The Hundley Debacle: Who's to Blame?

Greg C.

So that's a wrap for Hundley?  No chance he can improve himself and become a reliable backup now that he has some experience, actual playing time under his belt?  This reminds me of a couple of years ago when people were ready to run Devonte Adams out of town for a bad season.  He certainly turned it around and I see no reason not to give Hundley the same opportunity.  He may flame out again but as was pointed out in an earlier post if Rodgers goes down for an extended period of time again the season is over regardless of who the backup is.  

3 minutes ago, Apex said:

So that's a wrap for Hundley?  No chance he can improve himself and become a reliable backup now that he has some experience, actual playing time under his belt?  This reminds me of a couple of years ago when people were ready to run Devonte Adams out of town for a bad season.  He certainly turned it around and I see no reason not to give Hundley the same opportunity.  He may flame out again but as was pointed out in an earlier post if Rodgers goes down for an extended period of time again the season is over regardless of who the backup is.  

I don't think he has it.  There wasn't any signs of improvement that I noticed over his time as a starter.  I'm not sure if he offers much while holding the clipboard either.  I mean, what does he tell Rodgers on the sideline?  "Hey Aaron, on that third and eight you know you could have rolled right and thrown that one out of bounds."

Just now, Apex said:

If you ask people here, that's pretty much the case.  I disagree though.  You can't play as well as he played in some games and have no hope for being a reliable backup. 

I didn’t really think it was any one persons fault. Ted drafted a QB with some tools that MM could work with. MM coached him up for a couple years and when he was given reps whether it be practice or preseason, he showed some promise. Now, after Hundley had a few games under his belt I’m not sure if you blame MM or TT for not bringing in a Vet backup. Hundley could still be a solid backup going forward.  8? games isn’t really enough to make a difinitive statement about any one player. I don’t see it has some HUGE failed experiment.  

Hundley still has a chance.

Last year was like an avalanche in every way. Week after week he was looking to keep from going under. I'm guessing there was zero time to have anything really sink in. After an off-season and a training camp we will see if last years struggles turn into the game slowing down for him. If you've ever played sports you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. No way to forecast if or how much this will happen

20 hours ago, Apex said:

Sure, he could improve .. just want to see him face a real challenge for his job.  If he rises to the occasion and beats the competition out .. great.  Last year he didn't really have a strong camp, but was basically given his job after not facing a serious competition.

Take away the last 2 games which we basically tanked and Hundley was 3-4 as a starter. For a young quarterback starting for the first time that isn't really that bad. There was no fiasco. No-one is to blame. In isolation with any back-up in the league, you would probably take that record  if Rodgers missed 7 games. The team is built around Rodgers and always has been. Once he was down for the season - the season was up. 

Eagles won the super-bowl with a QB back-up but that doesn't mean anyone can. It was a one-off. If we spend decent money on a back-up and he starts then you are looking at one of the weakest starting QBs in the league. Does anyone think we can win the superbowl with a bottom 25% starting QB ?  Me neither. The vast majority of time the back-up QB doesn't really matter and isn't going to win the super-bowl for you unless you are an extremely well balanced roster that doesn't depend on a franchise QB. The best you can hope for is that your back-up can get you through some games until your franchise QB comes back.

Hundley didn't look pretty, he didn't look like a particularly good QB but to all intent and purposes Hundley did exactly that - get us through with some wins until Rodgers came back.

The problem was Rodgers didn't really come back - his season was over when he broke his collarbone. Spending 6m on a good back-up wouldn't have changed anything. More than happy to bring in some competition as long as its cheap. The last thing I want us to do is to spend a decent amount of money on a back-up QB when it could be spent on someone who gives us a better a chance of winning the superbowl.

Ultimately, you don't know how well a young QB is going to do till he plays. There was no fiasco - if you don't make Hundley the backup last year, there is no point in ever drafting a young quarterback. You roll the dice and it didn't work out - that's life with a young untested QB. And even when it didn't work out - it still achieved what you would want from a back-up QB which would be to given Rodgers a shot if he had returned fit.

Hundley doesn't have it.  No he is not a capable back up nor will he ever be.  I'll say he did improve his pocket awareness and that's about it.  A QB needs to be able to throw the fricken ball.  His accuracy was terrible as was his decision making.  Was willing to catch him a break for the first few games to let him find his footing.  He showed he doesn't have it.  Real shame but the Packers MUST find a capable back up in the offseason.

1 hour ago, malak1 said:

Realistically, Packers fans are to blame. No one really expected this dude to be any good, except you all. So you guys set yourselves up for disappointment.

I don't see that at all. In 2017, The Packers thought enough of Hundley to keep him over the very promising Taysom Hill. Ted thought Hundley was THE best prospect on his board in round 5, when he was drafted.

Brian Brohm (a second round pick) was gone not far into his second season, Hundley lasted 3 seasons and still counting.

6 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I don't see that at all. In 2017, The Packers thought enough of Hundley to keep him over the very promising Taysom Hill. Ted thought Hundley was THE best prospect on his board in round 5, when he was drafted.

Brian Brohm (a second round pick) was gone not far into his second season, Hundley lasted 3 seasons and still counting.

Hundley was the definition of a project QB. If I were a Packers fan, I wouldn’t place the blame on anyone (McCarthy, TT, et al.), Hundley was basically a lottery ticket that turned out to not be that great. 

I fully expect MM to do everything in his power to ride another year with Hundley at QB2.  After the early success developing Rodgers and Flynn, MM has had some serious blinders on when it comes to the development of his QB2's.  Flynn's performance more or less gave MM a pass on the Brohm debacle.  GB hasn't had a competent QB2 on the roster since Flynn left, and I don't especially expect 2018 to be any different.

Archived