Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Former Vikings defensive lineman Jim Marshall is a semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's class of 2024.

vikings.com

I hope he gets in this go-around since he's 85 yrs old, but I'm not counting on it. 

• Like 2

Marshall and Tarkenton were my favorite childhood Viking players, really enjoyed both of them.

Marshall was in some ways an early version of Jared Allen on the field. strong, as all DE's were at that time, but surprisingly quick, which he used to his advantage. a real student of his craft.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Marshall and Tarkenton were my favorite childhood Viking players, really enjoyed both of them.

Marshall was in some ways an early version of Jared Allen on the field. strong, as all DE's were at that time, but surprisingly quick, which he used to his advantage. a real student of his craft.

I feel like the wrong way run has played an oversized role in his HOF candidacy. Which is absolutely stupid. He was every bit as important and talented as Alan Page and Carl Eller. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

He was every bit as important and talented as Alan Page and Carl Eller. 

Bud Grant certainly thought so too.

and even though he ran the ball back the wrong way and into the wrong endzone (which wasn't a td until he spiked the ball and it went out of bounds) we still won that game, so who cares?

Edited by vike daddy

22 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I feel like the wrong way run has played an oversized role in his HOF candidacy. Which is absolutely stupid. He was every bit as important and talented as Alan Page and Carl Eller. 

I've been thinking this for years.  Really, outside of diehard Vikings fans of a certain age, the wrong way run is the only thing people tend to remember about Marshall.  However, he was a valued, talented, and consistently productive member of the greatest Viking teams.  He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Edited by Captain Relax
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

That’s really to bad. I follow him on instagram and he seemed to be doing very well (although that’s obviously not “real” life). He appears to have a beautiful and loving family.

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 1

The Lions hosted veteran quarterback Teddy Bridgewater on a free agent visit Monday, according to the NFL’s transactions wire.

In April, a report indicated the Lions had a “strong offer” for Bridgewater on the table. If Bridgewater signs with Detroit, it would mean a reunion with head coach Dan Campbell, who was the Saints’ tight ends coach/assistant head coach in 2018-19 when Bridgewater was in New Orleans.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/teddy-bridgewater-visits-lions

Talk about someone who has put forth a productive career...his career has lasted longer than the guy that was drafted in the first round by the Vikings that year (Trae Waynes).  Although you may not know him as well as the other guy took by the Vikings in the 5th round in 2015. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3