2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Gute just said the Packers are going to be as aggressive in free agency as they can be.  He needs to stop talking.  Now.  He even acknowledged there are limitations, so he's gonna have to stop talking if he doesn't want fans grabbing torches and pitchforks. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/28/brian-gutekunst-packers-will-be-as-aggressive-as-we-can-in-free-agency/

42 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Gute just said the Packers are going to be as aggressive in free agency as they can be.  He needs to stop talking.  Now.  He even acknowledged there are limitations, so he's gonna have to stop talking if he doesn't want fans grabbing torches and pitchforks. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/28/brian-gutekunst-packers-will-be-as-aggressive-as-we-can-in-free-agency/

Really trying not to get to excited but if he can land Fuller, Butler or Talib i'd be extremely happy.

I'm on HorizontoZenith side of the CB argument. Last year after our thrashing from Atlanta in the playoffs it was clear to me that our CB depth was either too small or too slow. They could not deal what was thrown at them at NFL level.

Gunter - too slow

Hawkins - too small

Goodson - too small/ not good enough

Rollins - too slow

Randall - too inconsistent

It was clear that the cornerback group needed a complete overhaul. We started off reasonably by dipped into free agency bringing back House, we then drafted King and brought in several free agents. The most interesting thing about all this was that every player we brought in, down to the UDFAs were all bigger and faster than the guys we already had on the roster. It was a clear attempt by the Packers front office to upgrade our size/speed deficiencies. I was feeling optimistic that there would be an overhaul.

What actually happened instead was that we kept ALL the players we had previously and only added House and King. They basically replaced Shields and Dorleant roster spots. That was not nearly enough in my view and not surprisingly it resulted in another season of uninspired CB play. I felt we could've done more in free agency. It was obvious that our CB group wasn't good enough then and it still isn't good enough now.

House in my view was just a 1 year thing. We could've easily replaced him with another 1 year thing with Davis who is a clear and obvious upgrade. A top NFL CB who is the same age when Woodson joined us.

Peters was a rare elite level player that was available on the cheap. We should've been involved at the very least. Not a peep from us in the NFL rumor mill.

That was two missed opportunities.

Looking at the list of CB free agents the ones who aren't small and slow, Kyle Fuller stands out but not sure if he will make it to FA. Prince Amukamara could be solid rotational depth. In my mind if we can add 2 free agents (one high quality talent and one inexpensive upgrade on House) and also draft a corner we would finally see some significant turnover at cornerback with an upgrade in size and speed.

Just now, moretti19 said:

Really trying not to get to excited but if he can land Fuller, Butler or Talib i'd be extremely happy.

Butler is far too slow for my liking.  I don't want him.  At all.  I do not want a cornerback with speed limitations for the rest of my life.  Talib is more of a crap person than Peters, but he's old.  I'll pass on him.  Fuller is going to be franchise tagged.  Otherwise, yes, I'd like him. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Butler is far too slow for my liking.  I don't want him.  At all.  I do not want a cornerback with speed limitations for the rest of my life.  Talib is more of a crap person than Peters, but he's old.  I'll pass on him.  Fuller is going to be franchise tagged.  Otherwise, yes, I'd like him. 

That pro day 40 time for Butler isn't real..

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I'm on HorizontoZenith side of the CB argument. Last year after our thrashing from Atlanta in the playoffs it was clear to me that our CB depth was either too small or too slow. They could not deal what was thrown at them at NFL level.

Gunter - too slow

Hawkins - too small

Goodson - too small/ not good enough

Rollins - too slow

Randall - too inconsistent

It was clear that the cornerback group needed a complete overhaul. We started off reasonably by dipped into free agency bringing back House, we then drafted King and brought in several free agents. The most interesting thing about all this was that every player we brought in, down to the UDFAs were all bigger and faster than the guys we already had on the roster. It was a clear attempt by the Packers front office to upgrade our size/speed deficiencies. I was feeling optimistic that there would be an overhaul.

What actually happened instead was that we kept ALL the players we had previously and only added House and King. They basically replaced Shields and Dorleant roster spots. That was not nearly enough in my view and not surprisingly it resulted in another season of uninspired CB play. I felt we could've done more in free agency. It was obvious that our CB group wasn't good enough then and it still isn't good enough now.

House in my view was just a 1 year thing. We could've easily replaced him with another 1 year thing with Davis who is a clear and obvious upgrade. A top NFL CB who is the same age when Woodson joined us.

Peters was a rare elite level player that was available on the cheap. We should've been involved at the very least. Not a peep from us in the NFL rumor mill.

That was two missed opportunities.

Looking at the list of CB free agents the ones who aren't small and slow, Kyle Fuller stands out but not sure if he will make it to FA. Prince Amukamara could be solid rotational depth. In my mind if we can add 2 free agents (one high quality talent and one inexpensive upgrade on House) and also draft a corner we would finally see some significant turnover at cornerback with an upgrade in size and speed.

Megatron out of retirement for CB.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

That pro day 40 time for Butler isn't real..

I didn't even look it up.  I'm basing it off what Patriots fans said... While he was a Patriot.  If that's not a red flag, you're color blind. 

30 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I didn't even look it up.  I'm basing it off what Patriots fans said... While he was a Patriot.  If that's not a red flag, you're color blind. 

I still think this all started from his 40 time from his pro day. Maybe he really ran that slow, but he's not that slow.

No thanks on Butler. 

Part if me has faith that Pettine will be able to get more out of this defense then what we had before. 

I’d rather get a draft pick on the cheap then bring on Fuller for high dollars. To me he is slightly better than okay. 

Either get a stud, or pick a db high in the draft. Dont ***** foot. 

Archived