BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

19 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Walt agrees that Fuller is a BDL stud.

""Will Fuller, meanwhile, is a dynamic speed threat who caught five passes for 125 yards and two touchdowns in the aforementioned Seattle game.""

If only you had a competent QB to throw the ball to him, you would be all set!

• Like 2

So while we're all just aimlessly checking in and not really doing much.....wanna talk about the topics before the Owner's meeting starts?

- Reduce the % of 3ups from 85% to 75%
- BDL Cap is set at NFL cap (in thousands) for the given season
- Add Franchise Tag - Franchise tag player for 1 year at the average of the top 5 players at their position in the BDL if they're set to become a UFA.
- Increase # of years on mid to late round picks
- Increase the FA minimum bid from 40% to 50% of IRL salary
- Reduce Max contract size for players from 6 years to 5 years

Just now, Hockey5djh said:

Add Franchise Tag - Franchise tag player for 1 year at the average of the top 5 players at their position in the BDL if they're set to become a UFA.

I'm assuming for this one we'd adopt all of the typical Franchise tag details as well? Aka you can only franchise someone twice. If you franchise them a second time its 120% of the salary.

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

- Increase the FA minimum bid from 40% to 50% of IRL salary

I'm not a big fan of this one but I'm willing to listen. There weren't many people signed in FA to begin with because of this restriction. I think raising it just puts more people in the Tank for 1 year deals. Also if the person is worth the spend in FA more than likely there will be more than one person who thinks so as well and naturally will raise the price tag.

9 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

- BDL Cap is set at NFL cap (in thousands) for the given season

I like this rule to keep the league up to date with rising contracts. It also takes out the variables to raising the BDL cap as the current system is "wait until someone complains the cap is too low and then raise it a low arbitrary amount that doesn't make someone else complain"

4 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

I like this rule to keep the league up to date with rising contracts. It also takes out the variables to raising the BDL cap as the current system is "wait until someone complains the cap is too low and then raise it a low arbitrary amount that doesn't make someone else complain"

Actually we voted to raise the cap every year going forward this past Winter. So you can plan now going forward. Comparatively,  we've been at $170 for awhile now and the NFL salary cap for 2017 was only $167M.  This year it jumped to $177M and next year is supposed to go to $190. A $20K increase for next year is insane IMO. We also don't have all the other minutiae of the NFL Salary cap like carrying over cap and dead cap space, which is something we don't want. So having the caps be equal make no sense IMO. 

The better way to deal with these contract increases is to reign in the 3 Up numbers. It will amount to the same thing in the end and is much more manageable.

I wasn't even going to put that up to a vote because if it went through I would likely quit the league. Writing Blank Checks for everyone is not the answer.

Beginning in 2019, we will have a standard per year increase of the BDL salary cap of 2.5%. Rounding to the nearest $25 increment.

YTY Salary Cap

2018 - $170,000

2019 - $174,250

2020 - $178,600

2021 - $183,075

Etc.Etc.

The way we have done this in the past is every 2-3 years we just vote to Bump the Cap by about $5K. Structuring it this way would allow you to plan better for future contract increases in the BDL to match rising NFL contracts. I chose 2.5% to be somewhat on the cautious side. It should be enough but later down the road we can look at adjusting if needed.

• Like 2