Offseason Rumor Thread

49erurtaza

13 hours ago, The LBC said:

They can, but IMHO they're not as bad, within a locker room, as the media and fans want to make them out to be - i.e. if you have a good, constructive locker room culture, player's that are diva's or whatever are really easy to just brush off your shoulder.  If a player or group of players start eroding your locker room culture then there's clear reason for concern, but that's on the coaching staff and generally speaks to the culture of the organization as a whole.  More often than not, we see people using the "he's a distraction" as a way of saving face for not wanting to say "I don't like what he's doing/have different beliefs than him and want to shun (for lack of a better word) him, but can't."  Or in the case of some (tends to be the more old school variety) coaches saying it, it's akin to "I don't understand this guy or he doesn't just deferentially comply on command, and I'm certainly not going to shoulder any of the fault for that," (i.e. the old dog has no interest in learning new tricks).

I mean, go all the way back to Randy Moss.  He became the poster child for "The Patriot Way," because Belichick was smart enough to realize that a winning culture and a strong locker room can overcome just about anything.

This is fair. People often think that it is a distraction that a coach has to answer questions about a player at a presser, which is ridiculous to say the least. For the Giants in particular, they care about media perception whereas Patriots don’t care. And the Giants if they do the unthinkable which is trading him, will be doing so on the basis of “media perception”. We often overlook that in a locker room, not all 53 like one another. They only care about your effort and play on the field. 

16 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Honest question, and this just doesn’t apply to Odell, do distractions exist in football or sports for that matter? When they say so and so player is a distraction, does it even exist?

It can matter and does exist IMO, but gets thrown in the trunk if the team’s winning games. 

For jnstance, a guy like Terrell Owens was an issue because he made the locker room divisive. Diva WRs like OBJ or younger Dez Bryant never did anything like that. I think it becomes more of a distraction or problem when a player can essentially drag others down with them or if they commit a crime. 

Some caveats are that I don’t think one guy tanks a locker room - there has to either be a weak structure from coaching or other irritable players for it to be really bad - and you usually hear about these things with teams that are losing for a reason. 

As per other sports, I think it’s even more important for good chemistry because of the smaller rosters. Baseball and basketball teams can be derailed by one guy IYAM.

19 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It can matter and does exist IMO, but gets thrown in the trunk if the team’s winning games. 

For jnstance, a guy like Terrell Owens was an issue because he made the locker room divisive. Diva WRs like OBJ or younger Dez Bryant never did anything like that. I think it becomes more of a distraction or problem when a player can essentially drag others down with them or if they commit a crime. 

Some caveats are that I don’t think one guy tanks a locker room - there has to either be a weak structure from coaching or other irritable players for it to be really bad - and you usually hear about these things with teams that are losing for a reason. 

As per other sports, I think it’s even more important for good chemistry because of the smaller rosters. Baseball and basketball teams can be derailed by one guy IYAM.

See that’s my point, you just said it gets thrown in the trunk if you’re winning. Do with that opinion, if winning tosses that to the side then is it really having an impact and is it a distraction at that?

TO is completely different, and that’s what’s being portrayed out there. If something in the locker room boils on to the field then yeah I can see that. I think we truly underestimate the way teams ignore outside noise and mistakenly ignore how majority of players are able tune in regardless of what goes on. People place way  too much emphasis on that. 

I understand with what you are saying though.

14 hours ago, DaveDX said:

There's talk of the Rams possibly getting a player.  By now, shouldn't there be a bunch of Eagles fans talking about why it's a bad move, why it won't matter, and making it all about them?

I’m sure someone will be along soon to rile you guys up with a take.

in the meantime I will try to satiate you with a take designed to trigger you guys just as much.......

Sean McVay isn’t that handsome...

32 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I’m sure someone will be along soon to rile you guys up with a take.

in the meantime I will try to satiate you with a take designed to trigger you guys just as much.......

Sean McVay isn’t that handsome...

Playoff wins are the ultimate determination of handsomeness 

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why do Rams fans and Eagles fans have such a beef? You guys don't seem like rivals to me yet.   ...although I have a feeling this is going to be the new NE-IND rivalry.

Goff vs Wentz. Pederson vs McVay. Both rebuilding around the same time frame. Rams ended Wentz season. Eagles won the regular season matchup in spite of the injury and it was one of the best games of the year last year. That should about sum up the beef lol

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why do Rams fans and Eagles fans have such a beef? You guys don't seem like rivals to me yet.   ...although I have a feeling this is going to be the new NE-IND rivalry.

We just like having beef reguardless of who is on the other end of it. Rams fans are just taking the bait the most. xD

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Goff vs Wentz. Pederson vs McVay. Both rebuilding around the same time frame. Rams ended Wentz season. Eagles won the regular season matchup in spite of the injury and it was one of the best games of the year last year. That should about sum up the beef lol

Wentz ended his own season. Running around like it's peewee ball or something. 

15 hours ago, DaveDX said:

There's talk of the Rams possibly getting a player.  By now, shouldn't there be a bunch of Eagles fans talking about why it's a bad move, why it won't matter, and making it all about them?

Sorry. I've been slacking.

This make up for it?

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

There can’t be a rivalry without beef lol. I want a Goff v Wentz rivalry. They will always be tied to the hip because Rams traded up for Goff because according to Fisher; he was watching Cal tape on a player in 2015 (Goff sophomore year) and Goff caught his eye and a year later the Rams agressively drafted him. The Eagles obviously fell in love with Wentz and move up twice to get him. Both franchises were criticized for the moves. Both head coaches were criticized whether or not they could be successful leaders. While both are positioned themselves to be two of the top franchises in the NFL for awhile. So as a Rams fan and a believer in both Goff and Wentz, I want them to be the new Brady v Peyton rivalry. I want the Rams to battle the Eagles regularly not just in the regular season but in the playoffs, preferably in the NFCCG for the right to represent the conference in the Superbowl. 

8 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Sorry. I've been slacking.

This make up for it?

giphy.gif

*slow ??* enjoy all of it, the Eagles deserved it, but it’s a new league year and the Rams have announced that they are coming lol. We are like Erick Killmonger from the Black Panther, we are coming for the throne. 

Archived