Alex Smith to be traded to Washington for 3rd round pick and CB Kendall Fuller; agrees to extension

Apparition

Just now, iPwn said:

If this is such a great play, why isn’t Pittsburgh, who doesn’t even play in Free Agency, doing this with Bell? Why didn’t the Lions do it with Suh? Why doesn’t every team do it with every big Free Agent?

Honestly, I'm not sure why don't more teams do it.  My guess is it has more to do with players aren't worth that franchise tag.  Why do you think the Steelers franchise tagged Le'Veon Bell?  My guess is because they felt his value far exceed the value of the franchise tag.  Look at Pittsburgh's current cap situation, they're in the red which means they can't.  They could do some cap maneuvering to do so.  As for Suh, I'm going strictly off of memory but the Lions were in cap hell.  I don't think they had a viable way to franchise him and stay under the cap.  I might be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because it's obviously going to fail. 

And the worst case scenario is it fails, they rescind the franchise offer, and collect their 3rd round pick in 2019.  The alternative is not franchise tagging him and getting that 3rd round pick in 2019.  I'm not sure I see the downside...

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I thought that was for the first few years, I thought the last few years had to be closer to 95%.  Do I have it backwards?

As far as I can tell, it was and still is 89%. Regardless, that was money they could have spent that they valued the pick more as.

But maybe the pick isn’t worth $30M to the Jags or the Broncos. Maybe to them, it’s worth less. It can’t be that absurd of a discrepancy though. $5 million? Should Kirk be happy that Washington dropped his AAV by $1M/year?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

And the worst case scenario is it fails, they rescind the franchise offer, and collect their 3rd round pick in 2019.  The alternative is not franchise tagging him and getting that 3rd round pick in 2019.  I'm not sure I see the downside...

You're using too much logic. 

I see, Redskins give long term over 3/4 guaranteed deal to a mid 30s QB, blow all the value they had invested in Cousins and fail to get anything more than a compensation pick for a franchise QB. The only downside to this is it's not the Bears or Vikings.

5 minutes ago, iPwn said:

As far as I can tell, it was and still is 89%. Regardless, that was money they could have spent that they valued the pick more as.

But maybe the pick isn’t worth $30M to the Jags or the Broncos. Maybe to them, it’s worth less. It can’t be that absurd of a discrepancy though. $5 million? Should Kirk be happy that Washington dropped his AAV by $1M/year?

Admittedly I'm going purely memory, but I could have sworn it was really low early, and then it got closer to 100% towards the end of the CBA.

I'm just asking, do you believe that a team is going to draw the line in the sand over a 2nd round pick IF they feel that Cousins is a franchise QB?  I don't buy for a second that the team acquiring Cousins is going to scoff at giving up a 2nd round pick.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I see, Redskins give long term over 3/4 guaranteed deal to a mid 30s QB, blow all the value they had invested in Cousins and fail to get anything more than a compensation pick for a franchise QB. The only downside to this is it's not the Bears or Vikings.

Too much logic?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

WAS and DEN/JAX or another team can negotiate the terms of a pick/player compensation all they want.  It still comes down to Cousins agreeing to a deal with said team when he chooses to do so.  

If they are offering the contract he wants than why would he say no ?. The only team I see paying much more would be the Browns .i think cousins is a family man first instead of a football man . That's fine he wants to finically keep his family safe . 

Edited by Dashing202

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

To much logic ??‍♂️ 

Edited by Dashing202

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Kirk Cousins has absolutely NO leverage in forcing the Redskins not to tag him.  If the Redskins tag him, he's tagged.  There's no getting out of the franchise tag.  He can try and force the issue by immediately signing the franchise tag, but even if he does so that doesn't really affect the Redskins until FA actually officially opens.  If he wants to sign the tag to force the issue, so be it.  But that isn't going to make him a FA, that just expedites the motivation for the Redskins to trade him.  That's his action if the Redskins tag him.

Yes, he's the property of the Redskins.  But the Redskins don't have any motivation to keep Cousins around.  And that's where the Redskins have motivation to trade him.  Kirk Cousins has his own motivation in a long term contract.

Curt Flood just rolled over in his grave :)

• Like 2

It's not a bad move, but Washington can't rely on Alex Smith for probably more than a year or two. they need someone to develop behind him. Maybe Lamar Jackson?

Kansas City made a smart move, and clearly they trust Mahomes going forward. still, it may be wise to get a decent backup QB behind him.

my guess is John Elway goes all in for Kirk Cousins. 

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Admittedly I'm going purely memory, but I could have sworn it was really low early, and then it got closer to 100% towards the end of the CBA.

I'm just asking, do you believe that a team is going to draw the line in the sand over a 2nd round pick IF they feel that Cousins is a franchise QB?  I don't buy for a second that the team acquiring Cousins is going to scoff at giving up a 2nd round pick.

No one is trading the Redskins anything for Kirk Cousins.  

Why wouldnt kirk sign the tag? He knows it would screw over the redskins and then he could just get traded to what ever team he wants. If they offer and he doesnt sign the there is nothing he can do. If he knows the redskins would HAVE to get rid of him after he signs then hes in the driver seat. 

They also wouldnt be able to trade for anything if he just comes out and says hes not signing anything. 

Honestly as an eagles fan i would love to see the redskins franchise him and have to do a Brock Osweiler type trade because they screwed themselves. 

4 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

Why wouldnt kirk sign the tag? He knows it would screw over the redskins and then he could just get traded to what ever team he wants. If they offer and he doesnt sign the there is nothing he can do. If he knows the redskins would HAVE to get rid of him after he signs then hes in the driver seat. 

They also wouldnt be able to trade for anything if he just comes out and says hes not signing anything. 

Honestly as an eagles fan i would love to see the redskins franchise him and have to do a Brock Osweiler type trade because they screwed themselves. 

Because if he signs the tag, he forfeits any possibility of being an UFA.  If he signs that tag, the Redskins can't rescind the franchise tag.

EDIT: The comparison between Brock Osweiler and Kirk Cousins is really bad.  Nothing at all alike.