Alex Smith to Washington!

FireVanceJoseph

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Denver's players are pretty full throated about this. I can't remember something like this in my years as a fan. Even during the Manning pursuit, you never really heard players being this vocal. My guess is we land Cousins, and Elway + Sullivan will be creative in doing so. I think Cousins wants to win. He's tired of being stuck in mediocrity, which is why the Jets/Browns could be risky propositions.

That's something I have been thinking about recently, signing Kirk would really make the locker room happy and could light a fire under the team that we haven't seen since Peyton retired. 

Also, while we might be down on the franchise right now - and rightfully so given the makeup of the coaching staff, ownership committee and some elements (Matt Russell) of the front office - from the outside, Denver is still regarded as one of the league's premier organizations. A guy from Washington was on the the radio the other day  and said "I think of Denver as one of the Tiffany franchises of the NFL." Elway is an excellent salesman and I think we have to be the front-runners to land Cousins. Not only does the organization have a good reputation and a nice compliment of talent and the ability to add more, we also have the quality of life argument to make that places New York/New Jersey, Buffalo and Cleveland do not. After all, the Mannings still live here even though both are native southerners. 

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Denver's players are pretty full throated about this. I can't remember something like this in my years as a fan. Even during the Manning pursuit, you never really heard players being this vocal. My guess is we land Cousins, and Elway + Sullivan will be creative in doing so. I think Cousins wants to win. He's tired of being stuck in mediocrity, which is why the Jets/Browns could be risky propositions.

Its really easy to put together a contract that works for him and the Broncos. This is just what I've thought of.

Year 1- $20m fully guaranteed.

Year 2- $25m fully guaranteed

Year 3- 30m fully guaranteed

Year 4- $30m with $10m guaranteed

Year 5- $35m with $5m guaranteed

That breaks down to 5 years, $140m($28m aav) and $90m guaranteed. That keeps the cap hit light in the first couple years but goes up when the salary cap should be much higher.

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

Heard the Vikings want to get in on Cousins. That would be tough to beat if they offer the deal 

Yes the Vikes are the sleepers. 

Have a defense , win now. Exactly what Cousins want.

Plus flexibility to the cap if Bridgewater (back to ugly injury) Keenum (older and not a primary QB ) and Bradford (make of glass) are not conserved

They land Cousins (they have money) and secure a vet to be a back up or faith in Kyle Sloter to be the 2nd.

It will be hard for Denver to land Cousins if Minnesota want him. The best assets are for them( To sign cousins we need to dump Sanders, Talib and perhaps DT)

18 hours ago, champ11 said:

Heard the Vikings want to get in on Cousins. That would be tough to beat if they offer the deal 

16 hours ago, French Fan said:

Yes the Vikes are the sleepers. 

Have a defense , win now. Exactly what Cousins want.

Plus flexibility to the cap if Bridgewater (back to ugly injury) Keenum (older and not a primary QB ) and Bradford (make of glass) are not conserved

They land Cousins (they have money) and secure a vet to be a back up or faith in Kyle Sloter to be the 2nd.

It will be hard for Denver to land Cousins if Minnesota want him. The best assets are for them( To sign cousins we need to dump Sanders, Talib and perhaps DT)

Well Cousins confirmed what many suspected - MIN would be the lead if they are interested.  

Like I've said in other threads and here, I have no doubt in Cousins being a 3-4W QB.   I've had doubts that he'd want to come here as the #1 choice.   MIN would be crazy to pass up on pursuing him - they've got 50M+ in cap space, they clear 7M+ more if they release Sharif Floyd, and while Barr/Kendricks/Diggs/Hunter all become UFA's in 2019, Barr already counts 12M+ versus the 2018 cap, so extending those 4 guys likely isn't going to take up their whole budget enough to prevent them from paying 25M+ AAV to Cousins.   

Frankly, they'd be nuts to pass up on this opportunity - Keenum was a great story, but his flaws showed up, and Bridgewater is still 2+ years from having played, and it wasn't like he reached a top 10 ceiling when he was playing, either - so with that type of injury, there is no guarantee he can even be anything but JAG now.

I'd say it's likely we are #2 at worst among destinations if Bortles can't pass his physical, but MIN is a clear #1 now. 

43 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well Cousins confirmed what many suspected - MIN would be the lead if they are interested.  

Like I've said in other threads and here, I have no doubt in Cousins being a 3-4W QB.   I've had doubts that he'd want to come here as the #1 choice.   MIN would be crazy to pass up on pursuing him - they've got 50M+ in cap space, they clear 7M+ more if they release Sharif Floyd, and while Barr/Kendricks/Diggs/Hunter all become UFA's in 2019, Barr already counts 12M+ versus the 2018 cap, so extending those 4 guys likely isn't going to take up their whole budget enough to prevent them from paying 25M+ AAV to Cousins.   

Frankly, they'd be nuts to pass up on this opportunity - Keenum was a great story, but his flaws showed up, and Bridgewater is still 2+ years from having played, and it wasn't like he reached a top 10 ceiling when he was playing, either - so with that type of injury, there is no guarantee he can even be anything but JAG now.

I'd say it's likely we are #2 at worst among destinations if Bortles can't pass his physical, but MIN is a clear #1 now. 

So peter king was right saying keenum will end up in Denver. Gulp

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

So peter king was right saying keenum will end up in Denver. Gulp

Pretty convinced that if we don’t land Cousins, we’ll be taking a Qb at 5.  Whether it’s Case or Tyrod or whoever else comes in as a Vet FA, Elway doesn’t plan on being at 5 again any time soon, and none of the rest of the available QB’s are “franchise” QB’s. So if we do end up with Keenum, it will just be a transition to our 1st round rookie QB of choice 

21 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Pretty convinced that if we don’t land Cousins, we’ll be taking a Qb at 5.  Whether it’s Case or Tyrod or whoever else comes in as a Vet FA, Elway doesn’t plan on being at 5 again any time soon, and none of the rest of the available QB’s are “franchise” QB’s. So if we do end up with Keenum, it will just be a transition to our 1st round rookie QB of choice 

Why even transition unless a crazy developmental guy like Lamar Jackson. 

Schefter reporting that Washington is “considering” tagging Cousins in an attempt to trade him and recoup some of the value from the Smith Deal.  Seems like a hugely risky move, as Cousins can just refuse to sign it, but wouldn’t be the first time the Redskins have done something stupid.  This could get (even more ) interesting!

If the Redskins do that and Denver trades for him, we should all be calling for Elway's firing. That would be mind-blowingly risky for the Skins, but any team who gives up draft capital to them AND pays him 30MM a year or whatever is completely stupid. Unless it's Jax. That's probably the only exception at this point.

On 2/3/2018 at 12:05 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

Losing out on Cousins would be a big blow. But I can't fault him for going to Minnesota, ready made contender, borderline elite coaching staff, excellent facilities and they can afford him without putting themselves in a bad cap situation. 

Plus, he is from that neck of the woods.  

On 2/3/2018 at 12:16 PM, DiehardBronxFan said:

What would be wrong with Keenum?  He only led his team to the NFC Championship game.  While I have been pounding the table to land Cousins...Keenum is the best stop gap you can ever ask for.  You could have Mayfield or Keenum and I don't see an obvious difference other than Keenum is a proven commodity. 

8 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

What would be wrong with Keenum?  He only led his team to the NFC Championship game.  While I have been pounding the table to land Cousins...Keenum is the best stop gap you can ever ask for.  You could have Mayfield or Keenum and I don't see an obvious difference other than Keenum is a proven commodity. 

I like Keenan.  Great stop gap.  But you think he’s the QBOTF for the Broncos?  I don’t. Of all the available Vet QB’s, Cousins is the only one I believe Elway would be willing to count on “long term”.  So if he can’t get Cousins, he,LLC get his stop gap and then get a long term QB in the draft.

Archived