Sam Darnold

Aztec Hammer

A very good, fair and concise analysis of Darnold. Full of strengths and weaknesses as well as placing them in the context of his situation at USC. I like the comp a lot too.

He is more developed in terms of mental processing than the media would have you believe. His issues clearly can be most fundamentally found in his ball security, particularly fumbles and in his consistency with footwork and mechanics.

- 6'3 or 6'4

- 230lbs

- Plus arm

- Plus athlete

- Strong mental game

- Potential to be great in and out of the pocket

- Clutch

11 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

And then I found five dollars.

Isn't 6 sacks in 366 pass attempts beyond an unreal amount? I had to check a second source when I saw that. It's unreal, especially for a first year starter at a Div 1 school.

Sweet so did you take your wife to McDonald’s all high on the hog?xD

So basically you’re telling me how impressive it was for Darnold to have the year he had this year?  Started off really slow, adjusted and went on to have a good year. 

3 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

A very good, fair and concise analysis of Darnold. Full of strengths and weaknesses as well as placing them in the context of his situation at USC. I like the comp a lot too.

He is more developed in terms of mental processing than the media would have you believe. His issues clearly can be most fundamentally found in his ball security, particularly fumbles and in his consistency with footwork and mechanics.

- 6'3 or 6'4

- 230lbs

- Plus arm

- Plus athlete

- Strong mental game

- Potential to be great in and out of the pocket

- Clutch

Yeah I don’t understand where the idea he isn’t good at mental processing comes from. I feel it’s one of his strengths. You don’t do what he did against a superior defense in Ohio State like he did without the ability to quickly process the field and throw dimes like he did. He got fooled badly the one time, but even the great ones are fooled from time to time. 

26 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Sweet so did you take your wife to McDonald’s all high on the hog?xD

So basically you’re telling me how impressive it was for Darnold to have the year he had this year?  Started off really slow, adjusted and went on to have a good year. 

No, we bought a small rock.

No, I'm saying he wasn't sacked often the previous year. Of course he had a good year last year he is a good QB. It was disappointing though, not saying it was all his fault but 31 TD and 24 turnovers isn't what was expected by the position going into the season.

27 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yeah I don’t understand where the idea he isn’t good at mental processing comes from. I feel it’s one of his strengths. You don’t do what he did against a superior defense in Ohio State like he did without the ability to quickly process the field and throw dimes like he did. He got fooled badly the one time, but even the great ones are fooled from time to time. 

It comes from the media needing to find a contrast between the two Southern California QBs. It's more interesting to the casual if you can sell the narrative of the two California kids; the pro-ready, entitled golden child vs the raw kid that loves the game but is doing it all by instinct.

Never mind that Darnold does a better job of going through reads and not staying locked to his first target like Rosen does.

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Another thing about the video that I'm glad they noted: his WRs looked like they were auditioning for clown college. His O-line was wet paper at best. Yet he still found ways to improvise and either make a throw or scramble for a first. But he does need to work on throwing motion, technique, and ball security. He is still my #1 player in this draft. Good thing we have the #1 overall. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

No, we bought a small rock.

No, I'm saying he wasn't sacked often the previous year. Of course he had a good year last year he is a good QB. It was disappointing though, not saying it was all his fault but 31 TD and 24 turnovers isn't what was expected by the position going into the season.

I think you answered your own question, bad oline plus losing playmakers can lead to more turnovers. I also believe he was adjusting to defenses that were game planning for him. He got better as the season progressed. 

22 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I think you answered your own question, bad oline plus losing playmakers can lead to more turnovers. I also believe he was adjusting to defenses that were game planning for him. He got better as the season progressed. 

Yeah that probably helped Jones to be the 8th leading rusher in college last year. Defenses had to pick their poison.

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

It comes from the media needing to find a contrast between the two Southern California QBs. It's more interesting to the casual if you can sell the narrative of the two California kids; the pro-ready, entitled golden child vs the raw kid that loves the game but is doing it all by instinct.

Never mind that Darnold does a better job of going through reads and not staying locked to his first target like Rosen does.

Just because you like a prospect doesn't mean you can shout "media creation!" at his weaknesses. His problem isn't "mental processing" as in going through reads. It's "mental processing" as in figuring out what the defense is going to do based on the pre-snap and not getting too confident in his ability. Most of his INTs are where the defense baits him (the OSU picks) or where he's just overconfident with his abilities. Both probably improve with further coaching and experience. But that doesn't mean they weren't issues.

At this point I'm just ready to check out of the QB convo because everyone has picked their guy and seem to be ignoring/minimizing their guy's weaknesses while either blowing up or making up weaknesses for the others. Rosen doesn't go through progressions but RPO Darnold does them wonderfully. Jeez. 

We have three great QB prospects! It's a blessing! Stop feeling like you have to poop on others needlessly to support the one you like best! There are lots of right answers this year! Rejoice! (That's a PSA to the whole forum, not you specifically)

50 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

At this point I'm just ready to check out of the QB convo because everyone has picked their guy and seem to be ignoring/minimizing their guy's weaknesses while either blowing up or making up weaknesses for the others. Rosen doesn't go through progressions but RPO Darnold does them wonderfully. Jeez. 

We have three great QB prospects! It's a blessing! Stop feeling like you have to poop on others needlessly to support the one you like best! There are lots of right answers this year! Rejoice! (That's a PSA to the whole forum, not you specifically)

Man I think we are all culpable of this a little bit in that case. You had Darnold's hand size being an issue in the other thread!

But I'll take it on board and will try to cut down on calling out the other QB prospects if it comes across like that. I don't intend it to: I do just genuinely think for example that Rosen gets locked onto his first read too much, or that Mayfield's second half vs Georgia really worried me etc. And also that Darnold gets overconfident and forces something that he shouldn't have that didn't align with seeing the coverage correctly!

Archived