swede700