Alex Smith to Washington!

FireVanceJoseph

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I would not, in any way, read what happened as an indictment of Cousins. Washington jerked him around repeatedly, and Dan Snyder is a well-known idiot. Just consider, Cousins' camp proposed an extension where Cousins would have gotten $40MM over 3 years, the Skins scoffed, and then paid him $44MM or so with consecutive franchise tags in TWO years. They're a bunch of buffoons over there. I don't blame Cousins for being sour.

I will say this- I'm going to be following what Mike Klis says very, very closely regarding the QB situation. Last year, I felt Cam Wolfe was plugged in better (he was calling out the Henderson and McKenzie names looooong before the drat) but this year Klis seems very in tune. He posited the 2nd round pick would be necessary in a trade for Smith and that was no accident. Now, he's saying some other things that are intriguing- namely the fact that Denver will pursue Cousins with a different salary structure with a lower AAV but more guaranteed money. That's an interesting approach and speaks to the fact that Denver is cash rich but not cap rich. 

Beyond that, Klis had also said the following- the team would be interested in Keenum but he probably won't be available, and the Broncos were not overly impressed by the Mayfield/Allen combo. He also mentioned something in an article I read about the Broncos potentially passing on QB at 5 unless someone they didn't expect fell (Rosen/Darnold).

It's going to be a fascinating offseason.

I also read that supposedly Rosen is Denver’s #1 target in terms of a QB in the draft. 

51 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I also read that supposedly Rosen is Denver’s #1 target in terms of a QB in the draft. 

I read that too and I would be stoked if that were the case. Rosen doesn't get the fanfare, which I really don't understand, but if you value experience, fundamentals, and performance in a young QB, he's the total package. Yes, a little bit of a headcase (allegedly) but the talent is undeniably there. He's more projectable than Allen or Mayfield.

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

I read that too and I would be stoked if that were the case. Rosen doesn't get the fanfare, which I really don't understand, but if you value experience, fundamentals, and performance in a young QB, he's the total package. Yes, a little bit of a headcase (allegedly) but the talent is undeniably there. He's more projectable than Allen or Mayfield.

He looks so smooth like it's easy for him.

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

I've heard him compared a lot to Matty Ice, I haven't watched him myself much, but I would take a Matt Ryan type QB in a heart beat

Rosen would actually be my #1 choice over Kirk, but I think there is very little chance he is available at #5. The gap between Rosen and the next best QB prospect is so wide, in my eyes, that the #2 choice is easily paying Cousins.

Then again, if it comes down to trading up for Rosen, which would likely cost a 2019 R1, maybe more, then my preference begins to shift back to Cousins.

Regardless, we are talking about a QB in Rosen that might be incrementally better than Kirk Cousins in 1-2 years. That's reality. Reality is that one QB in this draft ending up better than Kirk (Top 10-12 QB) is statistically unlikely. Its another reason I lean towards the sure thing.

Washington got fleeced. Not only did they trade a 3rd round pick and a promising young corner, but they also didn't leverage Cousins' tag to force a QB desperate team to trade a pick.

Not to mention the ungodly contract that they gave to Alex Smith-yikes. 

28 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Just throwing out a scenario: We sign Kirk and stay put at #5. Rosen does not get selected 1-4, do we take him at 5 or do we trade that pick for a huge haul..?

You think Rosen is worth that much? An, unproven NFLer?  Rosen, I think, is now plan B if Cousins signs elsewhere.  

The Broncos signing Cousins opens some many doors to what the Broncos can select at #5...Kirkpatrick, Nelson, Barkley, Chubb...who else? 

Cousins is about to become the highest-paid player in the history of the NFL, and the numbers are going to be staggering. This kind of opportunity -- the ability to acquire a franchise quarterback in his prime without having to give up a draft pick -- comes around once in a generation. The last guy who really came close was Drew Brees in 2006, and even then he was coming off of a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder (which famously led the Dolphins to pass on Brees, pushing him to the Saints). Peyton Manning was 36 and coming off of multiple neck surgeries in 2012. Cousins isn't a Hall of Famer, but he's healthier than both those guys were. This simply does not happen.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22271779/winners-losers-alex-smith-trade-kansas-city-chiefs-washington-redskins-2018-nfl-offseason

Please Broncos, let the Jets or Browns make that mistake.

Heard this yesterday, good news for those of us who think Cousins, despite the exorbitant cost, is the better bet than rolling the dice on one of the red flag rookies. I echo the sentiment that Josh Rosen would be the rookie QB with whom I would be most comfortable, I don't see nearly as many red flags in his game or his his makeup than I see with the others. 

If we're able to sign Cousins it gives us the flexibility of going straight BPA with all of our picks, especially at No. 5. If we can hit on our picks and maybe add a few lower-tier free agents, all we would need is a competent head coach and we could be right back in the AFCCG conversation. 

2 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

Just throwing out a scenario: We sign Kirk and stay put at #5. Rosen does not get selected 1-4, do we take him at 5 or do we trade that pick for a huge haul..?

You trade that pick for a haul or draft a position player. You simply don't pay Kirk Cousins the amount he's going to command and then turn around and spend a Top 5 pick on redundancy. It would be crazy.

Archived