2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Around the league I am seeing teams restructuring deals...even for major players. Yet in GB, nadda. Is it just a forgone conclusion we will not be restructuring Matthews or Cobb at this point?

I kinda feel like cutting Jordy made any restructure impossible.  Wouldn't be a good look for Gute if he went around cutting and restructuring a bunch of guys in their last years.

3 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

This has been discussed, but I'd say once you've proven you can play in the NFL I think that stuff matters a lot less.

No I get it. I’m just saying unless Pettine is pounding the table hard for the guy... it’s still player evaluation. A 5’9” guy is at a natural disadvantage against a 6’0” and up offensive weapon.

Like many have said when team building... you have certain ideals in mind. Having certain thresholds are important. It will be interesting though to see if GB is truly linked to Tyrann by a more reliable outlet.

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Around the league I am seeing teams restructuring deals...even for major players. Yet in GB, nadda. Is it just a forgone conclusion we will not be restructuring Matthews or Cobb at this point?

It was reported GB is trying to extend Cobb or at least had talks. So they probably are trying to restructure.

14 minutes ago, Green19 said:

It was reported GB is trying to extend Cobb or at least had talks. So they probably are trying to restructure.

Thank you for considering the possibilities rather than throwing a hissy about a conclusion you've already drawn in your mind. People were up in arms about Nelson's contract right up until the moment they released him. I think you're right about Cobb. And I think it's something they might do if they NEED to. For instance let's say they come to an agreement with Mathieu. Then you extend Cobb and bring down his 2018 number. Or for that matter, any other player on the roster ripe for restructuring. But why do it before you HAVE to? If they don't land an 8-figure guy, why add years to Cobb or anyone else's contract? It would be foolish to put anything new on future balance sheets until you sign someone who you need the space for.

Alas, the usual suspects will whine incessantly about it not happening until it actually does.

15 minutes ago, Green19 said:

No I get it. I’m just saying unless Pettine is pounding the table hard for the guy... it’s still player evaluation. A 5’9” guy is at a natural disadvantage against a 6’0” and up offensive weapon.

Like many have said when team building... you have certain ideals in mind. Having certain thresholds are important. It will be interesting though to see if GB is truly linked to Tyrann by a more reliable outlet.

The rule exists for the draft alone, I doubt Gute's sees the guy is an All Pro and is worried about his height.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The rule exists for the draft alone, I doubt Gute's sees the guy is an All Pro and is worried about his height.

If you go back to Ron Wolfs comments on the topic, he mentions the challenges as the weather turns:

"...But what happened with the pick of Buckley is suddenly, we all realized, you can't play with little defensive backs in Green Bay. You can't play with little people up there in November and December. It's too hard. We had to get big people and a certain kind of person "

This suggests that the underlying issue was the ability to battle, hold your ground, post up, outjump WRs when it gets cold and slippery in November/December.

My questions is that since the NFL rules have changed so much, is this still a legit concern ? DBs can't mug WRs anymore, we've had rule changes and points of emphasis that took that away. MM talks about big men running down the middle of the field being so valuable because you can't mug them as much anymore

So do you still need "big people" up there in November/December ? Am I off in my reasoning for why they wanted bigger dudes in the first place ?

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Logic behind the rule is pretty simple: there are slow guys who are good at football, there are short guys who are good at football... but there are more far guys who aren't good at football because they are short or slow.  So wait for them to show you that they're good at football.

After all, there are always outliers but they're called that for a reason.

Why restructure Cobb?

We have an opportunity to completely get his contract off the books after this season when he becomes a FA and we can replace him with an equally productive receiver for far less money.

If we're gonna restructure anybody it should be Bakhtiari, Matthews or Daniels.

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

If you go back to Ron Wolfs comments on the topic, he mentions the challenges as the weather turns:

"...But what happened with the pick of Buckley is suddenly, we all realized, you can't play with little defensive backs in Green Bay. You can't play with little people up there in November and December. It's too hard. We had to get big people and a certain kind of person "

This suggests that the underlying issue was the ability to battle, hold your ground, post up, outjump WRs when it gets cold and slippery in November/December.

My questions is that since the NFL rules have changed so much, is this still a legit concern ? DBs can't mug WRs anymore, we've had rule changes and points of emphasis that took that away. MM talks about big men running down the middle of the field being so valuable because you can't mug them as much anymore

So do you still need "big people" up there in November/December ? Am I off in my reasoning for why they wanted bigger dudes in the first place ?

They just rarely turn out to be good players. It's a fine rule to have in the draft. Knowing you're going to miss on the Mathiue/Winfield/Joyner DBs but all those that bust (much higher percentage) you miss too.

However if one comes available in FA and already has shown he can play at an All Pro level you don't cross that talent off the board anymore. He's proven he's an elite talent at his size.

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

Why restructure Cobb?

We have an opportunity to completely get his contract off the books after this season when he becomes a FA and we can replace him with an equally productive receiver for far less money.

Agreed. I want nothing to do with Cobb being extended just to lower his cap hit this year. 

26 minutes ago, Chili said:

Why restructure Cobb?

They could extend him so they are paying him less (per year) moving forward...

Unless we all think Randall is going to sit there and just worry about making as much money as possible, then yeah HE has no reason to extend.

Bakhtiari just signed like 2 years ago (if memory serves correct)... do you really want to restructure him now? That’s going to cost a crazy amount.

They released Nelson because Cobb is a better playmaker at this point. I bet if not now once the season is under way and Cobb’s numbers improve because:

1. Rodgers is back

2. Jordy isn’t here for Rodgers to focus on

They will push to extend him.

Archived