2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

WRs with chronic foot injuries are bad news. He had surgery on it two years in a row.

Ghost says earlier it's healed and fine.. That's what him and his team said before the season and he was getting MRIs on it every week and on the report for it basically every week. 

No offense to whoever wrote that but Watkins should still be the biggest reinjury concern here pretty easily.

Dont disagree with a word. I HATE foot fractures or stress fractures. NFL players put enormous stresses on their feet.

Both players have injury issues.

I cant compare Nelsons injury to Robinsons other than they apparently happened at a similar time of the season - at the beginning. So both were shut down for an entire season and had the off season to recover. Well, IMO - Nelson didnt start looking "Nelson-like" until the second half of his return year. Robinson? I've no clue how severe his injury was, how it will effect his game overall or how long it'll take him to look "Robinson-like".

I'm just say'in. Others way above my pay grade on such matters will have to weigh all the factors - but its to be considered. Thats as definitive as I can say.

No one seems to be talking about Jordy Nelson's newest move. The slide he goes into immediately after catching a ball.  His yards after catch have to be way down from years past. For that reason if I had to choose between the two I think I'd take Cobb. 

Robinson

Adams

Matthews

Was my WR rankings for the Packers in 2014 (knew we had no shot at Sammy, Evans, OBJ or Cooks). To have both the top 2 on the same team would be awesome. 

Hell if it doesn't work out I wouldn't mind Matthews later in the process on a cheaper deal. I think he's gotten the short end of the stick thus far in his career. Loved him out of Vandy.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Robinson

Adams

Matthews

Was my WR rankings for the Packers in 2014 (knew we had no shot at Sammy, Evans, OBJ or Cooks). To have both the top 2 on the same team would be awesome. 

Hell if it doesn't work out I wouldn't mind Matthews later in the process on a cheaper deal. I think he's gotten the short end of the stick thus far in his career. Loved him out of Vandy.

Matthews.....the guy that went to Philly (?) and then to where?

6 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

All this speed talk about Watkins and I see a guy who tested very average and so far that testing has held up in the NFL. That Clemson tape just really hasn’t ever showed up consistently.

IDK what he tested like, but I'm cool with his NFL game, injuries aside, he feels like he does everything pretty well. He's just well rounded to me. But whenever someone talks about him, I feel like he's "a deep threat" because of what his 40 was....

It's like all we talk about is what he did at the combine.

And no, he's not near as dominate. Larry shat on everyone in college and is a  HOFer, but he didn't look near as freaky dominate up here, just flat out produced (and now someone will post me their stats side by side as if I was comparing them directly :/)

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Robinson

Adams

Matthews

I didn't realize he was even FA lol

10 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

No one seems to be talking about Jordy Nelson's newest move. The slide he goes into immediately after catching a ball.  His yards after catch have to be way down from years past. For that reason if I had to choose between the two I think I'd take Cobb. 

As much as that was annoying a few times this year, I don't think that should be the deciding factor...

Any QB with a decent arm can chuck a ball up for grabs, given he has an athletic receiver with the size and strength to go up and grab it.  When you have a precision passer like ARod, you make make your living on things other QB’s can’t do.  There was a time when ARod to Jordy on sideline back-shoulder throws were lethal - at any distance downfield!  Almost impossible to defend and very effective in regular or hurry-up situations.  Jordy was money in that scheme when he had speed and quickness.  It’s versatile because you can hitch that route, juke the defender into thinking it’s a back shoulder play, and break wide open deep in single, and sometimes even double safety coverages.  Heck, even if a defense saw that play coming a mile away, they still couldn’t defend it.

Now that Jordy has lost a step in both speed and quickness, we’re seeing fewer and fewer of those opportunities.  The question becomes, what can Jordy still do well and is his final negotiated price worth it?  Or, do you transition to another younger, faster receiver with the versatile tools to be effective with a precision passer like ARod?  Comes down to money and need, among other things, but regardless of how much need there is on defense, I’m hopeful through FA or the draft they’re able to get ARod some playmakers to keep safeties and linebackers honest, which gives Jones and company more room to run, etc.

I cut the 5 foot 8 receiver with speed deficiencies, only successful on broken plays, WR every day of the week. Cobb's contract was a product of his great red=zone production, and a few splash play here or there. Love Cobb, but dude is an average, possibly below average, NFL receiver. 

20 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

I cut the 5 foot 8 receiver with speed deficiencies, only successful on broken plays, WR every day of the week. Cobb's contract was a product of his great red=zone production, and a few splash play here or there. Love Cobb, but dude is an average, possibly below average, NFL receiver. 

Is Cobb shrinking?!! Haha

Archived