(Poll) Choose 1: Kirk Cousins OR a QB at 1.....

Mind Character

Kirk Cousins will not agree to come to the Browns if we tell him that we will use our 1st or 4th pick on a young QB1.  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Kirk Cousins will not agree to come to the Browns if we tell him that we will use our 1st or 4th pick on a young QB1. So choose: Kirk Cousins OR a QB at 1?

• 1.) Kirk Cousins. I'm putting my money on the 30 year old QB; he's still in his prime and can get us to the playoffs or better. If we surround him with talent, we can make our run deep in the tournament for 4 years. I can't wait for some young guy to get ready...I have to win right now. Cousins can get us to winning right now. That's enough for me. Take a shot later in the draft on young QB and call it a day. Screw the QB class. Go all in on Cousins...he's the one.
    • 2.) QB at 1 (Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield). Cousins is good, but not enough to pass on this draft's crop of QB1s. He's 30-31, and he's not divisional title game/Super bowl type that would justify us passing on younger, cheaper QBs that might have that potential. Plus, we can use the cap space to continue to build at other positions around the young QB1 when he's ready.

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I see a number of problems with Cousins:

1) He is at most a 5 year starter, the #1 overall pick could easily provide us with a 15 year career. I'll take 15 years over 5 every day of the week!!!

2) If Cousins signs with us for far bigger $$$'s than he can get anywhere else, is he in it for the money or is he in  it for winning??? Brady and other NFL QB's often take less pay so their team can retain players and/or sign better FA's. Would Cousins do that, I think not and if he is in it for the money alone, is he going to be a solid leader or just a guy going through the motions trying to avoid injuries rather than make a play???

I think he could prove to be a huge disappointment when all is said and done, because the players in Washington had to wonder, if he was a real leader or just out for himself???

The NFL East was not anywhere near a top conference this last season, yet Washing could not finish with a winning record, WHY!!! Could it just be that Cousins was viewed by his teammates as a selfish player not really interested in winning, but just out for the money and so, do we really want to put all our eggs in his basket. I don't!!! Loooks good on paper, but could end up being a complete waste of effort, then again, it would be a typical Haslam move!!!

I see a number of problems with this.

1. Cousins is "at most" a 5 year starter in your eyes, BUT a #1 QB can "easily" provide us with a 15 year career. So Cousins is only going to play til he is 35, in an era when some of the leagues best QB's are playing into their late 30's now, but our #1 pick can easily last 15 years? IDK the math there is a little suspect.

2. Drew Brees turned down a Saints offer to become the NFL's highest paid player in 2012 because he wanted $5 million more per year than they offered. Brady never had any circumstance where there was any doubt of them wanting him there. The team always got fair offers in a fair timeframe to his agent, which is a big part of why there were never any issues there. Consider this, when he was suspended for deflategate, Craft reworked his contract so that he would lose very little money while he was suspended. Washington had a chance to sign Kirk for 18-19M a year, then decided to franchise him instead, then do it again. They paid him 40+ million over two years when they could have had him for a long-term deal far less than they just signed Smith for. 

-he plays quarterback. he isn't a hitter, or a RB. taking plays off, going through the motions...wow we are reaching today. Anyone who has actually watched Cousins play knows how competitive of a player he is, and how much he hates losing. look up "kirk cousins propane tank", that will show you a little glimpse of his fiery competitiveness when he is upset over a bad play. IF he signs here, it means out of the other teams vying for his services, he felt that we had the most potential to become great. 

Washington had the worst defense in the conference, which played a large part in the problem. Against the Eagles they gave up 30 and 34 points. Against Dallas they gave up 33 and 38 points. The Giants were the only divisional opponent that didn't score a ton of points on them, scoring 10 and 18, which Washington won one of those games. How many teams in the NFL win games when their team gives up 30+ points? In 4 divisional games they gave up an average of 33.75 points a game, but you're blaming the QB? Seems like flawed logic. 

Why did the Giants suck this year? I assume you'll say Eli Manning. However, they had no running game, suspect offensive line play, and they lost arguably their two top receivers early in the season. It's hard to score points if you don't have scorers. Washington let every good offensive skill player they had walk away, and didn't do a good job of replacing them. Doctson has potential if he can stay healthy, but he wasn't there in year 2. Crowder is a good slot receiver but he shouldn't be a primary weapon. Jordan Reed missed the majority of the season. They need playmakers badly. There's a reason the Giants went from being able to score points to being completely stagnant offensively. 

27 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I see a number of problems with this.

1. Cousins is "at most" a 5 year starter in your eyes, BUT a #1 QB can "easily" provide us with a 15 year career. So Cousins is only going to play til he is 35, in an era when some of the leagues best QB's are playing into their late 30's now, but our #1 pick can easily last 15 years? IDK the math there is a little suspect.

To count on Cousins being effective past 5 years is always going to be a huge gamble. few have been successful in doing it. Darnold is 20 when and if we draft him, so in 15 years he would be 35, so I think my math is reasonable.

2. Drew Brees turned down a Saints offer to become the NFL's highest paid player in 2012 because he wanted $5 million more per year than they offered. Brady never had any circumstance where there was any doubt of them wanting him there. The team always got fair offers in a fair timeframe to his agent, which is a big part of why there were never any issues there. Consider this, when he was suspended for deflategate, Craft reworked his contract so that he would lose very little money while he was suspended. Washington had a chance to sign Kirk for 18-19M a year, then decided to franchise him instead, then do it again. They paid him 40+ million over two years when they could have had him for a long-term deal far less than they just signed Smith for. 

Cousins is not Brady or Brees, he has clearly shown a wanton career as a player who demands a top salary no matter what the consequences are to his team, both Brady and Brees have never put their team in a spot where they came first no matter what.

-he plays quarterback. he isn't a hitter, or a RB. taking plays off, going through the motions...wow we are reaching today. Anyone who has actually watched Cousins play knows how competitive of a player he is, and how much he hates losing. look up "kirk cousins propane tank", that will show you a little glimpse of his fiery competitiveness when he is upset over a bad play. IF he signs here, it means out of the other teams vying for his services, he felt that we had the most potential to become great. 

QB's in the NFL have to put in many excess hours to be effective at their position. They can easily just get by if they want to as long as they have a huge guaranteed contract. Let's be real, if he signs with our owner, it is a clear sign he wants money and more money. Winning will not be his priority. 

Washington had the worst defense in the conference, which played a large part in the problem. Against the Eagles they gave up 30 and 34 points. Against Dallas they gave up 33 and 38 points. The Giants were the only divisional opponent that didn't score a ton of points on them, scoring 10 and 18, which Washington won one of those games. How many teams in the NFL win games when their team gives up 30+ points? In 4 divisional games they gave up an average of 33.75 points a game, but you're blaming the QB? Seems like flawed logic. 

Maybe, but do the players consider him a leader or do they simply see that he is out for the money and they play with no real emotion that a leader can generate??? 

Why did the Giants suck this year? I assume you'll say Eli Manning. However, they had no running game, suspect offensive line play, and they lost arguably their two top receivers early in the season. It's hard to score points if you don't have scorers. Washington let every good offensive skill player they had walk away, and didn't do a good job of replacing them. Doctson has potential if he can stay healthy, but he wasn't there in year 2. Crowder is a good slot receiver but he shouldn't be a primary weapon. Jordan Reed missed the majority of the season. They need playmakers badly. There's a reason the Giants went from being able to score points to being completely stagnant offensively. 

Again, Eli is not totally responsible for what the Giants were last year, nevertheless, there is a lot of talk about them replacing him, so I cannot say with any certainty either way.

Excuse the bolding, I am not bolding to make a point, it looks like they have removed the ability to use quotation marks and bolding was the only way to seperate my posting.

7 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Excuse the bolding, I am not bolding to make a point, it looks like they have removed the ability to use quotation marks and bolding was the only way to seperate my posting.

you pointed out Brady and other qb's as taking less, which is why Brady and Brees were the guys I mentioned. It's a skeptical stance because most of them don't take "less", they restructure their deals when their teams need cap space to bring in a player or resign some key players. What did Washington do as a franchise to make that team better that would have encouraged Cousins to take less? His best two offensive weapons at WR, Garcon and Jackson were allowed to walk away. They have done nothing to make him see success there, they offered him less than market value long term but didn't want to invest money in his offensive skill players. I don't blame him at all. If they would have asked him to take whatever their offer was, but sell him by keeping his weapons there, maybe he would have. But that didn't happen. Why take less when your team isn't doing the other things to win games?

12 minutes ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

you pointed out Brady and other qb's as taking less, which is why Brady and Brees were the guys I mentioned. It's a skeptical stance because most of them don't take "less", they restructure their deals when their teams need cap space to bring in a player or resign some key players. What did Washington do as a franchise to make that team better that would have encouraged Cousins to take less? His best two offensive weapons at WR, Garcon and Jackson were allowed to walk away. They have done nothing to make him see success there, they offered him less than market value long term but didn't want to invest money in his offensive skill players. I don't blame him at all. If they would have asked him to take whatever their offer was, but sell him by keeping his weapons there, maybe he would have. But that didn't happen. Why take less when your team isn't doing the other things to win games?

This. Get me Kurk.

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

John Dorsey will be selecting Baker Mayfield number 1 overall, MARK IT DOWN IN STONE...I guarantee it 2000%.... I'd bet the house on it.

Everyone will rationalize the selection, and love it after Darnold's hands are measured to be small at the combine.

Enjoy the rest of the crazy season!.....I've had my fill.

we will see you in a few hours. 

4 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

we will see you in a few hours. 

Haha... nice school district, working class neighborhood, no pool, nice square footage.... I had few too many drinks last night with friends for pre-Super Bowl festivities and when I  got back late I must have been on some weird stuff.

My bad.

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Haha... nice school district, working class neighborhood, no pool, nice square footage.... I had few too many drinks last night with friends for pre-Super Bowl festivities and when I  got back late I must have been on some weird stuff.

My bad.

maxresdefault.jpgI get the feeling this was you last night

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

That could have something to do with the redskins just being not good

Skins would probably have been 19-4 in those games if they had Kizer.  Cousins sucks :D

yeah, I still vote Cousins rather than drafting Qb at 1. 

Sign Cousins, trade 1 to pick 5 or 6, collect another 2nd this year and 1st next (maybe more), and lets get it on.

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

That could have something to do with the redskins just being not good

Actually it confirms to me he just has empty stats. He crumbles when the heat is on. You’d think with these amazing stats and being a top 5 qb that he’d elevate his team to at least a .500 record against good teams? Pass. 

47 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Actually it confirms to me he just has empty stats. He crumbles when the heat is on. You’d think with these amazing stats and being a top 5 qb that he’d elevate his team to at least a .500 record against good teams? Pass. 

I think you need to take a look at some of the redskin teams he has been on, defenses really not that great, running game non existent, his best target to throw to is a TE who is hurt more than Courtney Brown

I have my plan sorted out at this point...I was all over bringing in Alex Smith for the Bridge...but that ship has sailed......now plan B I like even better than plan A....bring in the young hungry Vet in AJ Mccarron  (he was tied for my #3 QB the year, with Manzel, the year he came out, behind Carr and Bridgewater) with a HC and QB coach he know's. IF he becomes a playoff caliber QB, does anyone think we are going to cut him, just because we have two young QB's on the Bench....I dont.....but lets say that dosent happen, I think we get at least Dalton like production from him, so he game manages us to  6-10 and 8-8 season, and we have two young options that have been training for a couple seasons to turn too.....but what IF we have the Ultimate.....McCarron looks above average and gives us Garappolo type numbers......but in the course of the 2 seasons, he has to miss some time for injury, and in the 6 games he misses over the 2 seasons Kizer comes in and looks like the #2 rated QB that came out of his draft class and goes 4-2 as a starter over those games with good numbers.....while he and Darnold BOTH tear it up in the preaseason for 2 years in a row.....all of a sudden we have a Cost Effective Vet with a year left on his deal at a reasonable rate, we have a young QB who slipped to the 2nd round who looks like he should have been the top QB taken in his draft year, and we have a former #1 overall pick who has looked like a Superstar in 2 preaseason's.....All of a sudden MULTIPLE teams are starting bidding wars on Multiple QB's on our roster........Stranger things have happened...

Young Hungry Vet + Talented 2nd year player with RARE physical tools + The top young QB package in a STRONG QB draft......we WILL find our QB of the future out of that mix at WORST IMO.....BEST Case we have 2 Franchise QB and an upper echelon backup on the cheap IMO..

PS: I live in the DMV area...and LITTERALLY have heard this debate since RGIII and Cousins were drafted.....Cousins is NOT WORTH the money he is going to get. I understand overpaying because of the market, and he's a competent QB, cousins is going to get Drew Brees, Rogers type of money...and he CANNOT Cary a team on his back. I think McCarron has the exact same potential as Cousins and he will cost about 15 mil a season vs the 70+ someone is going to pay cousins inthe first two years of his deal.

Archived