Alex Smith to Washington!

FireVanceJoseph

47 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Paying for Foles would be lunacy, IMO. The Eagles have one of the best OLs and most innovative offenses in the league. If a rookie QB isn't coming into an ideal situation, neither is Foles. At best, he'll be an average QB, at worst, he'll leave us exactly where we're at. I'd rather just draft and develop a young guy than give up draft assets and overpay for someone, personally.

Agree with this 100%. Foles can be a solid QB, but not with us.

Hell of a game he played though man 

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Paying for Foles would be lunacy, IMO. The Eagles have one of the best OLs and most innovative offenses in the league. If a rookie QB isn't coming into an ideal situation, neither is Foles. At best, he'll be an average QB, at worst, he'll leave us exactly where we're at. I'd rather just draft and develop a young guy than give up draft assets and overpay for someone, personally.

I don't think you can draw any equivalence between Foles and a rookie. I doubt if any of the QB's in this draft can play up to Foles current level for at three years. Most of them will never play to that level.

Foles is a solid, young, journeyman. It's a total crapshoot as to whether you'll ever say the same about any QB in this rookie class. As far as how good he can and will be, that depends on the team and coaches around him, the same as every QB in the league.

As far as the "draft and develop" that hasn't worked well for us. It's a great philosophy and really the way to go. Problem is, our development process means start him behind one of the worst OL's in the league day 1 and see how he does. Getting pounded on 7+ times a games doesn't do much for a players development. They turn into a Siemian, and start playing just to survive.

I know what you're saying and would love to be able to draft and develop but I don't see how we can with this team.

16 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think you can draw any equivalence between Foles and a rookie. I doubt if any of the QB's in this draft can play up to Foles current level for at three years. Most of them will never play to that level.

Foles is a solid, young, journeyman. It's a total crapshoot as to whether you'll ever say the same about any QB in this rookie class. As far as how good he can and will be, that depends on the team and coaches around him, the same as every QB in the league.

As far as the "draft and develop" that hasn't worked well for us. It's a great philosophy and really the way to go. Problem is, our development process means start him behind one of the worst OL's in the league day 1 and see how he does. Getting pounded on 7+ times a games doesn't do much for a players development. They turn into a Siemian, and start playing just to survive.

I know what you're saying and would love to be able to draft and develop but I don't see how we can with this team.

I agree with this 100%. 

Taken in a vacuum, draft and develop is the way to go. You can pick out the prospect who brings the traits you and your scheme value, bring him along slowly or bring him along quickly, tailor your offense to fit his skillset and do so for five years at a below-market price. 

Unfortunately, we're not in a position to do that given the makeup of the team, the need for the organization to turn around quickly and the fact that our coaching staff and front office, as currently constructed, have track record of developing a rookie QB. 

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree with this 100%. 

Taken in a vacuum, draft and develop is the way to go. You can pick out the prospect who brings the traits you and your scheme value, bring him along slowly or bring him along quickly, tailor your offense to fit his skillset and do so for five years at a below-market price. 

Unfortunately, we're not in a position to do that given the makeup of the team, the need for the organization to turn around quickly and the fact that our coaching staff and front office, as currently constructed, have track record of developing a rookie QB. 

Good point. As far as I can tell, we don't even know what our scheme is.

I could be wrong, but it just seems to me that we have an awful environment for bringing in a rookie QB and expect any kind of success.

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

As a non-Bronco fan, I think for me it would all come down to cost, and who Elway's favorite quarterback in this draft is. There are some things that make sense about Foles, but I'm not giving up a 2 or something, which is what I think Foles would command, and that may be lowballing it. He's basically like a young Ryan Fitzpatrick at this point to me - he has some of these amazing stretches going on, but when all is said and done, he kind of is who he is and there's a reason he'll probably end up on 7  teams before his career is over. 

But if you could get him for say a 4 and Elway loves Allen, this makes some degree of sense. Allen isn't ready to play. You can develop him for a year behind foles, who's salary is only 5.5 million which is great for the Broncos, and which would allow you to make moves that you were going to make to clear cap and spend decently on the offensive line to improve Foles' chances of succeeding. But again, I think that a 4 is a pipedream...I think the starting conversation point would be a 2, and that's simply too much for me. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

As a non-Bronco fan, I think for me it would all come down to cost, and who Elway's favorite quarterback in this draft is. There are some things that make sense about Foles, but I'm not giving up a 2 or something, which is what I think Foles would command, and that may be lowballing it. He's basically like a young Ryan Fitzpatrick at this point to me - he has some of these amazing stretches going on, but when all is said and done, he kind of is who he is and there's a reason he'll probably end up on 7  teams before his career is over. 

But if you could get him for say a 4 and Elway loves Allen, this makes some degree of sense. Allen isn't ready to play. You can develop him for a year behind foles, who's salary is only 5.5 million which is great for the Broncos, and which would allow you to make moves that you were going to make to clear cap and spend decently on the offensive line to improve Foles' chances of succeeding. But again, I think that a 4 is a pipedream...I think the starting conversation point would be a 2, and that's simply too much for me. 

I agree with this...Foles is streaky!  He just happened to be on one of his good streaks down the stretch...If the Broncos could predict when he would get hot...then go for it....but since you can't...then what do you do?  It is intriguing, but could be your worst night mare too..he could be the Houston's Brock Osweiller...we know that game!

I know that Jackson is out of the first round picture as of now (mistake, but what's new) but if you put him on the Broncos right now....without even upgrading the OL, they immediately have a significantly better offense than they have had since 2014. Just sayin. 

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I know that Jackson is out of the first round picture as of now (mistake, but what's new) but if you put him on the Broncos right now....without even upgrading the OL, they immediately have a significantly better offense than they have had since 2014. Just sayin. 

Imagine Barkley, jackson, an improved oline and a value free agent wr?

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Problem is that it might be a flash in the pan sort of a thing. I don't it would be sustainable success.

6 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Problem is that it might be a flash in the pan sort of a thing. I don't it would be sustainable success.

I think he's the real deal. There would be a transition period and you'd need to coach the hell out of how and when to take hits. But I think Jackson could be a star for a long time in the right situation. 

15 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I think he's the real deal. There would be a transition period and you'd need to coach the hell out of how and when to take hits. But I think Jackson could be a star for a long time in the right situation. 

All I've seen is highlights but the dude is electric.  Build scares me though

Archived