This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

9 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

lol yes. Although it probably will eventually like it did for the Lions to a certain extent. Doubt it will be under their current leadership though. 

I dunno, this Bears team has been failing upward pretty efficiently after railroading a desperate owner for what will probably go down as one of the worst trades in football history.

19 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

If CHI is actually considering WR at #9, I could see them trading back since they don't pick again until RD3 (75).  If they traded back to something like pick 20, they'd still have access to several excellent WR prospects, and should have added at least an RD2 pick in the process.  If I was a (barf) Bears fan, that's what I would be hoping for.

Looking at their WR depth chart, I don't think it is hopeless.  Moore and Mooney are both good and still just 26 years old.  Velus Jones is probably a bust at this point, but he is at least fast, and at the very least could pull coverage deep.  They really need a "big" WR, as they have EQ and Collin Johnson for that role, neither of which played half the season, nor eclipsed 100 yards in total.  

I think I would trade down from pick 9 just a little to get more ammo, then jump on my favorite "big" WR when the time was right.  The Bears should be able to drop 5-10 spots and still get a good OL.  Then they can hop back in at around 40 and grab Keon Coleman or something.

A haul of:  Caleb Williams, Taliese Fuaga, and Xavier Lagette would be pretty good, and even possible with no trade down.

I think they can make that WR room work.  I also think it automatically looks better if their QB choice clears the low bar of Justin Fields.

On 3/3/2024 at 2:40 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

I expect part of the trade compensation for Justin Fields will involve recouping a 2nd round pick.  But there's a real chance the Bears will just take Verse or Turner at 9 to have bookend pass rushers, since those are harder to find than wide receivers.

I'm struggling to see any team willing to give up a SRP outright for Justin Fields.  I get that's what Sam Darnold fetched and he was largely viewed as a bust.  I have to imagine that if the Bears want a SRP, they're going to be kicking back a pick to whoever is trading for him especially if it's a team picking in the earlier part of the second round.  I could see Fields and a 4th to Atlanta for their SRP plus a conditional pick in 2025 that could go as high as a SRP but likely conveying as a 3rd or 4th.

On 3/3/2024 at 4:03 PM, VonKarman said:

He's traded a #32 pick for a WR and he's asked for a WR in return for a 1.1 pick. If anything, we have proof that he'll invest in WR.

And what do those both have in common?  They both involved veteran WRs.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I could see Fields and a 4th to Atlanta for their SRP plus a conditional pick in 2025 that could go as high as a SRP but likely conveying as a 3rd or 4th.

I really think ATL is gonna make a big push for Cousins. I think his wife is from that area, and I have heard a few rumors here in MN that she is wanting to head back closer to her hometown.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tperk said:

I really think ATL is gonna make a big push for Cousins. I think his wife is from that area, and I have heard a few rumors here in MN that she is wanting to head back closer to her hometown.

Call me crazy, but the whole Kirk Cousins-to-Atlanta smells like a smokescreen to get Chicago to lower their price tag.  First off, players aren't able to negotiate with teams, so while he might want to go there they'd still have to work out the numbers.  Secondly, given the age of their core (Bijan, London, Pitts, etc.), it would seem like an odd choice to bring in a QB for 3-4 years and have to to start again when their core is entering their prime.  It'd make more sense for them to find someone who can develop with them.  And as much as I think the Falcons with Kirk Cousins and a halfway decent defense is probably a playoff team, does that get Kirk Cousins close enough as a championship contender?

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Call me crazy, but the whole Kirk Cousins-to-Atlanta smells like a smokescreen to get Chicago to lower their price tag.  First off, players aren't able to negotiate with teams, so while he might want to go there they'd still have to work out the numbers.  Secondly, given the age of their core (Bijan, London, Pitts, etc.), it would seem like an odd choice to bring in a QB for 3-4 years and have to to start again when their core is entering their prime.  It'd make more sense for them to find someone who can develop with them.  And as much as I think the Falcons with Kirk Cousins and a halfway decent defense is probably a playoff team, does that get Kirk Cousins close enough as a championship contender?

They could do something crazy like draft a QB in the 1st round and let him sit for 3 years while he learns from the established veteran quarterback. But who would do a thing like that?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And what do those both have in common?  They both involved veteran WRs.

You used his 2nd round picks to say he won’t draft a WR in round 1.

They very well could take a EDGE rusher or other defender  , but to be shocked if they selected Rome is pretty misguided. If I had odds, I’d gladly take that bet .

On 3/6/2024 at 7:07 PM, CWood21 said:

If ATL doesn't bring Cousins closer to a championship, then who would?  If Cousins leaves MIN, ATL is probably as good a choice as any among teams looking for a QB.  I also think the ATL owner is looking to win now rather than later.