NFL Combine Invite List

Da_Ducktator

QB - Biggest exclusion to most will probably be Nick Stevens. Every QB I had with a draftable grade is included and Stevens is the highest rated FBS guy I have that was not invited. Brandon Silvers being left out of the Combine after a Senior Bowl invite should go to show that Mobile doesn't necessarily always take in the best of the best.

RB - Happy some underrated guys like Justin Crawford, Kyle Hicks, Demario Richard, and Jordan Wilkins. Biggest guy missing is probably Jeffrey Wilson of North Texas IMO, who I had read before had an invite so not sure what that is about. EDIT: Didn't realize the RB page had a 2nd page. Wilson is among the group. Biggest miss for me then is Ito Smith or Jamal Morrow, but neither I am crazy on.

WR - It will be nice to see guys like Callaway, Carrington, and Pringle included despite previous off-field concerns (the NFL including and excluding guys based on previous off-field stuff gets more and more confusing each year). Really happy to see Jester Weah as well. Had a good week at the EWS practices and should test well. Overall, really solid class but disappointed to see Justin Watson and Daurice Fountain left off. I have both as solid 4th rounders who could get a bump into top 100 with good testing. Hopefully each get a chance to compete at a bigger Pro Day also.

TE - No Adam Breneman shocks me. This is a deep TE class and all but (only three of the names invited I don't have a draftable grade on but are PFA's) while Breneman, Garrett Dickerson, and Deon Yelder are missing among guys I have as late draftable options.

OL - Obviously a tougher group to poor through because of multiple positions listed in one grouping. Quick glance; biggest surprise inclusion - FSU RT Rick Leonard. Biggest surprise exclusion - Darius James or Maea Teuhema (even then, borderline draftable guys so great job by the league).

DL - Another great job top to bottom it seems. I cannot spot a single guy I have with a draftable grade missing. They even got John Franklin-Myers of Stephen F. Austin. Bucknell DT Abdullah Anderson and Ferris State DE Zach Sieler are not horrible names for them to have missed.

LB - Interesting note here is that guys like Kemoko Turay and Hercules Mata'afa (two of my favorite 2nd round types) are listed as OLB. Devante Downs is my only guy with a hard draftable grade that is missing.

CB - Jordan Thomas got benched at a point this year for Oklahoma so honestly, a bit unfortunate to see him. Arkansas' Henre' Toliver is probably my fav of the group that isn't getting much pub (along with Tulane's Parry Nickerson). Minkah listed in their grouping is interesting. Biggest miss is deep in this group for me; Oregon's Arrion Springs.

S - Siran Neal listed with this group (versatile chess piece who could play a variety of secondary roles). Solid list but Trayvon Henderson missing is unfortunate. Would have liked to see Secdrick Cooper as well.

I am pretty sure that a prospect needs I believe, 2 teams to request his presence to be invited. It might be 3 teams, I am not completely sure, so if a prospect is missing, it is because not enough teams requested his presence. Sometimes, it is an attempt by teams to hide a prospect they love who isn't well know and often, it is because he does not have the talent to warrant an invite.

3 hours ago, Classic said:

What is J.T Barrett doing anywhere near a combine? Is he going to convert to WR like his predecessor Miller?

Nowhere near fast enough to move to WR. He's going to follow in the footsteps of Virginia Tech QB Jerod Evans and be a "surprising" (to casuals) undrafted, unsigned guy. He's dookie.

Brenemen being left out sucks.  He got hurt early in Senior Week too.  Needed the Combine medical check to really get a look at those knees.  Still got his pro day to see his numbers.  Not going to test off the charts but he moves fluidly and catches everything.  His blocking isn't the best so he's probably getting docked for that along with his injury history.

Martez Carter, Ito Smith, Jordan Chunn, Phillip Lindsay have a case at rb.

Fountain and Watson are mild surprises at wideout.

Poona Ford as well.

Frank Ginda and Joel Lanning at lb.  Would've liked to see Lanning in drills.

1 hour ago, Groink said:

Brenemen being left out sucks.  He got hurt early in Senior Week too.  Needed the Combine medical check to really get a look at those knees.  Still got his pro day to see his numbers.  Not going to test off the charts but he moves fluidly and catches everything.  His blocking isn't the best so he's probably getting docked for that along with his injury history.

Poona Ford as well.

A bit surprised at these as well.

2 hours ago, Groink said:

Poona Ford as well.

Poona Ford did not get in?  that is insane...  I think he is as worst a 3rd round pick if not for sure 2nd rounder with his power and ability to hold the point and gain some penetration at times on the inside.  

Lanning not getting in does not makes sense either, especially with how great he played this year as a two way played at times, shows tons of potential as a ILB with a lot of upside.  He will get drafted despite not being invited to the combine.  

Odd Donnie Ernsberger is listed at RB, I think he is a TE all the way, unless people think of him as a HB/FB type which might happen.  Curious Jaylen Samuels is as a TE as well, most likely he will be a third down RB in the NFL or slot WR.  Jordan Thomas on Miss State is awesome getting in, great to see such a large 6-6 280 TE get a chance despite not having a great year, athletically he is well worth a look at the next level and did flash enough I thought this past year.  

Outside of Ford and Lanning, Jalen Davis and Deatrick Nichols are two huge misses to be at the combine I think.  Especially Jalen Davis who is a nice pure cover corner, good solid tackler and could be a great slot corner as well, and Nichols could play nickle or FS potentially and is a fine playmaker.  

6 hours ago, Classic said:

What is J.T Barrett doing anywhere near a combine? Is he going to convert to WR like his predecessor Miller?

Ummm he is no where near that good of an athlete, and Miller at least was proven and made that switch before the NFL.  Barrett will get a shot at QB in the league because of his "leadership" or supposed leadership abilities, has a decent arm but most likely will not be in the NFL long and again doubt he is a good enough athlete to play WR.  He has so much injury history and honestly I do not feel he is that great of overall athlete anyway.  Just look at this legs with those pads on, surprised he was as effective as he was running the ball from his QB spot late in his career with how much he has been hurt and played injured.    

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Poona Ford did not get in?  that is insane...  I think he is as worst a 3rd round pick if not for sure 2nd rounder with his power and ability to hold the point and gain some penetration at times on the inside.  

Lanning not getting in does not makes sense either, especially with how great he played this year as a two way played at times, shows tons of potential as a ILB with a lot of upside.  He will get drafted despite not being invited to the combine.  

Odd Donnie Ernsberger is listed at RB, I think he is a TE all the way, unless people think of him as a HB/FB type which might happen.  Curious Jaylen Samuels is as a TE as well, most likely he will be a third down RB in the NFL or slot WR.  Jordan Thomas on Miss State is awesome getting in, great to see such a large 6-6 280 TE get a chance despite not having a great year, athletically he is well worth a look at the next level and did flash enough I thought this past year.  

Outside of Ford and Lanning, Jalen Davis and Deatrick Nichols are two huge misses to be at the combine I think.  Especially Jalen Davis who is a nice pure cover corner, good solid tackler and could be a great slot corner as well, and Nichols could play nickle or FS potentially and is a fine playmaker.  

Somebody on Twitter who supposedly works in the league ( @CalhounLambeau will know him) told me that nobody that he had talked to in the NFL had Ford with higher than a PFA grade. While I certainly think he is draftable, he is one of those kind of guys who is way short compared to the standard and has subpar arm length and it's doubtful he'll test well. Teams know what they are going to get, a guy who is probably a situational player at best.

Lanning is a solid player and we all love a great story about this hardworking kid who switched positions for the better of the team. But he is an average athlete who we already got a measurement on at the Shrine Game. Same can be said for Deatrick Nichols. We kind of already know what these guys are, NFL teams generally don't value those types until late, and teams have already seen them up close at All-Star practices as well, so the interest must simply not be high.

Jalen Davis would be the only one among the ones you listed that I would agree pretty strongly about. Would have been nice to see him test in Indy.

Archived