2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If Dez is willing to take a one year deal, I'm interested. Everything in year one is always peachy keen (unless Aaron gets hurt). Dez can put up big numbers, make us a better team and then cash in for his last long term deal and get us a 4th round comp. If he wants his next long term deal right away, I sure as hell am not giving it to him.

absolutely.  It would also have to still be a reasonable 1 year salary as well.  I am not even sure what that would be, $3-5M maybe??

Just now, squire12 said:

absolutely.  It would also have to still be a reasonable 1 year salary as well.  I am not even sure what that would be, $3-5M maybe??

I'd go 5-7 for Dez. I'd go to Aaron and say, we're loading up this team for the season, we need to get your deal done and move some of your salary into bonuses so we can fit 1-2 post June 1 cuts too. Signing a guy to a 1 year deal is pretty much the same as carrying cap over, you just can't use it during the season, but it comes available to you 12 months later. I'd be totally fine using it for Dez, he'd actually fit in quite well on the field. Off the field he'll always be a diva, that's why I have a 1 year limit.

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

And Cobb has had Rodgers throwing to him, I think Dez with Rodgers could be goooood. I mean if we were after Robinson I would think we might be after Dez too and I bet being with Packers would piss off the Cowboys.

Dez might even be willing to take a modest contract from us so he can stick it to the Cowboys. There has been a lot of rivalry between Dallas and Green Bay the last few years. The thing I like about Dez is that he steps up in the big games. It always seems that when the chips are down for Dallas Dez has been that guy steps up and makes the big plays and difficult catches. Dez is 29 years old. He can still play. We might be able to get him for a good deal since he hasn't been that productive the last couple seasons. I kind of think of this as a possible Charles Woodson scenario, where a player is thought to be washed up and have a poor attitude. You can bet that Dez will be looking to prove the Cowboys wrong next year regardless of where he ends up.

39 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I would cut Cobb and sign Dez all day. I take the risk on the upside that Dez gets his groove back with an elite QB. 

So get rid of a good WR on a hunch that a nearly 30 year old WR  “ gets his groove back” when he really hasn’t been good since 2014? Seems like a smart move.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that they can get Dez and keep Cobb?  Adams, Dez and Cobb, not to mention Graham at TE?  Not sure who they would have to cut to make that happen, Bulaga perhaps. Or Aaron restructuring  as was pointed out earlier.

8 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

So get rid of a good WR on a hunch that a nearly 30 year old WR  “ gets his groove back” when he really hasn’t been good since 2014? Seems like a smart move.

The disconnect here is Cobb being a good WR. He’s not. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd go 5-7 for Dez. I'd go to Aaron and say, we're loading up this team for the season, we need to get your deal done and move some of your salary into bonuses so we can fit 1-2 post June 1 cuts too. Signing a guy to a 1 year deal is pretty much the same as carrying cap over, you just can't use it during the season, but it comes available to you 12 months later. I'd be totally fine using it for Dez, he'd actually fit in quite well on the field. Off the field he'll always be a diva, that's why I have a 1 year limit.

If it could be like Wilkerson with some nice incentives on that 1 year deal.  Does not deter GB from selecting a WR in the draft knowing that Cobb and Dez are UFA after 2018.  

38 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

The fact that people are comparing 2018 Dez to 2018 Jordy is astounding. Jordy literally fell off the face of the Earth when Rodgers got hurt. He's done. Dez has never played with a QB like Rodgers and vice versa.

Archived