NFL Offseason News

WindyCity

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

@Rogerthat I don't think Pace takes a WR that high... not that I think it should influence his decision as a GM but he would get BLASTED in the Chicago media, and it'll throw a huge spotlight on Kevin White. Just not a good look, IMO.

Pace is going to blasted whatever he does. Happens ever year.  Everyone blasted the Mitch trade.  Calvin Ridley will prove the haters wrong at the combine and show he is one of the special blue chip talents in this draft.  4.35 40 = top 10 pick   

would you pass on a WR group of

Meridith, Landry, Ridley

having ridley take the top off a defense and landry crave up the middle

11 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

Pace is going to blasted whatever he does. Happens ever year.  Everyone blasted the Mitch trade.  Calvin Ridley will prove the haters wrong at the combine and show he is one of the special blue chip talents in this draft.  4.35 40 = top 10 pick   

would you pass on a WR group of

Meridith, Landry, Ridley

having ridley take the top off a defense and landry crave up the middle

It's different circumstances, though.

"Can we trust Pace to draft ANOTHER WR in the top 10"

"Pace spends another top 10 pick on a WR to makeup for bust that is Kevin White"

"Is Calvin Ridley the next Kevin White in Chicago"

etc etc etc

Outside of, IMO, Ridley not being worth a top 10 pick, there would be just such a ****storm in the city that I don't see Pace making that move.

20 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

How does everyone read the tea leaves with the lions hiring matt patricia in regards to Ziggy Ansah ? Does his ego say I can do it with out big time pass rushers ? or does he say I finally have someone better than one play Shea? 

I see them making a huge effort to resign Ansah.  They have the cap space to do so and he is one of the best pass rushers in the league.  I also believe he is very scheme versatile due to his sheer athleticism.  Easy decision for Patricia and I'll be shocked if he hits the open market.

44 minutes ago, G08 said:

It's different circumstances, though.

"Can we trust Pace to draft ANOTHER WR in the top 10"

"Pace spends another top 10 pick on a WR to makeup for bust that is Kevin White"

"Is Calvin Ridley the next Kevin White in Chicago"

etc etc etc

Outside of, IMO, Ridley not being worth a top 10 pick, there would be just such a ****storm in the city that I don't see Pace making that move.

I agree that you can't just avoid drafting a certain position high because you're scared of what happened in the past.  I also agree that Pace will not take a WR in the top-10, maybe if they trade down, but staying pat not likely.

Just throwing this out there FWIW...I recently read a tweet from a Bears blogger with connections to NFL sources who mentioned that he's hearing the WR position won't be as high of a priority for the Bears in FA/draft as people think because the staff thinks highly of some of the guys they currently have on the roster (ie. Meredith, White) and believe they already have guys who can play in this offensive system. 

This is not to say that they won't be adding anybody of note to this group in FA/draft, but for those expecting guys like Landry, Ridley, etc. probably not going to happen so lower your expectations.

Again, this is not what I'm personally thinking, it is what I read so believe what you wish.

14 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Just throwing this out there FWIW...I recently read a tweet from a Bears blogger with connections to NFL sources who mentioned that he's hearing the WR position won't be as high of a priority for the Bears in FA/draft as people think because the staff thinks highly of some of the guys they currently have on the roster (ie. Meredith, White) and believe they already have guys who can play in this offensive system. 

Pace should be more worried about putting his faith in Kevin White again than drafting a WR in the top 10

seriously if Pace thinks Meridith and White are his 1 and 2 WRs going into this year than we will be getting a new GM in 2019.  that would be inexcusable

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

John DeFilippo hired as Vikings OC.

This does not concern me. He will be a head coach in 2019 when the Bears are more prepared to take a run at the Vikings.

My bold prediction is that both Chicago and Cleveland are wildcard teams in 2018.

6 hours ago, Rogerthat said:

seriously if Pace thinks Meridith and White are his 1 and 2 WRs going into this year than we will be getting a new GM in 2019.  that would be inexcusable

Outside of serious legal action looming Pace isn't going to get fired after signing his extension. He could go 2-14 and won't be replaced next year.

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

John DeFilippo hired as Vikings OC.

This does not concern me. He will be a head coach in 2019 when the Bears are more prepared to take a run at the Vikings.

Good point. Just makes me hope they re-sign one of their current QBs to be the starter. I don't want him accelerating a rookie of major talent, even if I feel there is no one who would be a top 2 QB in the last 2 drafts. In fact IO think Darnold would have been the #3 QB in 2016 and the number 4 in 2017. So I am not completely concerned about that either.

Archived