Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

30 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

We're going to get our QBs is year. 

We're going to get a few defensive pieces.

Makes no sense to pass on a generational talent at any skill position. Top 10 RBs taken since 2007:

2017:

4. Fournette

8. McCafferey

2016:

4. Ezekiel Elliott

2015: 

10. Todd Gurley +

2012:

3. Trent Richardson GOAT

2010: 

9. C.J. Spiller

2008:

4. Darren McFadden

2007:

7. Adrian Peterson +

Went back to 2007 to show that when there was a blue chip RB prospect, teams were never afraid to take him in the top 10. + sign indicates a player taken despite injury concerns. The years where there was no RB in the top 10, the top RB prospects were:

2009:

knowshon moreno

2011:

Mark Ingram

2013:

Giovanni Bernard

2014: 

Bishop Sankey

Recently (since 2015), the relevance of the RB in their respective offense has increased and has had a positive correlation with the talent level of the player. This is creating a lower bust rate. RBs are trending up. I went all the way back to the late 90s and it was true then as well. 

He can’t be a generational talent as I’ve heard that same proclamation about a half dozen running backs in the last decade.  

“But this guy really is!” ...... yeah, I know.

Instead of looking at success rate of backs, which imo is fairly irrelevant, look at the role the position plays on championship teams and what the type of investment those teams made on those players. Then tell me we need to spend a 4th overall pick on one.

29 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

The argument isn't Top 5 QB vs Top 5 RB Einstein

Besides...as previously discussed...top 5 guys at their position are drafted all over the place.  You can get great qb's past the first round, as well as great rb's.

I say take the QB all day every day at 1.  I would not advocate taking Barkley at 1.  If he is there at 4, I believe he is the best offensive talent in this draft, and that we should take him.

Others don't value the position

Yeah the two best RB's in the last draft were Kimara and Hunt and they were both 3rd round picks. 

My point is though, even if Barkley lives up to all the hype and becomes a HOF'er, if one guy in this draft class ends up being a top 5 QB in the league during his career and you didn't try to get a QB first, you lost the draft because you are in control of your destiny here.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He can’t be a generational talent as I’ve heard that same proclamation about a half dozen running backs in the last decade.  

Instead of looking at success rate of backs, which imo is fairly irrelevant, look at the role the position plays on championship teams and what the type of investment those teams made on those players. Then tell me we need to spend a 4th overall pick on one.

'but this guy really is' 

Barkley IS the best athlete of the bunch. 

Barkley is probably the best receiver of the bunch (CJ Spiller and Run CMC also in discussion)

Barkley is probably the most elusive and best outside the tackles (maybe Gurley instead)

He's not the best inside (Zeke & Fournette) or blocking (Zeke) but he's better that most of the others there as well. 

So yes, I have heard 'hes the best since xxxx' as well, but its pretty easy to point at Barkley and show that he actually is better than them in lots of key areas. 

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The classic bait and switch. "RBs are irrelevant and shouldn't be taken high in the draft." Shows proof Gms do take them high. "Yeah but championship teams don't have great RBs." 

Thats obviously not how GMs think or they wouldn't take them high. 

Super bowl rosters with 1st round RBs:

2016: Jonathan stewart

2014: Marshawn Lynch

2011: Rashard Mendenhall

2010: Joseph Addai

2009: Edgerrin James

2008: Laurence Maroney 

2007: Joseph Addai, Thomas Jones

2006: Shaun Alexander

Super Bowl GMs see the importance of having a 1st round RB on their roster.

1 minute ago, bosko1616 said:

Is anyone going take into account how bad  penn state OL and the fact he consistently seen 10 plus guys in the box. 

Also mike Whites looking for like a 2-3 pick

Sure but why would that be different for him in the NFL on the Browns?

12 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

Sure but why would that be different for him in the NFL on the Browns?

Because we have a top 10 line and future HOF at LT. If we grab a guy in FA we can be our bridge your going to really put 10 in the BOX with Gordon and Coleman on the outside. Lol

45 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

Gordon is barely reliable. Coleman hasn't proven jack. We have that future HOFer for maybe another season. Our line is decent but with a new QB, huge questions at WR, a couple weaker parts up front on the line... 

Yeah the box will be stacked. 

Do you know what your talking about ? 

Bitonio, tretter,Zeitler are a top 5 interior line. JT is JT he’s just that good so what if it’s year to year now, we’ll find a guy to groom. Coleman is great against the Run his pass needs work but he’s getting there. We easily have a top 10 line. I’m anticipating Gordon being there and I think he’s going to be a top 10 guy this year. Coleman has proven that he’s a deep threat since college days. Okay he’s been injured but when he’s on the field he’s a difference maker. Njuko has the potential to be a stud. Add Bradford,McCarron, or Keenum and Barkey will do fine and won’t have stacked boxes all the time. We have talent. ALOT more then we’re given credit for. It’s QB play and inconsistent coaching decisions that’s been our demise. 

1 hour ago, pnies20 said:

The classic bait and switch. "RBs are irrelevant and shouldn't be taken high in the draft." Shows proof Gms do take them high. "Yeah but championship teams don't have great RBs." 

Thats obviously not how GMs think or they wouldn't take them high. 

Super bowl rosters with 1st round RBs:

2016: Jonathan stewart

2014: Marshawn Lynch

2011: Rashard Mendenhall

2010: Joseph Addai

2009: Edgerrin James

2008: Laurence Maroney 

2007: Joseph Addai, Thomas Jones

2006: Shaun Alexander

Super Bowl GMs see the importance of having a 1st round RB on their roster.

Does another GM’s first rounder count now too?

And when did I say first rounder? I’m talking top 5.

The only top 5 pick in that group was signed as a free agent.

And you think I bait and switch.....

I'm not wholesale disagreeing with your assessment of the line but to just say that it's great is kind of false. You never know. But let's just call that our strength. 

Gordon hasn't done anything to suggest he is back. Blaming it on the QB is fine and dandy but that doesn't take away from the fact that he hasn't been relevant for three years. Coleman is often injured and inconsistent. He's fast, sure. But he got outplayed by Higgins last year and that's garbage. Njoku I like but he has feet for hands, he was a huge liability this year so to say he has potential to be a stud is sugar coating it. He has physical tools but he hasn't translated it to the field in any type of assuring way. 

McCarron has never started before. People are trying to make him out to be the next Garappolo. He would immediately become overpaid if we signed him. I just don't see him as much more than a spot starter. I think Bradford would be the best of the bunch but he has a long injury history and can't be counted on. 

So to me, in about 6 months, we're gonna have an inconsistent WR corps, probably a rookie QB or Kizer on the field, and potentially Barkley. Hard to be super optimistic that goes smoothly. 

Archived