Sam Darnold

Aztec Hammer

1 hour ago, dawgpound1816 said:

I'm not trying to make something stick, but if you feel that way...That's cool. 22 TOs. That's as much as Kizer with 2 less games. I don't care about Rosens comments....he sees the same things we all do. 1-31 over 2 years, lack of consistency coaching, shuffle board FO and a fan base losing interest...it's got to be overwhelming to see from the outside. The fact of the matter is. DCs saw something with Darnolds carelessness of protecting the ball. That's scary. He didn't get better protecting the ball in year 2, he got worse. Then looking at him going against tOSU pro style defense....I threw up in my mouth. And I don't even like tOSU. I purely watched to see if he could do anything against a good defense. No. He looked below average. NFL DCs will do the same. 

People have to sell or justify Darnold with his inconsistencies and inadequacies of protecting the ball because they like him. Rose glasses don't work with me. People misinterpret carelessness to he's trying to make something happen.

All in all....Darnold is better than Manziel, Kizer, Kessler and Hogan so he's an upgrade....but not worth the #1 pick imo. 

It would've been nice if there was 1 clear cut Qb that's a pure #1 pick so these convos could be way nicer. Being that it's Browns luck, the clear cut part is out the door. Haha

Yeah you saw tOSU pro style defense go up against USC DII style offensive line. Darnold would never see that big of a talent difference between an opposing DL and his own OL.  Every one of the Dlinemen for tOSU that played will be at least a 2nd rd pick. I cant see anyone on that OL being better than a 4th./5th rd pick, well maybe the freshmen RG develops into something better

Also I feel like you are putting way to much weight on the bowl game, I remember the overreactions of bowl games cost Carr because he looked bad vs USC. 

Also one of the reasons Darnold is so loved isnt what he purely did at USC. Dude has only been a starting QB for what, 3 of 4 years. Played one year in HS  (foot injury costed him his junior year)and 3 years in college (only played 2 seasons). So he has 3 seasons of being a starting QB. So his potential is through the Roof. I like what he could do with Haley and Zamp being his two main coaches.

Rosen and Darnold are both pure #1 type picks. I dont know what you are talking about

7 hours ago, brownie man said:

I"ve never wavered one time

Darnold always been my number 1 QB. I know you all are skeptical of me because of the Kizer pick

but trust Darnold is the best option in this class 

Not skeptical at all. Guessing you’re a 50% baller. Well?

6 hours ago, dawgpound1816 said:

He can throw a good ball, but 22 TOs this year should not be taken lightly. Especially with a great running game as a crutch. I'm not going to throw something through my tv like when Manziel was drafted, but we don't need Kizer 2.0 at #1 imo.

Well good thing the top three aren’t. Guess you can sleep good at night?

3 hours ago, dawgpound1816 said:

I'm not trying to make something stick, but if you feel that way...That's cool. 22 TOs. That's as much as Kizer with 2 less games. I don't care about Rosens comments....he sees the same things we all do. 1-31 over 2 years, lack of consistency coaching, shuffle board FO and a fan base losing interest...it's got to be overwhelming to see from the outside. The fact of the matter is. DCs saw something with Darnolds carelessness of protecting the ball. That's scary. He didn't get better protecting the ball in year 2, he got worse. Then looking at him going against tOSU pro style defense....I threw up in my mouth. And I don't even like tOSU. I purely watched to see if he could do anything against a good defense. No. He looked below average. NFL DCs will do the same. 

As for Chubb, I respect your opinion bro. The biggest attribute he brings is positive consistency. For sure he's not going to blow anybodys dress up with insane measurables, a 4.2 40x and a 40" vert. All he's done is play well against ALL competition. What's hilarious is how their defense rolled all pressure to the opposite side due to his consistency and ability to hold down his side. I don't need to sell Chubb as he's already the best DE in this draft. You show me the tape where Chubb is terrible and a measly mid 1st Rd pick. His side gave up 1 TD in 2 years of 20 yards or more. He even came out and said he missed the tackle on that play. It never happened again.

People have to sell or justify Darnold with his inconsistencies and inadequacies of protecting the ball because they like him. Rose glasses don't work with me. People misinterpret carelessness to he's trying to make something happen.

All in all....Darnold is better than Manziel, Kizer, Kessler and Hogan so he's an upgrade....but not worth the #1 pick imo. 

It would've been nice if there was 1 clear cut Qb that's a pure #1 pick so these convos could be way nicer. Being that it's Browns luck, the clear cut part is out the door. Haha

You must not be able to see accuracy. Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield have it in spades over Kizer. Lift the shades off them Kizer blades. 

16 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

4:10

58 yards in the air, opposite hash, right on the money. He can sling it.

He also throws a mean slant like you say. You see it in every game of his. Zips it right out in front of the receiver for him to catch in perfect stride.

The throw right after that one is the one you need to look at. That’s an elite NFL throw. It’s not big armed, but it’s the complete package of what we haven’t seen since Kosar. I’ll post why later, even though I’ve posted it before. 

22 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

The throw right after that one is the one you need to look at. That’s an elite NFL throw. It’s not big armed, but it’s the complete package of what we haven’t seen since Kosar. I’ll post why later, even though I’ve posted it before. 

Yeah, there’s no defense for a throw like that.

You just smile, tip your cap and play the next play.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah, there’s no defense for a throw like that.

You just smile, tip your cap and play the next play.

Yep and that’s one play of many we’ll get with him on game to game basis. Lets be real right now he’s like a 2nd year apprentice for sheet metal, plumbing, electrical pipe fitter, steelworkers ( don’t want to forget them, I’ve known some sure fire bad arses with them) union. Imagine when he learns more and becomes a journeyman? Man these cutesy thinkers that want us to take the 3rd best qb at 4 and pass on our guy at one need to go back to watching their soaps. 

Either way I’m not going to make it past draft time. Excitement over taking Darnold or the purely stupid gambit of passing on Darnold. 

This remains my biggest Darnold concern. His mental processing often leaves a lot to be desired right now, and it becomes way worse under pressure. I think he's the most "instinctual" passer in the draft as far as ability to make plays outside of structure. And if he becomes as good within structure, he's going to be darn good. But I struggle to be sure that he'll make that jump.

57 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

This remains my biggest Darnold concern. His mental processing often leaves a lot to be desired right now, and it becomes way worse under pressure. I think he's the most "instinctual" passer in the draft as far as ability to make plays outside of structure. And if he becomes as good within structure, he's going to be darn good. But I struggle to be sure that he'll make that jump.

He had problems, especially early on, with trusting his protection. Really it persisted all year but he had got something of a handle on it in the latter half. It was noticeable that he was pressing, and when his o-line broke down constantly, he'd force it and try to make something happen when it really wasn't there. Think the Heisman hype got to him a bit to be honest. It looked like he'd try to make the play on every play.

He has shown the ability to go through multiple reads in the pocket, to look off the safety and drive anticipatory, leading throws on the money.

It's the forcing it and trying to make the big play on every down that he needs to chill out on and learn to harness. Hopefully with time and experience, as well as pro coaching and a more inventive scheme than USCs motion a back out on a swing constantly, he'll develop nicely.

5 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

In this season, we have to remain skeptical of some of these twitter takes and question how accurate they are, but also willing to accept them as fact if the evidence proves them to be true.

This noncontextual stat and incorrect charting is exactly where PFF and these CFB metrics are pretty worthless and mislead perceptions of QB play.

It is true that Darnold is better out of structure than from within, but he's really good within as well. It's absolutely true that Darnold has turnover problems in general though.

There are still questions we have to ask though, and things we have to consider:

1. Are these people qualified to actually assess the tape with traditional scouting methods? Is the charting actually right? Nope.

Darnold had 8 TDs to 6 INTs (TDs-Texas, Standford 1, Standford 2, Arizona St., Arizona, Colorado, Oregon St., Utah) under pressure based on my traditional scout charting the season under pressure according to my personal charting (Lance Zierlein said he had it charted as 10 TDs to 8 INTs). CFB film rooms is actually incorrect as their charting doesn't properly account for throws after evading pressure to clean platform and really they just don't know what they're looking at.

Here's THE LEAST egregious example of missed charting.

2. These misleading stats also misinform perceptions about Sam Darnold under pressure even though he does his best work there when the game is on the line.

Example 1: Down late against Washington ST.

Example 2: Under pressure to close out the game

There are honestly a lot of other and more impressive examples.

The problem with Darnold is TURNOVERS and foot mechanics....not how he responds under pocket, blitz, and/or game situation pressure. In that category, he is the best in the draft based on traditional scouting analysis.

https://twitter.com/Ryan_McCrystal/status/910703822279909376 

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Here's THE LEAST egregious example of missed charting.

Yeah they labeled it when facing pressure so I'd say that means there was pressure at some point. If it had said throwing under pressure that would be different, once you are no longer under pressure you aren't throwing under pressure even if you created that separation from pressure yourself.

I am a very strong Darnold believer, he has it all and unlike Rosen, he has had a much healthier college career, otherwise, I would rate Rosen right here with him.

Darnold has everything you look for in a #1 overall pick, except those fumble #'s and I am willing to bet that it is a correctable problem.

I love Mayfield, but short QB's represent 6% of the starting QB's in the NFL and that makes him a scary prospect and with the #1 overall pick, you want to take the most talented guy with the least question marks and that is Darnold by a mile.

I am almost 100% sure that he will be our pick, no matter what the doubters predict!

Archived