Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I doubt it’s what Hopkins is looking for, but the Packers should beating the door down for him. 

The Green Bay Packers have the youngest group of pass-catchers in football and could probably use a veteran presence at wide receiver, but too many factors are working against Brian Gutekunst’s team in a hypothetical chase of Hopkins.

For starters, Hopkins wants to play on a contender. The Packers went 8-9 last season, missed the playoffs and are now transitioning at quarterback and several other positions, including receiver. The roster is talented but also young and inexperienced. The Packers aren’t even considered a favorite to win the NFC North, in large part due to trading Aaron Rodgers and going young at several roster spots.

If it can be safely assumed that the Packers don’t have the contending status or proven quarterback necessary to lure Hopkins, the only other asset to discuss is money, and the Packers are a cap-strapped team without many options for opening up salary cap space. This is a franchise looking to become financially healthy in the near future, and acquiring Hopkins would likely require a significant short-term investment, both in terms of guaranteed money and cap space.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/26/why-packers-are-so-unlikely-to-sign-wr-deandre-hopkins/

I doubt he even makes their final roster.

In other news: (he must still be broke)

Adrian Peterson not retiring in 2023, hopes to play one more year: 'Mentally, I haven't officially hung it up'

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/adrian-peterson-not-retiring-in-2023-hopes-to-play-one-more-year-mentally-i-havent-officially-hung-it-up/amp/

Edited by SteelKing728

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I doubt he even makes their final roster.

In other news: (he must still be broke)

Adrian Peterson not retiring in 2023, hopes to play one more year: 'Mentally, I haven't officially hung it up'

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/adrian-peterson-not-retiring-in-2023-hopes-to-play-one-more-year-mentally-i-havent-officially-hung-it-up/amp/

Of course he is, with that much child support to pay, he isn't going to officially "retire", although the NFL already has done it for him.  If he wanted to show that he can still play, he should have signed with a USFL team. 

• Like 1

Former UND football standout Jim Kleinsasser was included on the 2024 College Football Hall of Fame ballot, which was announced by the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame on Monday. Kleinsasser was one of 78 players on the ballot.

Kleinsasser played tight end at UND from 1995-98. He was voted a First Team All-American by three publications in 1998 and was a first-team member by two publications in 1997. He remains the highest-drafted UND player to be selected in the NFL Draft.

In his UND career, Kleinsasser caught 88 balls for 1,309 yards and had 10 receiving touchdowns. He led the then-Fighting Sioux to a 32-10 mark and 28-8 record in the North Central Conference.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/unds-jim-kleinsasser-lands-on-ballot-for-college-football-hall-of-fame?fbclid=IwAR1MHn-k3HL742WaCfpp4O7VtmEshiblHnWWryIzFIqWxIeFDcHo41zMDK0

@wcblack34

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Former UND football standout Jim Kleinsasser was included on the 2024 College Football Hall of Fame ballot, which was announced by the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame on Monday. Kleinsasser was one of 78 players on the ballot.

Kleinsasser played tight end at UND from 1995-98. He was voted a First Team All-American by three publications in 1998 and was a first-team member by two publications in 1997. He remains the highest-drafted UND player to be selected in the NFL Draft.

In his UND career, Kleinsasser caught 88 balls for 1,309 yards and had 10 receiving touchdowns. He led the then-Fighting Sioux to a 32-10 mark and 28-8 record in the North Central Conference.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/unds-jim-kleinsasser-lands-on-ballot-for-college-football-hall-of-fame?fbclid=IwAR1MHn-k3HL742WaCfpp4O7VtmEshiblHnWWryIzFIqWxIeFDcHo41zMDK0

@wcblack34

An absolute beast. Absolutely loved watching him play. He won't get into the Hall, but it's awesome that he was nominated.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Is Kleinsaucer the last great true H-Back?

You don't really see too many anymore. Even Juszczyk is a dedicated FB.

I'm not sure I really ever knew what an "H-back" really is anyway.  I always just viewed Kleinsasser simply as a blocking TE...although he probably should have been thrown the ball more because he actually had pretty good hands. 

For the record, Wikipedia says that Charles Clay (who played as recently as 2019) was a H-back. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1