Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

Some players can play through pain better than others.  You can see an example in the Netflix QB documentary of Mahomes playing on a sprained ankle.  I consider players that are unwilling or unable to play through pain for the good of the team to be soft. In general, people nowadays are relatively soft. Perhaps that is for some longer-term good, but that doesn't change the reality of a soft person being soft.

Sure, there are limits to what pain a player should attempt to play through, but I prefer those limits to be placed on them by medical staff and coaches rather than by the player himself being unwilling to compete to the best of his ability in whatever his given condition is at a particular time.

21 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Some players can play through pain better than others.  You can see an example in the Netflix QB documentary of Mahomes playing on a sprained ankle.  I consider players that are unwilling or unable to play through pain for the good of the team to be soft. In general, people nowadays are relatively soft. Perhaps that is for some longer-term good, but that doesn't change the reality of a soft person being soft.

Sure, there are limits to what pain a player should attempt to play through, but I prefer those limits to be placed on them by medical staff and coaches rather than by the player himself being unwilling to compete to the best of his ability in whatever his given condition is at a particular time.

It's different for a QB playing on a sprained ankle than a DE. That was also the playoffs

• Like 1

I guess there is going to continue to be disagreement about who/what is "soft" versus who/what is "tough."  That's okay.

For the record, while I marvel at the awesome athleticism of many modern players, I think the game of football is boring compared to past "eras."  I used to watch every game possible...college and pro.  I now only watch the Vikings when ever they are rarely on TV in my area. Otherwise, I watch RedZone...even then, I turn it off after the Vikings game is settled.

For me, the game has been neutered by rule changes that favor the offense over the defense. The footballs focus on passing has caused offensive line play generally, across the league, to be awful. The denigration of the run game, as well as defenses protecting the field high, taking away the big play downfield, has led to screen passes, and 5 yard curls, have made the game more conservative and boring, in my opinion.

I'd still rather watch an offense that can run the ball than a quarterback who dinks and dunks all the time. Effective running opens up things downfield.  So, I prefer the game of 70's as opposed to the game of today.  It's okay if you don't.   Guys today are better athletes generally. But they aren't better football players for the most part.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

EXACTLY what I'm talking about. No way to quantify or back up claims like this, just vibes thrown out as fact.

I didn't try to quantify anything, nor did I throw anything out as fact. My statement that you quoted clearly said it was a generality.  It was also clearly an opinion. I back my opinion up with strong evidence -- a first-hand account of what I have seen with my own two eyes. It isn't an opinion that I have formed based on second or third-hand stories.

If you only want to read facts, you can find plenty of stats that show people nowadays are psychologically softer than their counterparts in previous generations. Check out the per capita depression and suicide rates through time.  You can't count how many times someone wasn't psychologically tough enough to play through bumps and bruises. Maybe diagnoses of depression vary through time based on looking for it more, but death rates are absolute. People are getting softer and softer.  Football players, being people too, likewise are softer nowadays relative to their predecessors.

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

OK let's change it up a bit.

In a limited fashion, we've seen what Davenport is capable of.

Is he worth re-signing upon the conclusion of this season?

For the right price, for sure.  Given his history, something that is heavily incentive based makes sense.  If he finds a better offer somewhere else, I would congratulate him and wish him the best.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

OK let's change it up a bit.

In a limited fashion, we've seen what Davenport is capable of.

Is he worth re-signing upon the conclusion of this season?

For the right price yeah but his injury history is a real thing at this point almost to the point where it’s may not even be worth it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I didn't try to quantify anything, nor did I throw anything out as fact. My statement that you quoted clearly said it was a generality.  It was also clearly an opinion. I back my opinion up with strong evidence -- a first-hand account of what I have seen with my own two eyes. It isn't an opinion that I have formed based on second or third-hand stories.

If you only want to read facts, you can find plenty of stats that show people nowadays are psychologically softer than their counterparts in previous generations. Check out the per capita depression and suicide rates through time.  You can't count how many times someone wasn't psychologically tough enough to play through bumps and bruises. Maybe diagnoses of depression vary through time based on looking for it more, but death rates are absolute. People are getting softer and softer.  Football players, being people too, likewise are softer nowadays relative to their predecessors.

I have this theory, the harder you have work in life for basic needs, the less time you have to think about how much life sucks. It's almost backwards in a way. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I'm really hesitant to wade into a conversation that devolved to this point (especially as my first post in like 3 years), but..... This is just really cruel....

Depression or suicide are not measures of some nebulous concept such as "softness"

• Like 6