Malcolm Butler situation

GSUeagles14

what does everyone make of what the Pats did with Butler today? He was supposedly the reason they couldnt keep collins or jones as they had to keep money free to resign him. Now when youre playing for the super bowl you bench one of your better defensive players that played 98% of snaps all year and dont even attempt to give a plausible reason? Bizarre...

They gave up on me. F—. It is what it is,” Butler Mike Reiss of ESPN.com. “I don’t know what it was. I guess I wasn’t playing good or they didn’t feel comfortable. I don’t know. But I could have changed that game.”

Excuses are going to be made, but Butler did not "suck," he was not "living off one interception."  He graded out as average to above averaage this year and above average last year, probably average to above average the year before.  He does not "suck now." 

To take out any average corner in the Super Bowl when he's healthy and has played all year is questionable for sure, and it wasn't because he "sucks now." 

Just now, everlong said:

People don't realize that Butler sucks now and lives off of that one interception.

He was good in 2015 and 2016. Thing with Butler is he's pure raw hustle and athleticism. He's a player to me that just screams "this guy will fall apart without a good coach spoon feeding everything to him". Always will be a hero in New England, but he looked like he could be a legit number one corner for years to come. They probably feel justified signing Gilmore now.

2 minutes ago, everlong said:

People don't realize that Butler sucks now and lives off of that one interception.

yea, hes not worse than the no name guys they had playing. Reread your answer and tell me how it makes sense. They decided a guy they had playing 98% of the snaps on the year wasnt good enough for the sb?

Just now, lancerman said:

He was good in 2015 and 2016. Thing with Butler is he's pure raw hustle and athleticism. He's a player to me that just screams "this guy will fall apart without a good coach spoon feeding everything to him". Always will be a hero in New England, but he looked like he could be a legit number one corner for years to come. They probably feel justified signing Gilmore now.

True, but that was then this is now.

Just now, everlong said:

True, but that was then this is now.

He graded at 79 according to PFF.  That's average in the NFL.  You can't say he sucks when he graded out as average unless you don't know the meaning of the word average.  He was an average CB, he was benched for the Super Bowl, he was, according to him, healthy, and they didn't play him.  According to Butler, "They gave up" on him.  You can't use that explanation.  It's proven false.  Something else happened.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He graded at 79 according to PFF.  That's average in the NFL.  You can't say he sucks when he graded out as average unless you don't know the meaning of the word average.  He was an average CB, he was benched for the Super Bowl, he was, according to him, healthy, and they didn't play him.  According to Butler, "They gave up" on him.  You can't use that explanation.  It's proven false.  Something else happened.

No offense to PFF but I'll trust Bill Belichick's judgement over their grades

Archived