2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'd say more than just about any QB in the NFL. In fact he's had to make a living off throwing into 2 inch windows and back shoulders in MM's offense. Dez is literally perfect for our offense and would thrive with Rodgers throwing him the rock.

To Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Jones... you know guys he has played with for years and trust.

Which is my point... Dez isn’t a worker. Only now that he gets cut does he want to work. Get a personal coach... understand route run, etc. It was the issue with Janis. Dez doesn’t scream like the guy Rodgers will respect. Dez will get frustrated with the amount of looks he’ll see here.

For Favre, Romo, etc Dez is great. Gunslingers that take chances... Rodgers doesn’t, when he does it’s to his besties in Nelson, Adams and Cobb.

8 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I'd say it's about 50/50 for who wants to keep Cobb vs those who'd rather have a worse team. If that's astounding then you must live a magical life and I envy you. 

The fact you have a viewpoint doesn't mean it's objective. There are flat earther's out there after all. 

Is it an absolute certainty that keeping Cobb makes the team better vs signing Dez?

The irony of the bolded statement related to the opening statement of your post is interesting.

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

To Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Jones... you know guys he has played with for years and trust.

Which is my point... Dez isn’t a worker. Only now that he gets cut does he want to work. Get a personal coach... understand route run, etc. It was the issue with Janis. Dez doesn’t scream like the guy Rodgers will respect. Dez will get frustrated with the amount of looks he’ll see here.

For Favre, Romo, etc Dez is great. Gunslingers that take chances... Rodgers doesn’t, when he does it’s to his besties in Nelson, Adams and Cobb.

I’m gonna disagree there. If there is one positive trait in Dez that we know of is his competitiveness, which is something AR will respect. I don’t doubt they’d get into some spats but with their competitive natures , there’d be some mutual respect.

Id consult with AR for this decision though.

10 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I’m gonna disagree there. If there is one positive trait in Dez that we know of is his competitiveness, which is something AR will respect. I don’t doubt they’d get into some spats but with their competitive natures , there’d be some mutual respect.

Id consult with AR for this decision though.

I’m sure Rodgers would respect the competitiveness... but he won’t trust Dez’s process. Everything about Dez is he has gotten by with his physical talent. It’s why he cant separate now, and why teams know he only runs like 2 routes... because he hasn’t  developed his game and after major leg injuries and age he isn’t beating anyone physically anymore.

Plus look at how emotional he was seconds after getting cut. Going to Twitter,  etc to tell everyone it’s personal and that he just wants to play against Dallas. Then taking an interview that evening in a steakhouse.

Competitive... sure, no argument there. But I don’t think he has the personality or the mind that will earn the trust and respect from Rodgers.

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Is it an absolute certainty that keeping Cobb makes the team better vs signing Dez?

The irony of the bolded statement related to the opening statement of your post is interesting.

The first sentence was meant for a little levity. 

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

. Everything about Dez is he has gotten by with his physical talent. It’s why he cant separate now, and why teams know he only runs like 2 routes... because he hasn’t  developed his game and after major leg injuries and age he isn’t beating anyone physically anymore.

This just isn't based on anything. It never has been.

How would Dez have ever succeeded in this league running only two routes, regardless of physical talent? Honestly, the idea that he can only run two routes is very ridiculous. He also hasn't even really diminished physically. I don't see any physical difference in 2014 Dez vs 2017 Dez. At all. No one has been able to give any actual examples to show the differences in physical ability, either. It's all just made up stuff to explain the lack of production. 

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRp2FNw371Q

9 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The fact that Jordan Matthews signed for such a tiny deal with New England makes me feel better about not signing him honestly.  People always think that the Patriots never make any wrong moves in free agency or trades, but Belichick has made plenty of moves that just flat out don't work out.  With these smaller free agent signings, I'd say he's even on them being hit or miss.  People acted like Belichick robbed the Panthers blind when he moved from the third to the fourth round and acquired Kony Ealy. 

I know I'm late to comment on this, but I just thought it. 

IIRC the guaranteed money is a little over $100,000. That speaks volumes. I'm guessing the Packers just didn't want to deal with whatever is wrong

Per Spotrac, GB has $13,886,197  in available cap space.  

Per Over the cap, GB has $16,231,975 in available cap space.

Neither of those include the Davon House contract, which has not been released as far as I know.

Rookie draft pick cap hit and subsequent adjustment in top 51 (based on contracts on Spotrac)

pick cap hit 2018 remove from top 51 Net cap change
14 $2,507,504 $605,484 $1,902,020
45 $1,140,397 $573,759 $566,638
76 $714,103 $566,666 $147,437
101 $667,830 $566,666 $101,164
133 $593,591 $555,000 $38,591
138 $561,443 $555,000 $6,443
172 $534,630 $555,000 -$20,370
174 $534,630 $555,000 -$20,370
186 $520,689 $555,000 -$34,311
207 $509,732 $480,000 $29,732
232 $502,456 $480,000 $22,456
239 $499,421 $480,000 $19,421

totals $9,286,426 $6,527,575 $2,758,851

So Rookie picks will reduce the current cap space by $2,758,851.

After subtracting the NET rookie cap cost, GB would have available cap space of somewhere between $11M (spotrac numbers) and $13.5M (overthecap numbers).  Still need to subtract the Davon House contract from those numbers as well.  

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Just some levity

Ok lol. I really don't know what's got your panties in such a tight twist, but that's okay. Are you a flat earther and didn't like that part of the comment?

I'm not sure what to tell ya, sorry you didn't find the humor in it. Try to relax. 

6 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Ok lol. I really don't know what's got your panties in such a tight twist, but that's okay. Are you a flat earther and didn't like that part of the comment?

I'm not sure what to tell ya, sorry you didn't find the humor in it. Try to relax. 

Classy post.  Obviously the levity is lost on you.  

Archived