Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

CriminalMind

It sounds like a lot of people are positive about this hire.  I don't know much about DeFilippo, but the positive comments in this thread are a good sign.  One thing I am kind of wondering about, however, is the sentiment that he could end up being the eventual successor to Mike Zimmer as head coach.  As much potential as DeFilippo seems to have for a future as a head coach, I would be in no hurry to push Zim out the door.  He is a proven commodity, and if he wants to stay for the next 10 years I would be just fine with that.  I'd be surprised if DeFilippo would be willing to hang around long enough to wait for Zimmer to retire if he has a lot of other opportunities presenting themselves in the meantime.

On another note, one question I would like to ask of the people who know something about DeFilippo is what do you see him doing on the QB situation in Minnesota?  Would he go with one of the three QB's currently here, or would he prefer to draft a young QB and develop him?   

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Which one of the three do you think he is most likely to choose?

I’m not sure how much say he’ll have in the  matter when it comes to the three currently on the roster, but if I had to guess, I think it would be Bridgewater. 

A few different reasons for that guess;

1.) DeFilippo’s comments regarding what he looks for in a QB. All 3 quarterbacks match his opinion on completion % and INT %, but his comments about a QB needing to be able to move and not be a “stick in the mud” pretty much rules out Bradford, leaving Bridgewater and Keenum. 

2.) You don’t make such an aggressive push for, and ultimately hire a coach, who’s got a reputation as a good developer for the QB position and not keep the QB who’s still developing. 

3.) If the team was planning on, or leaning towards, bringing Keenum back, you would think that they’d have simply promoted Stefanski, and keep the continuity. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not sure how much say he’ll have in the  matter when it comes to the three currently on the roster, but if I had to guess, I think it would be Bridgewater. 

1.) DeFilippo’s comments regarding what he looks for in a QB. All 3 quarterbacks match his opinion on completion % and INT %, but his comments about a QB needing to be able to move and not be a “stick in the mud” pretty much rules out Bradford, leaving Bridgewater and Keenum. 

2.) You don’t make such an aggressive push for, and ultimately hire a coach, who’s got a reputation as a good developer for the QB position and not keep the QB who’s still developing. 

3.) If the team was planning on, or leaning towards, bringing Keenum back, you would think that they’d have simply promoted Stefanski, and keep the continuity. 

Those are good points, Semper.  I hope we end up sticking with Teddy. 

i guess i realized something this morning that all you other geniuses probably have already seen, when i was thinking about the reports we will have difficulty holding on to DeFlip. it's this...

not that i think it's necessarily likely, but think if the Vikes made it to and won the Super Bowl this coming season, and with a much improved offense which would be necessary. JDF would then have been on the offensive design and leadership teams of two consecutive Super Bowl winning teams, and two different teams at that.

he would be the new God of all NFL Coaches.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:58 AM, SemperFeist said:

Did the Vikings just hire their next head coach?

Looking at how things played out this offseason, and seeing how hard the Vikings pursued DeFilippo, I can’t help but wonder if there isn’t an alterior motive for the hire. For a team that looks to be contending for the foreseeable future, it seems a bit odd to pursue someone with so little OC experience, and who is more likely than not a one and done coach before moving up the ranks. 

We saw the Vikings show considerable foresight with their coaching staff before, when they hired Pat Shurmur, a highly respected QB coach and solid offensive coordinator, as the tight ends coach. No one with any sense of logic believed that Shurmur joined the staff with the sole purpose of being the tight ends coach. Many expected him to be the heir apparent to Norv Turner. And while I don’t think anyone expected Norv to resign, retirement was certainly not out of the question. 

Zimmer will be 62 in June, and with a  notable health issue regarding his eye and vision, retirement in the next year or two certainly can’t be ruled out. So, could we be seeing similar foresight regarding the future of this team’s head coaching position? 

First, alterior is not a word.  Ulterior is.  :D^_^

Second, I'm keeping in my back pocket the notion that Zimmer will be around for 5 more years, at which point Kevin Stefanski will take over as HC.  It'd only be poetic justice.  

On 2/10/2018 at 12:03 PM, SemperFeist said:

Playing some devil's advocate:

In response to point 1, Bridgewater wasn't a "stick in the mud" in the past, but I don't think we can say with any certainty that his mobility hasn't taken a steep dive. The team, of course, will know much more of this and it will probably factor largely into the decision of which QB to keep, if any.

In response to point 2, while Teddy is still developing, I don't know that this immediately translates into him being the guy to keep around. It could just as easily point to drafting a rookie to receive that development while saddling said rookie behind a veteran, someone like Case, who provides the mobility and playstyle that fits with Defilippo. Again, this could heavily depend on Teddy's physical limitations.

In response to point 3, the absolutely kept the continuity needed to justify keeping any one of our QB's by retaining Stefanski. Having been around the offense, and having been the QB coach over the last year, gives him the most intimate knowledge of each players strengths, weaknesses, and insight on future potential when weighted against the scheme we will run. Keeping Stefanski allows him to be the primary adviser to DeFilippo and the front office (assuming the decision is made with input from all stations) as to what QB will work best, which QB may not be the best option but who could work well, and which QB/QB's could end up struggling. By keeping Stefanski with the team, I think there is an equally strong argument for either Teddy or Case to be retained.

My overall thought is that both Teddy and Case are very realistic options, with Case's downsides being salary commanded and risk of a dropoff, and Teddy's being the obvious continued implications of his injury along with previously solid yet unspectacular play. My gut says they will retain Bridgewater due to the cheaper contract and seek further help from a vet FA and the draft, or we will go after one of the more high profile free agents (Case being a real option) and run with that FA and Sloter as the main QB options. I do think people forget that Sloter had shown enough in his first preseason to make him a priority, and still is in that raw developmental stage as well. 

DeFilippo and Downing, two young coaches with recent success of developing young QBs? Sounds like we might be in the mix for drafting a QB early. 

Although, if you don’t expect DeFilippo to be around beyond this year, it doesn’t make much sense to draft a QB early. 

Archived