Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

Former Minnesota Vikings quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson is playing ‘the Kyle Sloter role’ this season in the USFL, guiding the New Orleans Breakers to a 4-0 record out of the gate in 2023. Ironically, the Breakers were led by the aforementioned Sloter in 2022, when he tore up the USFL as well. But now Sloter is a backup quarterback for the Birmingham Stallions.

After his release in 2013, Bethel-Thompson bounced around to the San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots before landing back with the Vikings in September 2014. He lived on the team’s practice squad for a couple of weeks and was released for good in October 2014.

Bethel-Thompson would latch onto the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL, becoming a total stud north of the border. The Argonauts won two Grey Cups — the CFL Super Bowl — with him on the roster. After six seasons in the CFL, the Sacramento State alumnus tried on the USFL for size, and through four games, he leads the league in passing yards with 1,116 and 6 touchdown passes.

The Breakers are coached by a name familiar to Vikings fans — John DeFilippo. The Vikings hired DeFilippo as offensive coordinator in 2018, a relationship that lasted about seven months.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/vikings-qb-tearing-up?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 2

Kapp holds the distinction of being the only quarterback to ever lead his team to the Rose Bowl, Super Bowl and Grey Cup.

An All-American at Cal, Kapp began his professional football career in Canada, playing eight seasons in the CFL with Calgary and British Columbia. He took the B.C. Lions to a pair of Grey Cup games before joining the Minnesota Vikings in 1967 and reaching the Super Bowl two years later. However, the Vikings lost to the Kansas City Chiefs 23-7 in Super Bowl 4.

His NFL career ended after one final season with the Boston Patriots in 1970.

After a 12-year career in the CFL and NFL, Joe Kapp returned to his alma mater and coached the Cal Bears for five seasons from 1982-86.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/05/09/joe-kapp-vikings-quarterback-cal-football-coach-dies-at-85/70198311007/

After dabbling in Hollywood as an actor and producer − his credits included "The Longest Yard" and "The Six Million Dollar Man" in 1974 and "Over the Edge" in 1979 − Kapp returned to his alma mater as head coach in 1982, despite no previous coaching experience.

• Like 1

ex Viking WR Nate Burleson interviewed ex President Obama for CBS. whether you like or hate or don't care about the ex Prez, it certainly is a testament to Burleson's career, and ability to adapt to a new one and be recognized.

no politics, please, it just isn't necessary. this post is about Nate.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

I watch CBS Mornings and he has certainly grown in the anchor/host role.  He is really smart, empathetic and insightful. 

I've never really watched GMA (as I watch CBS as well) so take it with a grain of salt, but I'd have to think Nate has the ability to be a more serious interviewer than Strahan.  I agree about Nate's empathetic nature, it's pretty strong.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On Sunday, the Vikings hosted a memorial for legendary head coach Bud Grant at U.S. Bank Stadium with various people sharing their memories of him. Grant died March 11 at the age of 95.

One of the more special moments of the memorial was U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar presenting Bud’s son Mike Grant with a plaque of the congressional record honoring his achievements with the Vikings.

The quote of the day came from Mike Grant as Klobuchar presented the certificate: “My dad would have looked at this and said, ‘How much could I get at the garage sale for it?'”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/21/minnesota-vikings-us-senate-bud-grant-amy-klobuchar/

SI.com’s Albert Breer visited the Vikings headquarters in Eagan this week and revealed that the late Bud Grant gifted a tie to O’Connell before his passing — the one he wore at his Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Breer: “Spent some time with the Vikings today, and man this is the coolest thing —before he passed, legendary coach Bud Grant gifted the tie he wore for his Pro Football Hall of Fame induction to current coach Kevin O’Connell.”

O’Connell:  “Although I didn’t know Bud personally long, it was one of the more impactful relationships that I’ve had over the past year since being blessed to become the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings. I like to pride myself on trying to attempt to have that sort of authenticity, that sort humility every day leading an organization like Bud Grant did at the highest levels for so long."

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/coolest-vikings-story