This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9lYdZFpfy8

Above is every pass play from McCarthy.  He threw two very nice deep passes that hit the receiver in stride.  He also stood in the pocket and took a big hit to deliver a very good pass as well.  Wasn't as good throwing more contested passes.  He needs to get down, or out of bounds on that run toward the end on third and long, rather than take the hit, that seems like a young QB thing though.

Way too early to crown him.  But also nothing to say that he was bad.

Living in northwestern Wisconsin where we are constantly bombarded with Minnesota "stuff", every bit of me drips anti Viking.  Anything that enables this team to flounder and struggle makes my day.  Will be watching with interest how things progress with McCarthy and their defense this year.   

The Detroit Lions had several players suffer injuries during Monday's training camp practice, both starting cornerbacks and their starting running back. First- and second-round picks Terrion Arnold (upper body) and Ennis Rakestraw Jr. (ankle) left the evening session. Running back Jahmyr Gibbs also exited early with a hamstring injury, according to ESPN. 

Some meaningful names getting dinged in DET.

54 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

In game injuries are one thing, but if practice injuries keep piling up the coach needs to look at how they are practicing. It could be coincidental but no secret that Campbell pushes these guys to go at it in practice. Anyway, teams have to get better in camp but getting into the regular season healthy has to be the number one goal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Living in northwestern Wisconsin where we are constantly bombarded with Minnesota "stuff", every bit of me drips anti Viking.  Anything that enables this team to flounder and struggle makes my day.  Will be watching with interest how things progress with McCarthy and their defense this year.   

By all means, hate away.  I am just trying to point us in the correct direction for hate.  It hurts more when we say that their QB sucks, when he actually sucks.  It was a sample size of like three, but McCarthy seems to have very good touch on his deep ball.  Another small sample size says that he either lacks the zip or accuracy to throw into tight windows, as evidenced by the INT and pbus on more contested catches.  IMO, so far, McCarthy sucks because of the hat he is wearing, not his play on the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Is this the same leg that Rakestraw had problems with in the draft lead-up? Or was that a groin injury? I am obviously biased, but I really like Rakestraw.  He plays like Jaire.  The only problem is, Jaire is seen as a bit slight and fragile, Rakestraw is 10 pounds lighter and one inch taller.  Injuries affected his running times in workouts, but he is also not as fast as Jaire.  

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Is this the same leg that Rakestraw had problems with in the draft lead-up? Or was that a groin injury? I am obviously biased, but I really like Rakestraw.  He plays like Jaire.  The only problem is, Jaire is seen as a bit slight and fragile, Rakestraw is 10 pounds lighter and one inch taller.  Injuries affected his running times in workouts, but he is also not as fast as Jaire.  

Not too many really skinny CBs have long careers that I can remember. My memory could be very wrong on this as well. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I want to win the division and beat the Lions with everybody healthy. 

I want the easiest path to the Superbowl possible. I will never root for injuries but frankly if we play no one but #2 QBs all year I would be happier then hell. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not too many really skinny CBs have long careers that I can remember. My memory could be very wrong on this as well. 

Even Deion was 195.  Darrell Green and Dre Bly were in the 180s, but both of them were also very fast.  Rakestraw doesn't have those kind of wheels.  

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Even Deion was 195.  Darrell Green and Dre Bly were in the 180s, but both of them were also very fast.  Rakestraw doesn't have those kind of wheels.  

Darrell Green was also 5'8 so that is not skinny, especially in the era he played. Heck 180 lbs was probably the average weight of a CB then. 

Was Dre Bly good? I remember him but don't remember him being that good. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I want the easiest path to the Superbowl possible. I will never root for injuries but frankly if we play no one but #2 QBs all year I would be happier then hell. 

Well, they are all #2 quarterbacks compared to Love so, wish granted. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Darrell Green was also 5'8 so that is not skinny, especially in the era he played. Heck 180 lbs was probably the average weight of a CB then. 

Was Dre Bly good? I remember him but don't remember him being that good. 

Dre Bly was good.  I don't know that he was great.  He played 11 seasons and had 2 Pro-Bowl nods in 03 and 04 for the Lions.  He is tied for 63rd all time in INTs. 

He was also mostly good but would get cooked from time to time.  Remember the Greg Jennings "boo" gif? That was Dre Bly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Darrell Green was also only 5'8" so that's a reasonably stout guy, vs someone who's 6'2" and 190. 

EAGAN, Minn. -- The status of J.J. McCarthy is in question after tests revealed the Minnesota Vikings rookie quarterback has a tear in the meniscus of his right knee, with a final determination to be made once he undergoes surgery this week.

4 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

EAGAN, Minn. -- The status of J.J. McCarthy is in question after tests revealed the Minnesota Vikings rookie quarterback has a tear in the meniscus of his right knee, with a final determination to be made once he undergoes surgery this week.

Damn. Meniscus better than anything that ends with an L but last thing you want is to derail your top pick QB’s development. If MIN falters at all, and they will, they would be smart to just trot out their young developing players, move any expiring veterans for what they can get and attack this rebuild next year.